Faster than the speed of light

Jymm

Sep 18, 2010
Well, an international team of scientists has recorded neutrino particles traveling faster than the speed of light. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/22/us-science-light-idUSTRE78L4FH20110922?feedType=RSS&feedName=scienceNews&rpc=76 It will be interesting to see the implications of this discovery. Til now it's all been theory.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Well, like anything scientific... it's nothing until proven more than once.
Cool, but not really cool until other people can show they can get the same results.

Jymm

Sep 18, 2010
Indeed, I hope this doesn't turn out to be the 'Cold Fusion' of 2011.

Lhianon

Aug 28, 2011
well, it has the same mass as a photon , so until someone proves it i think it was just a fluke in the datarecording

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
Now, I remember hearing this before quite a long time ago on a TV show. And the thing is, that show explained something the article fails to.

The theory in question regarding things not traveling faster than the speed of light is in regards to them accelerating to past the speed of light. What's different with these particles is they are created already traveling at FTL speed.

It was a long time ago when I saw the show so I may have explained it wrong, and given how long ago it was I can't remember any other details, but they did go into quite some detail over it. Hopefully someone who actually knows physics can help me out here.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
It'd be nice if we could do it but I seriuosly doubt any significant progress will be made in any of our lifetimes.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Antonio Ereditato, who works at the CERN particle physics center on the Franco-Swiss border, told Reuters that measurements over three years showed the neutrinos moving 60 nanoseconds quicker than light over a distance of 730 km between Geneva and Gran Sasso, Italy.
Unfortunately, being Italian neutrinos, they still managed to arrive 2 hours late, stinking of cheap booze and cigarettes, and swearing at the servants. It's a joke, people, do not take seriously

In a less ignorantly racist tone, it's quantum mechanics, I have long suspected that the scientists are just using the Large Hadron Collider to secretly grow lots and lots of marijuana, which they smoke constantly and then make up whatever 'scientific discovery' they think will get them more funding to buy more pot, after all, it's not like anyone else is going to be able to disprove them.

Humza Ahmad

Sep 22, 2011
Mind blown, everything I learned in AP Physics is a lie! Really though this is very shocking, I can't wait to see what independent sources have to say about it.

moose49408

Oct 18, 2008
Humza Ahmad said:
Mind blown, everything I learned in AP Physics is a lie! Really though this is very shocking, I can't wait to see what independent sources have to say about it.
Yeah, sorry to let you in on the secret, but most physics that is taught in high schools has been known to (essentially) be a lie for decades. Relativity and quantum mechanics blow most of the newtonian stuff away in the first paragraph or so of advanced physics texts books. They really just teach the stuff in high school because it's the only way to lay a basis for learning about the other stuff later.

OT: This is certainly an amazing discovery if true. I knew that "already traveling fast than light particles" such as Tachyons, which actually can't travel slower than the speed of light, had been theorized to exists, but from the sound of things it seems like they're claiming to have actually *accelerated* something faster than the speed of light. If this is the case, there's one more thing we thought we knew that we didn't...

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
This is amazing if it's actually true. I know that there are a lot of "scientific discoveries" which just were a measurement mistake or something like that, so I'm reserved but if it's actually true, then it can change the whole world of physics.
I guess I'm more excited than I should be but I just love this stuff.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
moose49408 said:
Humza Ahmad said:
Yeah, sorry to let you in on the secret, but most physics that is taught in high schools has been known to (essentially) be a lie for decades. Relativity and quantum mechanics blow most of the newtonian stuff away in the first paragraph or so of advanced physics texts books. They really just teach the stuff in high school because it's the only way to lay a basis for learning about the other stuff later.
Newtonian physics is taught in grade school/middle school, and further explored in basic high school physics. Relativity and quantum mechanics are explored in AP physics courses.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I haven't read the article yet but thank you for finding this OP! I loves me some science :3 Especially ones related to FTL. Still hoping that someday we'll find a way of achieving FTL travel and colonise the galaxy :')

Humza Ahmad

Sep 22, 2011
Hafrael said:
moose49408 said:
Humza Ahmad said:
Newtonian physics is taught in grade school/middle school, and further explored in basic high school physics. Relativity and quantum mechanics are explored in AP physics courses.
You said everything I wanted to say. AP Physics teaches all the advance stuff. After all it is basically a college course.

moose49408

Oct 18, 2008
Hafrael said:
moose49408 said:
Humza Ahmad said:
Wow, AP has really stepped up its game since last I knew. Then again, my high school didn't have any AP classes, and the only schools that I've taught in didn't have an AP course either. I just assumed that it was a calculus based newtonian curriculum, but I guess it does make sense that, since it prepares you for taking the test for college credit, it'd be a bit more like a college course. Then again, most colleges I've seen spend the first 2-3 semesters of physics on newtonian stuff, and don't get into relativity and quantum till about the 4th... Ehh, whatever. I'm glad they're working that stuff into high schools, finally.