Farcry 4 and Assassin's Creed Unity missing from Steam?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Flammablezeus said:
About time Steam started implementing some quality control.
oh u

you know what? im actually more excited for Valkyria Chronicles than any Ubi title anyways, i was slightly interested on Farcry 4 but well, tough luck they dont want my money

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Rozalia1 said:
Ima Lemming said:
I think we all know what the next Jimquisition is going to be about. Ubisoft just won't let the man talk about anything else.
About Ubisoft being "bad guys" by not having their game on Steam? What?
I feel that argument would have more bite if Ubisoft hadn't been using Steam since 2006. Yeah yeah uPay didn't launch until 2009. Fair enough. What stopped them from launching everything on PC exclusively on uPay after the Assassin's Creed 2 debacle? It sucked. What stopped them from having confidence in Ubisoft two years ago when they announced uPay fixed piracy? It didn't stop piracy. What stopped them from having confidence in uPay exclusivity with the launch of the next-gen juggernaut Watch_Dogs? Seriously tell me, because that game was supposed to define what the next console generation was about. Also, it still sucked and broke play logins to a single player game on PC. What stopped them in having confidence in uPay that they offered those games for pre-sale on Steam to fucking begin with? Where is that pre-order money now?

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
Don't know about that, more they can sell the merrier in my view.

Besides. I wouldn't complain too much concerning AC: Unity. Wait a few weeks or even maybe a month and the damn thing will be on sale just like AC 3 was. Its not that big of a deal. Hell some of the characters that are on AC: Unity, you already know as to what happens to them so its not like there is even suspense to keep you interested.

Now Far Cry 4 Hmmm...

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
About bloody time, if you're going to make something like Uplay than do it right. How can anyone have any semblance of confidence in such a service if Ubisoft themselves clearly don't. They are a big company, everyone knows their games and its the PC platform...paying Valve's toll makes zero sense for them.
Uplay's problems stem from it being an entirely vestigial service that adds nothing and in many cases makes life more difficult for people who just want to play their damn games. Case in point: their asinine "Uplay rewards", which is just putting a ridiculous gate around some in-game content.

So is that master race garbage come from proclaimed PC superiority? Or being a Valvite? The bloody games are on PC, the experience will be the same...and you hate them because they did a business decision that cut out the pointless middleman than what can I say that won't be taken as absolutely heart breaking.
Pointless? It's like you going to the supermarket to buy a bottle of Coke, but all of a sudden Coke decides you have to drop into a special 'Coke store' if you want to actually open and drink your Coke. Then they refuse to stock it in supermarkets anymore, so you have to go to the Coke store.

But to keep going with this analogy, the Coke store is randomly closed at various hours of the day, and occasionally when you buy a Coke the bottle is 'corrupted' and you can't finish drinking it.

Uplay is absolute shit. Steam has problems, but Uplay is made of failure and inconvenience.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
Rozalia1 said:
About Ubisoft being "bad guys" by not having their game on Steam? What?
Of course they're the bad guys, if they were making a game I wanted to play, but they didn't put it on Steam, I wouldn't be able to wait 18 months and get it 75% off. If I can't get everything 75% off, I can only play 25% as many games. Only a truly monstrous company would do something like this to me.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Mezahmay said:
I feel that argument would have more bite if Ubisoft hadn't been using Steam since 2006. Yeah yeah uPay didn't launch until 2009. Fair enough. What stopped them from launching everything on PC exclusively on uPay after the Assassin's Creed 2 debacle? It sucked. What stopped them from having confidence in Ubisoft two years ago when they announced uPay fixed piracy? It didn't stop piracy. What stopped them from having confidence in uPay exclusivity with the launch of the next-gen juggernaut Watch_Dogs? Seriously tell me, because that game was supposed to define what the next console generation was about. Also, it still sucked and broke play logins to a single player game on PC. What stopped them in having confidence in uPay that they offered those games for pre-sale on Steam to fucking begin with? Where is that pre-order money now?
What stopped them? I'm not privy to that information, and yes it'd have made a lot of sense if they'd done if from the get go with the launch of Uplay, but perhaps they were wanting to give it all some time so they could safely without it affecting their sales later take the step towards cutting steam out.

Shamanic Rhythm said:
Uplay's problems stem from it being an entirely vestigial service that adds nothing and in many cases makes life more difficult for people who just want to play their damn games. Case in point: their asinine "Uplay rewards", which is just putting a ridiculous gate around some in-game content.
And? Your point? People said/say the same thing about EA's effort, and Steam hardily was free of this initially either (and even today it's not exactly immune). Seems people are so stuck in the ground thinking Steam = PC platform that any effort that goes against that is to be hated.

And besides even if you buy on Steam you still require Uplay...so...what exactly is the issue? You'll need to have it regardless so the downloading it isn't a problem as you'll have it...so...what?

Shamanic Rhythm said:
Pointless? It's like you going to the supermarket to buy a bottle of Coke, but all of a sudden Coke decides you have to drop into a special 'Coke store' if you want to actually open and drink your Coke. Then they refuse to stock it in supermarkets anymore, so you have to go to the Coke store.

But to keep going with this analogy, the Coke store is randomly closed at various hours of the day, and occasionally when you buy a Coke the bottle is 'corrupted' and you can't finish drinking it.

Uplay is absolute shit. Steam has problems, but Uplay is made of failure and inconvenience.
Of course not. Your example makes it sound like they brought out their own pre-made PC and made their games exclusive to it.
Its on PC, you don't need to go buy a new PC to play their games.

This like EA's offering will be accepted, and only many more will come. I'm in agreement with Little Gray, no one owns the PC platform like the likes of the console holders do their own, it makes no sense for such built up and big companies to continue selling through Steam.

ObserverStatus said:
Of course they're the bad guys, if they were making a game I wanted to play, but they didn't put it on Steam, I wouldn't be able to wait 18 months and get it 75% off. If I can't get everything 75% off, I can only play 25% as many games. Only a truly monstrous company would do something like this to me.
Valve doesn't set the discounts if that is what you're going for so your goodwill is misplaced.
That isn't to say they can't influence things...but Valve having such great influence over a company like Ubisoft would be pretty unbelievable.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Sassafrass said:
Yeah, they pulled them so they can sell them for £50 over on uPlay.

Ubistahp seems to be in full on damage mode lately.
On the bright side, they've found a foolproof plan to save me all kinds of money, made all the more enticing by how utterly terrible their PC ports have been for a very, very long time.

Thanks, Ubistahp! Without you guys I'd have the urge to spend upwards of a few hundred dollars on your games!

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
And? Your point? People said/say the same thing about EA's effort, and Steam hardily was free of this initially either (and even today it's not exactly immune). Seems people are so stuck in the ground thinking Steam = PC platform that any effort that goes against that is to be hated.
Did you miss the part where I said Steam has problems? Like the shitty Greenlight program, the problem of getting refunds, the way publishers use it as DRM for box copies etc...

And besides even if you buy on Steam you still require Uplay...so...what exactly is the issue?
You're staring right at it. Why do I need Uplay in the first place? Ubisoft had games on Steam well before they had Uplay.

Of course not. Your example makes it sound like they brought out their own pre-made PC and made their games exclusive to it. Its on PC, you don't need to go buy a new PC to play their games.
You completely missed the point of the analogy. They brought out a compulsory log in to their e-store as a form of DRM, and then pulled their product from a major retailer. That's not 'cutting out the middleman', that's inventing a new middleman and then promoting them to become the actual retailer.

This like EA's offering will be accepted, and only many more will come. I'm in agreement with Little Gray, no one owns the PC platform like the likes of the console holders do their own, it makes no sense for such built up and big companies to continue selling through Steam.
We definitely need more digital distribution to prevent a monopoly from forming, but all the major publishers releasing their own e-stores and making their games exclusive to them is itself anti-competitive. It stops retailers from competing on price for the same product.

And before you say it, yes I know Steam has developer exclusives.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Rozalia1 said:
The Apple BOOM said:
Part of the problem is only more dedicated gamers tend to know this stuff, and Ubisoft's games are of such middling quality that a lot of dedicated gamers would pass on their games regardless.
Been seeing a lot of this sort of stuff elsewhere, its really not flattering so I'd not go there. Such talk only reveals nastiness.
I do want to apologize for this. Nothing has been of subjectively middling quality (like glitches and crashes). They definitely don't have that spark, to me, that other games have. In fact, a lot of games outside of Nintendo consoles haven't really had that spark for me, but that's a different topic entirely.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Not a big deal to me. I was actually surprised when I first saw Far Cry 4 on Steam. My immediate reaction was "I thought this would be Uplay exclusive". I've got a few games on Uplay - Splinter Cell Conviction & Blacklist, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 3 & Blood Dragon. Never had a problem with Uplay. Or Origin for that matter. Its not like GFWL which gave me constant technical problems, games crashing, updates failing, etc.

I'll still play FC4 if its a good game.

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
It's most likely Valve changing their mind on something like back when they forced EA off of Steam. Should be interesting to see what their reasons are for it.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
On the bright side, they've found a foolproof plan to save me all kinds of money, made all the more enticing by how utterly terrible their PC ports have been for a very, very long time.

Thanks, Ubistahp! Without you guys I'd have the urge to spend upwards of a few hundred dollars on your games!
Are we really still doing the playground name calling thing? Really? Also what recent Ubi PC ports have had issues other than "MUH GRAPIX!!!" in Watch_Dogs? Farcry 3 and Blood Dragon were fine, AC4 was fine, AC: Brotherhood was fine, Mighty Quest for Epic loot is a great PC exclusive, I don't think anyone had issues with Stick of Truth. But by all means keep repeating complaints about games you haven't played.

OT: And...? Whop-de-do I have to get Farcry4 on a smaller publisher specific DRM platform instead of the all devouring black hole would-be-monopoly DRM platform, what ever shall I do? "No steam no buy" never fails to make the hair on my neck stand up. Only in gaming would the consumers actually beg for a monopoly.

Also is this actually a for sure thing, or is it still possible that the store is bugging out (as it sometimes does) and some people are just knee jerking so hard you can hear bone snapping?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
major_chaos said:
shrekfan246 said:

Are we really still doing the playground name calling thing? Really?
It's called a "joke". I'm mature enough to acknowledge that every now and then I like to be immature.

Also what recent Ubi PC ports have had issues other than "MUH GRAPIX!!!" in Watch_Dogs? Farcry 3 and Blood Dragon were fine, AC4 was fine, AC: Brotherhood was fine, Mighty Quest for Epic loot is a great PC exclusive, I don't think anyone had issues with Stick of Truth. But by all means keep repeating complaints about games you haven't played.
Okay, rather I mean they have utterly terrible optimization. There, is that better?

Assassin's Creed has had pathetic performance and an utterly ridiculous control scheme since the first game which they've actually only made worse as the franchise goes on, to say nothing of the bugs that have actually been getting more and more prevalent as the series continues.

And what with how little it keeps actually loaded in at any given time, Watch Dogs is a far larger resource hog than it should be. I've never seen another game that uses so much RAM to do so little.

Far Cry 3 had the same problems, though it was certainly better optimized than the others. Still runs like marmalade on anything that wasn't high-spec.

Also I Am Alive and From Dust.

For what it's worth, this is more "the straw that broke the camel's back" than "NOW I'M GOING TO BOYCOTT UBISOFT UNTIL THEY COME BACK TO STEAM!!!" I never use uPlay in the first place despite having an account because I already have to use Origin, Battle.net, and Steam on my PC and I have even less games that use it than ones that use Origin. I've had to put up with Games for Windows Live, I've had to make accounts for Playstation Network, Xbox Live, and Nintendo's eShop, and between all of those and all of my other accounts for things like Skype and The Escapist, I'm really sick of all of the different login/password combinations every gorram company on the planet expects me to remember and/or have laying around quickly at hand. On top of the way Ubisoft has treated PC gamers over the past six years, if they are pulling their games from Steam and are expecting their userbase to migrate over to uPlay entirely, well, at least one person isn't going to comply. uPlay is pretty terrible in itself, but that's not solely enough to keep me from bothering (as evidenced by the fact that I have Origin).

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
major_chaos said:
OT: And...? Whop-de-do I have to get Farcry4 on a smaller publisher specific DRM platform instead of the all devouring black hole would-be-monopoly DRM platform, what ever shall I do? "No steam no buy" never fails to make the hair on my neck stand up. Only in gaming would the consumers actually beg for a monopoly.
Steam isn't a monopoly. They have competition from GoG, Green Man Gaming, Desura, Amazon, and several other smaller sites I haven't heard of before I looked into them, not to mention actual retail stores since they still sell some new PC games last I checked. They're still useful if you don't have a credit card and/or your internet has very slow download speed or low bandwidth cap.

On principle I dislike the idea of publisher exclusive distribution platforms. They give me another password to make and remember using a dummy email address I don't care about and will never use again, making it far less convenient than just purchase through Steam. Running multiple programs to check DRM is really annoying too. Steam's DRM is actually pretty good, yet according to Ubisoft 95% of their games are still pirated after the release of uPlay.

By restricting downloads to their market place, they are effectively removing competition on their products. Products, I might add in this case, were already up for pre-sale and heavily advertised on Steam for months. I still haven't heard anything about whether those pre-order customers got their money back or if they still get their purchase through Steam.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
Mezahmay said:
major_chaos said:
Steam isn't a monopoly. They have competition from GoG, Green Man Gaming, Desura, Amazon, and several other smaller sites I haven't heard of before I looked into them, not to mention actual retail stores since they still sell some new PC games last I checked. They're still useful if you don't have a credit card and/or your internet has very slow download speed or low bandwidth cap.

On principle I dislike the idea of publisher exclusive distribution platforms. They give me another password to make and remember using a dummy email address I don't care about and will never use again, making it far less convenient than just purchase through Steam. Running multiple programs to check DRM is really annoying too. Steam's DRM is actually pretty good, yet according to Ubisoft 95% of their games are still pirated after the release of uPlay.

By restricting downloads to their market place, they are effectively removing competition on their products. Products, I might add in this case, were already up for pre-sale and heavily advertised on Steam for months. I still haven't heard anything about whether those pre-order customers got their money back or if they still get their purchase through Steam.
A lot of those sites sell keys that you ultimately redeem on Steam. So although Steam doesn't get your money you still use it as a service.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
[comment deleted because it was stupid]

Sorry.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Morgoth780 said:
Mezahmay said:
A lot of those sites sell keys that you ultimately redeem on Steam. So although Steam doesn't get your money you still use it as a service.
Ah. I've never used a distribution service outside of Steam. So is this how debacles like the stolen Sniper Elite 3 keys [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135793-Steam-Revokes-7-000-Stolen-Sniper-Elite-3-Keys] get sold? Not implying anything, I just didn't know that these other sites essentially sold Steam keys.

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
I went to go check after I had heard about this. But when I went on i can still see Unity and Far cry 4 on steam.