Farming Simulator 13 tops charts

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
So, I recently went on to VGChartz, and while this site isn't entirely accyrate, and you should indeed take the statistics it displays with a grain of salt, the sales charts nevertheless merit discussion. Medal of Honour, at least on each individual platform, has been beaten by Farming Simulator 2013. I knew it was big in Europe, but that's still pretty surprising. I think it's awesome, personally. I mean, I'm not gonna buy any of them, but things like this may teach EA and the gaming industry in general that it's not OK to make games that don't do anything new, and the stuff that they do actually do is done better elsewhere. What are you guys thoughts on the matter?

Indecipherable

Mar 21, 2010
http://www.eurotrucksimulator2.com/ETS2_4_Steam/ETS2_for_Steam.html

Check that out.

In some parts it appears to be beating Guild Wars 2, XCOM and Dishonoured.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well those momentary statistics are always questionable when interpreted, all releases get a huge spike at the start and then gradually even out so even silly stuff like this gets on charts as others sell more steadily.

Then again there are a whole bunch of crazies buying this shit up, even every new copy/paste sports title shoots right to the top.

Nomad of the Stars

Oct 28, 2012
There are quite a few people on youtube playing the game, that usually has an effect on people buying them. Even bofore that it was a well known series, hell all the "Simulator" games are. Some people might just be interested/curious about it.

There's no harm in people buying it, is there? It's not as if it's doing any harm to the industry.

Volstag9

Apr 28, 2008
Maybe it's actually really good!

Perhaps all of the Escapist's sarcastic articles are wrong...

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW ESCAPIST?!

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm willing to bet that all the sarcastic articles on the various gaming sites about FarmSim actually wound up boosting the sales. There are probably thousands of people playing it "ironically", but at the end of the day a sale is a sale...

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Still waiting on my copy, bloody Royal Mail...

And ETS2 is actually pretty damn good, they really pushed it with graphics too.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
rhizhim said:
..other than mad skillz challenging awesomesauce.
Yes, I'm going to have to attribute the game's unaccountable popularity to the 'The Bangarang Effect'. Playing it stupidly makes it a great deal funnier and thus more entertaining than if you do it seriously. Doubly so if there's co-op involved. Why, just look at Arma II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_MLivouyRI

Edit: Yeah, that whole video embedding thing didn't go so well.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
I know nothing about the game, but am I to assume it's a zen-like experience of just farming, selling the crops, and then using that income to buy better equipment?

Like Harvest Moon, but on vehicles and sans romance?
Then I could kind of see the appeal, and might check it out myself.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Yeah, my nephews love these games. (Eh, they love being uneducated simple farmers... i am disappointed), so i had the honour to watch them play this crap. It's is broken, half-finished, simple and undemanding.

It's just ridiculous grinding. Even worse than pretty much anyone thinks "grinding" is. No danger, no excitement. Barely is a "game"

Man... i HATE this game...Makes me sad to learn that the publisher makes a ton of money on it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I am disappointed. I came in here fully expecting to get more of Andy Chalk's top-line journalism.

Oh well, if there's any justice, he'll write the impending review.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I'm surprised no one has picked up on this yet. (warning, bloody if very fake looking blood...)

Upcoming DLC? I'd buy that...

BernardoOne

Jun 7, 2012
Indecipherable said:
http://www.eurotrucksimulator2.com/ETS2_4_Steam/ETS2_for_Steam.html

Check that out.

In some parts it appears to be beating Guild Wars 2, XCOM and Dishonoured.
That is easy. Euro Truck Simulator 2 is one of the best simulators ever made.