FarCry 5 is getting fairly postive reviews

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015

So far it seems Ubisoft actually put effort and care into this game and I am very interested in getting it.

New Highlights this game added is straight up flying vehicles like Fighter Planes and Attack Choppers.

A surprisingly good fishing mode.

Vehicle customization is added to this game.

Custom made player charcater (But you are a Gordon Freeman than a Commander Shepard sadly)

The American Countryside setting makes for a very nice map to explore.

A Bear named Cheeseburger that is the most badass animal companion I have ever seen.

And with the Season Pass the upcoming expansions that are taking notes from Blood Dragon looks awesome (A Vietnam War themed campaign, a Zombie Apocalypse themed campaign, and a Sci-Fi/Mars/Aliens themed campaign)

Basically its the Ubisoft Open World game but refined and done well. And I trust GGGMANLIVES, he knows when to call out if a game has bullshit features or is buggy and broken, etc.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm thinking about this one. It looks fun enough, and who doesn't like killing cultists? The Inquisitor in me approves. Not a huge fan of season passes, even if some of the DLC campaigns look fun, and super not a big fan of the apparent grind. Enemies drop like $5-8 of in-game currency, and a new gun is like $7000+ to get, unless you spring for microtransactions.

Still, if its on sale in a few months, and they patch in a better economy, I'll probably get this one.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I'll pick it up when its cheap. It looks interesting, but not full price interesting.

Jan 27, 2011
The main thing I hear is that it's really good...But unlocking weapons without microtransactions is a apparently a pain in the ass because of money being given out in small doses, and ammo costing money, and new weapons costing a LOT to buy.

I'm likely to wait a little while before buying it as a result. Besides, I still have Nier Automata I need to finish.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
I'm thinking about this one. It looks fun enough, and who doesn't like killing cultists? The Inquisitor in me approves. Not a huge fan of season passes, even if some of the DLC campaigns look fun, and super not a big fan of the apparent grind. Enemies drop like $5-8 of in-game currency, and a new gun is like $7000+ to get, unless you spring for microtransactions.

Still, if its on sale in a few months, and they patch in a better economy, I'll probably get this one.
Yeah, no way I?m touching this until that garbage format is gone.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
hanselthecaretaker said:
Silentpony said:

I was seriously considering getting it this week, but then I watched this:

and I just have to wait. Shit like the attack helicopters have unlimited machine gun ammo, but limited rocket ammo, and when you run out, in-game promps tell you you can refill the rockets for $1000 in-game dollars, and hey maybe take a look at the store page while you're at it.
Just trashy. Offering players extra ammo and guns during like a boss fight, for real money or a shit-load of hard to get, grind fill, in-game money. Trashy.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
but it still looks like rehash of far cry 3. not very interesting.

otherwise i will play it soon. will be ok.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
hanselthecaretaker said:
Silentpony said:

Yeah, the first thing I noticed in some friends video on Facebook was the two currencies when they were buying a gun. That and the store page needing to connect online to open at all.

residentout1

May 21, 2013
I was going to get this then I saw the endings. Lets put it this way they may be going the way of Mass Effect 3.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
Silentpony said:
Enemies drop like $5-8 of in-game currency, and a new gun is like $7000+ to get, unless you spring for microtransactions.
There isn't a way to unlock them for free like in FC3?
That sucks, this game actually looked like one of the better AAA releases on the current gen consoles.
This reminds me of that one Dungeon Keeper tablet game released a while ago. Everyone got mad at the publishers for basically doing the same thing.

I expect a massive backlash.

Feb 7, 2016
I got into a big rig decked out in cheesy red white and blue, lights, and machine guns, barreling down a road, smashing through roadblocks, while Barracuda by Heart blasted through the radio.

Ten minutes later I went fishing and caught enough to buy myself a brand new MP5.

If they fix the performance issues, this is definitely GOTY material for me.

Feb 7, 2016
Silentpony said:

There are literally dozens of ways to get cash. And the game encourages it. Looting bodies is not your only source of income. You have the fishing minigame, challenges, stashes that are actually kind of fun to find (some involving light puzzles), hunting, safe cracking, and maps that once you use for yourself to discover locations of animals you can sell off for a couple hundred dollars each.

As long as you don't just blow through all the main campaign missions exclusively, you'll make enough cash to buy all the weapons, vehicles, ammo, and equipment, not including what the game already gives you through story missions.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'm getting it. I really just like the idea of a Far Cry in a setting like the area where I live, virtually killing survivalist/cultist assholes like the ones that infest the area where I live. I won't buy on day 1, I don't give any AAA release a buy on day 1 just on principle. Those release day sales are an important metric for publishers so that's my vote against the publisher. But I imagine I'll pick it up a week or so later. I may even buy it on Uplay as opposed to Steam just so I don't have to run 2 frontends.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Vanilla ISIS said:
There isn't a way to unlock them for free like in FC3?
That sucks, this game actually looked like one of the better AAA releases on the current gen consoles.
This reminds me of that one Dungeon Keeper tablet game released a while ago. Everyone got mad at the publishers for basically doing the same thing.

I expect a massive backlash.
If you pick a gun up in the open world you unlock it for future use, even if you drop it immediately afterwards without firing a shot. This allowed me to unlock the RPG quite literally five minutes after the tutorial segment ended, as I picked one up from a cargo truck.

Having played a few hours so far, I can say that the economy is not as bullshit as it first seems. The difference from previous Far Cry games is that the main source of your income are side quests, most notably the Prepper Stashes. A Prepper Stash generally awards around 1k, with other side quests ranging from 0 to 900 dollars in payout (from what I've seen, mostly coming down in the 400-900 range) so far. You can't buy everything you like at once, but the progression of money is steady enough that you will be able to afford a new gun or a few customizations after doing a few quests. And all the heavy weapons (RPG, Machine guns, Flamethrower) are found in such abundance that the only reason to buy them is because you want them RIGHT NOW and not an hour or so into the game when you first encounter enemies with them.

So my experience so far is that the economy isn't overly punishing, but it does expect you to have a gradual unlocking. Currently it feels a lot like the first 1/3rd of GTA V, where you have to actually consider what to buy and what to skimp on for now.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
I've been having fun with it. Some of the vehicles control like absolute ass on the pc (ubi still doesn't seemed to have worked out there's a difference between analogue and digital inputs) though.

Aug 31, 2012
I've been thinking about playing the Farcry games on and off since 3, but never actually done so. ?50 is a bit steep for me, so I'll probably pick it up on sale at some point. Might try one of the others on sale first just to test the waters for cheap.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Gethsemani said:
So my experience so far is that the economy isn't overly punishing, but it does expect you to have a gradual unlocking. Currently it feels a lot like the first 1/3rd of GTA V, where you have to actually consider what to buy and what to skimp on for now.
The particular highlight I've heard was that reloading your helicopter is $1000 (ingame, not sure what the exchange for the real money is) bucks a pop. Which comes up as a prompt to do mid-combat, which is literally something an EA exec joked(?) about doing as a microtransaction tactic, in the moment paid reloads.

Comparisons to GTA are actually kind of worrying. GTA Online was bad for having its economy crippled to sell microtransactions (super-inflated ammo costs and poorly rewarded activities for instance, even before vanity cars or pay-to-win esque military vehicles/abilities).

Stepping away from the microtransaction stuff. The co-ops 2 player only, which is kind of meh (the game does support 4 player somewhere in it, but not the co-op). Hunting/Fishing being primary activities are basically demerits for me (Far Cry's hunting and animal life has always been ludicrously badly implemented, and Fishing is just a busy work activity in any game I've ever run into it in)

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'm a huge Far Cry fan but so far I can say this is the best one I played. Everything just seems elevated and improved: gunplay, graphics, general fluidity and control of your character. Everything feels refined and smooth. The premise and setting is also superb. Obviously an insurrection inside the U.S. of a crazy cult with an amount of firepower and defensive capabilities that would make the Islamic State jealous without anyone noticing is more than a little far-fetched; the hectic engagements and shoot-outs that result from confronting these nutters provide some of the most satisfying gameplay moments. And if you suspend disbelief(like with pretty much any game) it becomes a really awesome backdrop. My only minor complaint would be that enemy spawn points are sometimes way too close to your character, making it feel like they appear out of thin air.