Father & Son Video Games

denright

Jan 4, 2008
I'm a father and I play games with my school age son quite often. I save the M-Rated games for after he's gone to bed, and pick-up multi-player co-op E and T rated games to play together like Lego Star Wars and Marvel Ultimate Alliance, local multi-player enabled XBLA and Virtual Console games like Carcassone and Puzzle Fighter, and party games like Viva Pinata Party Animals, Wii Sports, Wii Play, etc. The single player E and T games he picks out I often end up helping him with as a spectator if he gets stuck or take over the controls to get him through a part he has a lot of difficutly with.
It's a fun passtime we both enjoy in-between his homework time and bed time.

Nordstrom

Aug 24, 2006
I am a father, I play games, and I play them with my kids. I don't see why it should be considered unusual.

edit: OMG Parentz Don't Exist on teh Intarweb!!!!1

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
Nordstrom said:
I am a father, I play games, and I play them with my kids. I don't see why it should be considered unusual.

edit: OMG Parentz Don't Exist on teh Intarweb!!!!1
LOL.

The Negotiator

Dec 26, 2007
The only time I here parent's online is when the actually yell through the mic and that my friend's is really becoming a epidemic.

It's funny to because the kid playing is like 6 years old or something.

SubtleMockery

Jan 7, 2008
Hey Joe said:
"You see Timmy, what I'm doing now is called a pwnage headshot"
"Pwned!"
"And what I'm doing now is called tea bagging. Give it a go son"
"I'm tea bagging! I'm tea bagging!"
"This has been a great day"
I've always hoped to have a little girl, and share a similar experience with her.
....Then I'd train her to be a ninja......

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
I remember playing Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon with my father. Sure, it's not really a co-operative game, but it didn't stop us from playing it together. That was a great game...
Now, he still plays a lot of games, despite being terrible at them. It does prevent us from playing together, but it's nice to have grown up in an environment that supports gaming as a hobby, as opposed to the type of family that thinks of it as a silly little thing for children.

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
Worr Monger said:
I think a better question is.... If you become a father, will you continue playing games?

Would you try to get into it with your son (assuming you have a son).
Yes, and regardless of what gender my child is, I will expose them to gaming. If it's not their thing, that's a shame, but if they turn out to be gamers, they'll at least not have that awkward childhood that a lot of our generation did haha

InsanityManifest

Nov 14, 2007
My dad and I used to play super mario bros. together but that was about it. I think that some games are just a little too much for the older generations (violence, gore, sexuality etc.). For instance a teacher of mine damn near freaked when we brought in CoD4 for a gaming night at the college. He had been in the Gulf War and was a little wierded out by the realism...Which in turn made us feel like pricks...Sad Story, sorry.

I think systems like the wii make games easier for older folks but I wouldn't be surprised to see future father/son duos fragging locusts in Gears of War 3 (Wishful thinking I know).

ShadeOfRed

Jan 20, 2008
My Dad, My two brothers and I play Mario Kart: Double Dash sometimes. Those usually consist of 16 tracks of trash talking and "Who the hell hit me?" saying. Good times.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
I don't got anyone in my family that plays games, but I used to work with a guy whose mom played on our WoW server.

danger boy

Jan 26, 2008
My dad got me into video games. He showed me a star wars game (back on DOS) and DOOM and castle wolfenstein, and I was hooked from that point on.

I used to play against him and my uncle with a friend on the original Goldeneye and Battletanks for N64. Then for many years I played against him in the original Red Alert, and RA2 for a bit. After that we played Battlefield 1942 for a long time (hotseat), and then over the internet (I bought a copy).

Course, I play them way more than he does now a days, he's too busy or too tired to play very much. But every once in a while we'll still hotseat on BF1942 if the timing is right.

LordLocke

Oct 3, 2007
My dad used to play some games with me- we'd alternate lives on the older Mega Man titles (Although I'd eventually have to take over completely in the Wily Castles if we were going to ever see the end of the game)and he was way better then any of my friends at Super Mario Kart or Mario Kart 64. He kinda fell out of gaming shortly after that, though, and hasn't ever really looked back. (He couldn't ever really get into 3D collect-a-thons and FPS titles, and more of what came old in the older genres was becoming more and more quirky/niche/hardcore- I think Mega Man X4 was the 'final straw'.) He plays a few titles on his work laptop, but mostly variants of card games or pinball.

My mom played some on the old NES (I have her copy of Wizards and Warriors around here somewhere) but only recently really gained an interest in it with the Nintendo DS- not just in the usual casual DS titles like Brain Age, but the odd puzzle title and even a couple platformers. I'll get my copies of New Super Mario Bros. and Kirby Squeak Squad back from her... someday. I hope.

Meshakhad_v1legacy

Feb 20, 2008
My dad is something of a gamer. He likes Red Alert 2, Medal of Honor, and America's Army. I've played RA2 with him once - he crushed me. He has access to my high-end PC, and I left him C&C3. He says he will try it sometime.

He doesn't like console controllers, so he doesn't play console games. Too bad, really - I think we'd have a lot of fun playing Halo or Gears of War on co-op.

My mom plays Roller Coaster Tycoon, puzzle games - and to my surprise, Guitar Hero III.

When I have kids, I will introduce them to gaming.

As a suggestion to any parents who want to buy their kids a good game that has some educational value, I'd recommend Age of Empires. That game got me into history. On the downside, because of AoE, I still haven't learned to rush except in Dawn of War.

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
I got into games after watching my Dad play quake 2. Since he's stopped and I've taken over. He once tried to join in while my brother and I were playing halo, got hopelessly lost so my brother and I got him to jump off a cliff so he'd respawn back where he needed to be. This logic was lost on him however and he never forgave us for luring him off the cliff in the first place.

The Potato Lord

Dec 20, 2007
My Dad used to play games with my sisters and I. we'd play free-for-all matches on StarFox 64. and before that we'd play descent(Unsure of spelling) saturn together he navigated and I ran the weapons. We did alright except for when I forgot how to fire missles or he forgot how to look up...Good Times.

On a side note my dad's trying to start playing games again he looked intrested in Call of Duty 4 when he saw me playing it and could actually recognize some of the weapons and attachments I was using and was surprised that the game had UAV recon.I figure he'll start Gaming more after he retires in a year or so and gets a new tv and a game system.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
My dad used to play games occaisionaly (this is how i first discovered gaming) but he's old now, and now all he does is either screw around with his computer (he's a real tech expert, he's a tech support guy in a government building) or just write stuff.

My mother never really saw mainstream games as something she'd like, but she thoroughly enjoyed casual games (ANYTHING by Popcap), and whenever she comes to Target, she simply MUST see me play Guitar Hero, even though I can only play it on Easy without failing miserably.

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
My dad and I used to play games over LAN with each other, like BF1942, Quake 2, Doom, or Unreal Tournament. We haven't played a LAN game for about a year now.

But, my dad has recently taken a liking to TF2. He and I often play it together, now.

MikeyW

Feb 21, 2008
Some of my best memories when I was a kid was going with the old man down to the video store to hire a sega master system. Spent ages taking turns at Wonderboy and Rastan. I'm about to have daughter in 2 weeks and really hope that she'll be my little protege in pwnage.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
My father's always been a huge Tom Clancy/Modern Combat buff, so my bro and I clubbed together and bought him a 360 for his birthday, long with CoD4, Splinter Cell: Rogue Agent and Ranbow 6: Las Vegas.

It's been six months, and he's even capable of whipping my arse at CoD4. It's almost embarassing. Old dogs can learn new tricks, such as stuffing C4 in places you can't see until it's waaaay too late.