Fat Princess Weighs in This Month

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Overthinker did an episode concerning this game, I'll probably put it up next week in the official thread http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.115047?page=3 .
No-one cares what he thinks, and the fact that half the soldiers are women mean the only people who have any right to be offended are fat people.
A few pages of posts including your own seem to suggest otherwise.
Most opf that was me saying he was stupid
Which leads me to believe if you truly didn't care about what he thought, you wouldn't be trying to convince people how wrong he was and how he was stupid, thus giving more exposure by bumping him on the front and forum pages.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Flower. I believe you have just been shattered

Before that, Pixeljunk Eden - hell, it was Braids strongest competition. Then we have Linger in the Shadows, Noby Noby Boy, Echochrome, The Last Guy, so on and so forth.
I forgot about Echochrome, that game was brilliant. Every other game you mentioned was not as good, for me, as what XBLA had to offer. Allow me to try and out-fanboy you:

Castle Crashers, Alien Hominid, Geomotry Wars: Retro Evolved (1&2), E4, Portal: Still Alive and Rez HD. Then there's the less artsy stuff like Kingdom For Keflings and Death Tank. And 1 vs 100 coming later this year - along with The Secret Of Monkey Island and Turtles In Time.

I know the last 3 in my list aren't out yet, but they will be by the end of the year. I doubt 1 vs 100 will make any sort of GOTY category, but I will be surprised if Monkey Island and Turtles in Time don't make that category.

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
T-T-T-T-Triple post... Seriously Indigo, there's always the edit button man ^^
harhol said:
The only problem I foresee is all the pre-release hype convincing Sony to hike up the price.

Anything under $10 and I'm interested... anything under $8 and I'm sold.

Come on Sony you know you don't wanna lose this sale.
I heard one of the developers in a podcast. Apparently Pixeljunk is such a big representative of the PSN (as we all know) that the prices for this kinds of games get ruled by how much is their games at the time. So it should be 9.95 or so... Same as Pixeljunk games at launch.

Plastic, the PSN is getting *insert the real name of garbage tetris here*, *insert the real game of the regurgitating animal here*, and fat princess... so, I would say were pretty even on arcade goodness, taking into account that the last two games you mentioned are improved ports (awesome AWESOME improved ports)
Btw, Alien Hominid, wasn't that a ps2 game? The port of a ps2 game is on the xbox live arcade?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Which leads me to believe if you truly didn't care about what he thought, you wouldn't be trying to convince people how wrong he was and how he was stupid, thus giving more exposure by bumping him on the front and forum pages.
I personally didn't like how he said RE5 wasn't racist (which he later retracted in a later Overthinker episode) because it was from Japan, yet said that the making fun of fat people in Fat Princess is "kind of there". That's hypocritical.

plastic_window said:
Castle Crashers (I'll give you that),
Alien Hominid (doesn't count, on various other consoles (gamecube for one)),
Geomotry Wars: Retro Evolved (1&2) (I think that might be on PC)
E74 Error (Fix'd :D But I've never heard of it),
Portal: Still Alive (that was a complete rip off, it was a free PC add on pack by some fans!)
and Rez HD (also on various other consoles I believe).
Then there's the less artsy stuff like Kingdom For Keflings and Death Tank. And 1 vs 100 coming later this year - along with The Secret Of Monkey Island and Turtles In Time. (SoMI I'll give you, but 1 vs 100? Other than being a cool name, who cares about THAT?)

I know the last 3 in my list aren't out yet, but they will be by the end of the year. I doubt 1 vs 100 will make any sort of GOTY category, but I will be surprised if Monkey Island and Turtles in Time don't make that category.
So HA! I have just out fanboy'd you! PSN has some great original titles though, most of them being exclusive to the PSN.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
plastic_window said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
No it doesn't, most people agree that the PsN has Live beaten on downloadable games.
I can't think of any notable PSN games offhand other than Fat Princess. To name only one title, XBL has Braid, which was nominated for several Game of the Year awards. I can't remember seeing any exclusive PSN titles on even any Arcade-game of the Year lists.
Flower. I believe you have just been shattered

Before that, Pixeljunk Eden - hell, it was Braids strongest competition. Then we have Linger in the Shadows, Noby Noby Boy, Echochrome, The Last Guy, so on and so forth.
A fucking shame that Flower got almost no mainstream attention, it's the best downloadable game I have played by far. Best downloadable game of 09...hell even best game of 09 so far!

Braid was the only reason I was tempted toward that system but now that they have released it on the PC that reason and argument dissappeared.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
harhol said:
Most PSN titles are absolute shit though. Let's be honest.
Well by that logic most games are shit, most movies are shit, most books are shit, most entertainment is shit and most games are shit.

Sorry, I just needed an excuse to say shit 5 times.

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Jumplion said:
plastic_window said:
Castle Crashers (I'll give you that)Thanks :3. It's kinda strange how Castle Crashers and Fat Princess have the same sort of basic visual style. Y'know, charming cartoony graphics with liberal amounts of blood.
Alien Hominid (doesn't count, on various other consoles (gamecube for one)) I forgot about that... But then, the other versions aren't achievment supported and they don't have online multiplayer (co-op in the main game, and a wealth of minigames on the PDA thing
Geomotry Wars: Retro Evolved (1&2) (I think that might be on PC)I have no idea if it is or isn't, but I doubt it would play half as well on PC as 360. Not frame-rate wise, I mean controls-wise.
E4 (Fix'd :D But I've never heard of it) Hey! Quit messin' with my stuff! E4's like an old fashioned arcade-style shooter, but it's very nicely presented and the music's just spectacular
Portal: Still Alive (that was a complete rip off, it was a free PC add on pack by some fans!) I agree with you there, but it's still not on Ps3. Ergo, exclusive. Plus it has new voice recordings for GLaDoS (or however you spell it), so it is technically a new game. Technically...
and Rez HD (also on various other consoles I believe). Not in HD or with achievment-support it ain't! Cheap argument, I know, but they are different games
Then there's the less artsy stuff like Kingdom For Keflings and Death Tank. And 1 vs 100 coming later this year - along with The Secret Of Monkey Island and Turtles In Time.
(SoMI I'll give you, but 1 vs 100? Other than being a cool name, who cares about THAT?)Well, like I said it's the less artsy games. Besides, 1 vs 100 looks like fun. And it's free for Gold members, so there's no harm in trying it out. Well... Other than the Gold subscription price...

So HA! I have just out fanboy'd you! PSN has some great original titles though, most of them being exclusive to the PSN.
My problem with PSN is more that the games they have are just way too unconventional for me... Even though some very good games exist on PSN, most of the ones I like aren't exclusives - Bionic Commando, Mega Man 9 and Street Fighter Turbo HD 2 (what is with those stupid Street Fighter names?), for example. That's why I'm looking forward to Fat Princess coming out this year. It's a more conventional kind of arcade-release. There's clever - like Echochrome - then there's... different - like pretty much everything else Indigo Dingo mentioned in the defence of PSN.

[Side note] Something went wrong with all the things I put in there. For some reason, they aren't coming up exactly right. No biggie, just thought you should know...

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
You consider Castle Crashers as Arty stuff?

And are we just listing titles, or titles that stand out as directly better than anything on the other? Cause Wuipeout HD still kicks the shit out of most of the titles you mentioned, and Flower is still one of the best games this year.
I was talking about titles that are worth ranking the XBLA library of games as superior to PSN's library.

And hell yes I'd say Castle Crashers is arty! It's probably the single best example of an old game recreated with modern techniques. There's a very fine art to that, in my opinion. If you modernise it too much, you end up with Golden Axe: Beast Rider. And if you do to little to bring it up to speed, you might as well just re-release Golden Axe. RPG elements; an absolute ton of unlockable content; co-operative and competitive multiplay? Okay, so maybe not a 'very fine art'. But it's a damn good game. And arguably moreso of a game than Flower or Linger in Shadows.

I didn't play Wipeout HD, though. And you've got me there because I don't think XBLA has a solid racing game. We have Outburn, but I'm guessing the PS3 has that too.