FarmVille and Nintendo Virtual Boy Labeled Worst Inventions Ever

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
tsu-money said:
Abedeus said:
I'm not sure FarmVille counts as a game.

It's more of a "click'n'forget" time-passer/time-sink combo.
Same could be said for a lot of MMORPGs.
You have probably never played DDO, i'm so sorry for you.

OT: Thank god they mentioned Farmville in this list. Now i can show it to my mom, and hope she stops playing it. =(

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
danpascooch said:
Abedeus said:
danpascooch said:
Everyone knows the Virtual Boy is bad, but too many people think Farmville is a real game.

Thank you Time Magazine, for helping set the world straight and FIGHT OFF ZYNGA!

exactly but people don't realize that, and they need to.
Caliostro said:
Abedeus said:

This describes approximately 99% of all MMOs I've ever seen, which makes it sound hypocritical at best...

That said, "worst inventions" in what way? I despise FarmVille, but I can't argue that it accomplishes what it sets out to do: lure people in and keep them playing like crack addicts. Despite being an horrible piece of crap, can we really say it's unsuccessful?

If we're talking quality alone, I'd toss pretty much everything Nintendo has touched for the past 10 years or so right at the top of the list. Particularly the Wii. Yet, If we're talking success as simply "reaching their goals", I can't deny they're successful.
I am first to agree with those statements. PvE in most of the MMORPGs, maybe except for Champions Online (quests upon quests upon quests) and City of Heroes/Villains (task forces, saving the city/destroying the city), is:

1. Grind two-three levels.
2. Sell loot, buy new equipment.
3. Grind more.
4. Buy equipment.
5. Grind...

So, basically, it's Diablo 2, but more boring, with slower pace of gameplay, pretending it's more than just killing monsters over and over.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Wow... you know, the whole hard-core vs casual gamers thing stopped being cool when I realized how stupid it was. Too bad most of the world hasn't realized that apparently...

thejoshualee

Mar 12, 2009
Phf.

The times article is stupid. First of all, every video game can be described as random button pressing for a virtual... whatever. I've never played farmville, but I have a sneaking suspicion people only hate it because so many other people love it.

A good invention does what its suppose to do. A great invention does what its suppose to do and is very popular. A fantastic invention does what it's suppose to do, is very popular, and doesn't end up giving its users freaky cancer-like diseases.

Somehow farmville does what it does successfully enough to draw in the crowds (and I'd say about 3/4 of CEOs are lying scamming scumbags so that doesn't really fit into it), and it doesn't have any ill effects that other popular games don't have.

The fact that it's Time makes people think this is a real story. This is a stupid and sad reminder that print media keeps scraping at the lowest common denominator as it uses cheap "I Love the 80's" style lists to substitute for actual content.

I mean, the list includes Honegar, something no one would have heard of if not for the internet. This isn't a story. It's some lazy writer copy and pasting various bits and pieces from various internet sources, forming a list and slapping the Time label on it.

How can Farmville or Crocs be in a list along with un-things like honegar and the baby cage also be with Agent Orange or CFCs without the reader assuming it's a lame attempt at humor mixed in with some very serious things.

Granted, if it was a humor piece honestly trying to say Farmville was similar to Agent Orange, that would be another thing, but it's not. I can just picture people unfamiliar with internet culture reading this and thinking its a real thing...

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I am confuzzled. WoW is just as bad as Farmville, and the Virtual boy has some fun games.

major28

Feb 25, 2010
really the worst inventions ever mabe most worthless invention ever (high five myself for a terrible pun) but seriesly i can think of a few much worse

1 windowless vans
2 zepplins
3 aids( the gov'ment made it)
4 that pop up that yells omg no way and seems to only happen when you alone and thought the sound was off
5 the word redonculous (stares angrily at splunkers)
6 any hardcore drug like meth or heroine
7 battletoads for the nes (make me sink 8 days of my summer vacation trying to beet you and you end up on my shit list)
8 the snuggie
9 high poluting power plants
10 ponzie schemes
there top ten worst inventions ever fired that out in like a min alll worse then the virtual boy and farmville

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Time you've consistently fallen down on the job, first letting 4chan have its way with you and now saying that Farmville and Virtual Boy are worse than things like Styrofoam, CFCs, and Zyklon B. Are you going to ever get back to being responsible journalists or are you just going to let /b/tards run you.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
katsabas said:
MMMMMMMMMMM. Justice.
Yeah, I mean, Farmville makes millions but being put in some article by a bunch of good-for-nothings as a bad invention will have the creators crying themselves to sleep at night.

Go sweet justice.....

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
You know what? I think we're doing alright when a video game console can be labeled as one of the fifty worst inventions in the history of our species. That says we're doing pretty good most of the time.