Faster than light travel.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Well...

Slow down light to a crawl, and then just walk.

BAM! FTL speeds. :)

Or you know, uhh... no wait nvm.

May 28, 2009
That just reminded me of Warhammer 40K's idea, the "Warp".

I also remembered the concept of travelling short distances by "folding" the universe. I forget the details.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
oppp7 said:
Does anyone believe it is possible? If so, how would it be?
Yes, depending on the method used.
KillerMidget said:

I also remembered the concept of travelling short distances by "folding" the universe. I forget the details.
Actually, the idea is that the universe IS folded, and to travel quickly from place to place, you simply go THROUGH the folds.

EpicPanda

Feb 4, 2010
There's also the string theory.

It states that time is like a piece of string, and to get from one spot to another, you simply fold the string together to put them next to eachother.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
create a wormhole to bend time and space allowing you to "jump" across the universe. Find tachyons (particles that travel faster than light, we havent proven they exist yet) and emulate them.

ColeMcdoi

Aug 10, 2009
Well if we discover Element zero (like in ME- ME2) or any such thing, we could reduce our mass drasticly enough that normal rockets could make us accelerate as fast as light

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Warping space, wormholes, assuming we can develop the tech needed.

I wonder, if we finish the new super-collider and discover the Higgs field, could we make a Higgs field de-coupler or shield. If so, could we then accelerate without the usual problems of mass increase and have all kinds of fun.

On the other hand, I suspect Furburt is right. It seems impossible, you can't prove it can never be done, buuuut.......

[a=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox]Nothing like the Fermi Paradox to get one wondering all kinds of things.[/a]

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Yes, no and maybe. Depends on what you pull out of the hat. At this point in time thats all we will know for a good amount of time. My gut instinct says possibly

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
EpicPanda said:
There's also the string theory.

It states that time is like a piece of string, and to get from one spot to another, you simply fold the string together to put them next to eachother.
Source, or you've really misquoted string theory..........

Never mind, I see what you're about. You've really scrambled some theories together there......

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
There is certainly a possibility, one way or another. I don't think we can outright break Theory of Relativity, but i'm pretty sure we'll find a way to *ahem* "stretch" it. Remember - some centuries ago, reaching the moon was considered as fundamentally impossible as FTL is now.

Once a Human

Nov 9, 2009
I think the only plausible form of travel is sub-light speeds, or traveling over further distances than the speed entails like "warp" drive out of Star Trek or WH40k and then plonking down Stargates wherever we want to set up shop so it's easier to transport thousands more through sub-space.

It may be old fashioned, but you gotta start somewhere.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Well, let's put it this way. Science is always evolving and finding new truths. If we already knew the truth that explained how ships in all science fiction shows could use FTL travel, we'd be doing it already. Even though all those shows put together a lot of science as to how all their mechanics work, they can't explain everything if it's not yet possible.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Ooo Ooo Ooo!!!!!!

We may already have FTL!

Quantum entanglement!

If I remember correctly, it's possible to send 1's and 0's a FTL speed. Ok, it's just data, but:

INTERGALACTIC EVE ONLINE!!!!!!!!!!

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
oppp7 said:
Koeryn said:
EpicPanda said:
soapyshooter said:
Captain Blackout said:
The problem with bending space is that it costs a lot of energy. Way more than we could ever find.
More than we could find with current technological advances. Researchers have recently made a breakthrough as far as faster-then-light travel as well.

Aphobis

Feb 5, 2010
I don't think faster than light speed is possible, seeing as how it takes vast amounts of energy to get anything with a sizable mass close to the speed of light. There's always wormholes though, but unfortunately we need matter with negative mass to hold open the wormhole (otherwise the wormhole would just collapse) and nobody has yet seen any negative-mass matter, physics doesn't say it can't exist though, so there is still hope.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
KillerMidget said:

Didn't the Event Horizon try that?

Didn't work out too well for them!