Faulty Xbox One Disc Drives Reported by Some Buyers

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
cerebus23 said:
FalloutJack said:
Much as I'd like to take the piss out of them for this, uhh...this is actually pretty normal. PS4's record low rate of failure is more surprising, truth be told. I mean, unless ALOT of them are eating discs, this isn't cause for concern yet. Wait for it to be eating discs, kinect failing, running worse than XBLA, rude customer service, system glitchy, and Microsoft banning for some perceived issue.
Unless your a troll then any failure is excessive and unacceptable.

Waiting for that wave of comments in here next.
Not trolls. Upset customers venting. Dissatisfied gamers. The complaints are still legit enough.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Did they run out of paper clips? :p

Also, no surprise that some of the consoles are faulty, but it is annoying to know that there is little that you can do about it not working since its the manufacturer that cocked up.

With PCs, its almost always my own fault, so it gives me ease knowing that I can repair it.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Hmm... Anyone remember the problem with first-gen PS2s no longer able to read DVD discs? IIRC it was found to be a problem within the timing gear of the disc drive itself (and if you were careful enough, could fix it). I wonder if we're seeing a similar problem here?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
search_rip said:
roseofbattle said:
If you're having problems, contact Microsoft. Anyone with a faulty console will more than likely have a new one shipped to them.
This part I truely never understand, it's a new product and you have warranty, why don't take it back to the store and get either a new one or a refund? I don't see the point to send it to the factory to get a re furbish one, let the retailer deal with that.
Microsoft is having "supply issues" so I doubt getting a new console will happen for a while. And the warranty you get is a Microsoft Warranty. Retailers charge extra for retailer warranties. The warranty for the hardware has MS send you a box to put your console in and have it shipped to them to either fix or replace. But that leads back to the first problem of supply issues.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
AzrealMaximillion said:
search_rip said:
roseofbattle said:
If you're having problems, contact Microsoft. Anyone with a faulty console will more than likely have a new one shipped to them.
This part I truely never understand, it's a new product and you have warranty, why don't take it back to the store and get either a new one or a refund? I don't see the point to send it to the factory to get a re furbish one, let the retailer deal with that.
Microsoft is having "supply issues" so I doubt getting a new console will happen for a while. And the warranty you get is a Microsoft Warranty. Retailers charge extra for retailer warranties. The warranty for the hardware has MS send you a box to put your console in and have it shipped to them to either fix or replace. But that leads back to the first problem of supply issues.
Most stores will take back something that was received defective/broken, even if the manufacture says in the manual or online "Don't take it back to the store. Call our support hotline (that totally isn't a futile pain in the ass)." M$(like other companies) does not want people getting refunds and going with a competitor. But, that doesn't take away your consumer rights to get the product you paid for without having to jump through hoops with customer support and sending in a brand new unit to be fixed.

Although, with the supply issues and the fact that they might send me one that was broke before launch that they "refurbished", I would take it right back to the store. I'd rather try to get a different one or get a refund and try to find a ps4 or spend the money on a new video card that would smack both these systems around.

I tried to find a way to fix my sister's out of warranty Kinect and M$ had the gall to charge the same price(more, actually since I'd have to ship it myself) for me to send in the broke one as it would have been to go to Gamestop and get a used/refurbished one there. After that and the whole RRoD deal, I'm not trusting something from M$ that fails in the first few days.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
FalloutJack said:
cerebus23 said:
FalloutJack said:
Much as I'd like to take the piss out of them for this, uhh...this is actually pretty normal. PS4's record low rate of failure is more surprising, truth be told. I mean, unless ALOT of them are eating discs, this isn't cause for concern yet. Wait for it to be eating discs, kinect failing, running worse than XBLA, rude customer service, system glitchy, and Microsoft banning for some perceived issue.

Waiting for that wave of comments in here next.
Not trolls. Upset customers venting. Dissatisfied gamers. The complaints are still legit enough.
Cept most of the people on here stating that in the ps4 threads mentioned nothing about having there ps4 bricked. 1% is unacceptable people, most were trolls.

TB is the only person i have heard get this issue and yes if you get a bricked anything out of the box you have the right to be upset, you do not have the right to declare and any fail rate is unacceptable, it is a fact of life with electronics.

Just like i wont berate MS for a few failed launch consoles. Now i would berate them for the 360s rrod just because its fail rate was so ridiciously high.

My ps1 ps2 and ps3 all still worked when i retired them. ps2 was launch day even other than having to clean the lense reader on occasion to get it to read disks.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
search_rip said:
roseofbattle said:
On this topic it looks like Sony have hit the ground running. The Crtl Alt Del guy called Sony on day one after getting a pulsar and they had him set up with a new console and playing games in 5 days. So props to them for having good customer service I'm going to wait and see how long Microsoft take now because customer service is a big part of how I choose which console to get.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
search_rip said:
roseofbattle said:
well, yeah, I get the "supply issues" part, thanks for the clarification :) I'm from México and usually we have between 7 to 30 days of warranty with the retailer and one year with the supplier (in this case MS) at no extra charge... anyway, it really sucks paying too much money for a broken product even if it's a expected issue with launch hardware

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
an annoyed writer said:
So, PS4s are lighting up red like cylons and the Xbones are eating discs. Sucks to be the early adopting beta testers there.
Quoted for truth, accuracy, and the American way! Actually that last part is just to eat up text, so that I don't get a low content warning. That last one as well, and that one, and that one, and.....

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
So I guess neither side had a flawless launch then. The PS4 with the red light, and Xbox One with the drive problems. I'm sure both will try to fix said problem as the produce more stock for the holiday season. Black Friday probably won't see a mark down on either system, but it's a good time to put more units on the shelf while people are in the buying mood. I think I saw some stores mark down PS4/Xbox One games to $49 for Black Friday. If that's the case I wonder how Cyber Monday will go.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
My GUESS from the sound is that the mottor that is supposed to turn the disc is stuck soemwhere and you hear it "slip" as it tries to move the disc. either the motor itsel is stuck or he disc remains clamped on when inserter (the stupid mechanism that rolls it in does not release it). as so far it does not seem to damage the discs its not the disk itself hitting something it seems.

oldtaku said:
The company's first solution is to examine the disc and carefully wipe the disc from the inside to the outside with a soft cloth.
It always amuses me how useless first level tech advice is.
actually while this hardly ever applies to new discs obviuosly, dusty and scrachy discs do cause a lot of trouble and most disc-related issues are actually discs fault.

search_rip said:
roseofbattle said:
Well, the way warranty works is retailer will tell you to contact manufacturer. Some retailers do hande it all themselves, especially in countries that have no manufacturer office in, but essentially they themselves just do the same thin - send them back to microsoft. The point however is not to get your comsole replaced, thep oint is to be angry and annoyed and scream at some IT support guy at microsoft. because people are angry and need venting.

cerebus23 said:
And thats were you're wrong.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
No not wrong, right when you come into a thread, and say any fail rate is unacceptable what word do these people live in exactly then?

Nothing is 100% period. yes if the ps4 or xbone gets a fail rate of 20% or 40% in the xbox 360s case, that is unacceptable, if it a small number of consoles that is normal.

Yes they have a point saying the 1% figure for ps4 was sketchy until some independent numbers show up, but to say that 1% is "unacceptable" that is TROLLING.

Unless you live in a perfect world where nothing ever goes wrong, memory chips dont come bricked, consoles dont come defective or bricked, delivery guys dont drop boxes ever. You build enough pcs, you will be rmaing a few parts here and there that just come doa, if its factory error, shipping error, stuff happens period.

Having a 0% fail that would be great but that is not reality by any stretch of the imagination.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
There are always going to be some duds with any product, its just more apparent with a big launch like with a new console. Even more so if the companies rush production to meet a quota for launch day. At least with the PS4 it seems to be a simple fix unlike the Xbone which is pretty much DOA.

Guess that's part of the risk you take being an early adopter, you get the new toy first buuuuut it might not work quite right :p

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Really, there aren't any other consumer electronics that have the launch like a console. You don't see midnight releases for a new toaster, or even a TV for that matter.

iPhones maybe? But they always have a disastrous fail rate too, and the backlash is about the same.

So yeah, consoles take the biggest hit by failure rates because more people buy them instantly, unlike pretty much any other consumer electronic device.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
faefrost said:
More surprising is in this day and age MS went with a Disk drive that can't be used vertically? Really? Somebody made that engineering decision?
WickedFire said:
Pretty much called this happening as soon as they said don't use the console vertically because of the disc drive. Just screams using cheap parts, which is impressive when you consider even a blu-ray drive can be found for ~£20 at retail.
Why would you even have your console vertical in the first place? Surely you want to sit your $500 piece of hardware horizontally so it can't be tipped over to damage anything.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
smithy_2045 said:
faefrost said:
More surprising is in this day and age MS went with a Disk drive that can't be used vertically? Really? Somebody made that engineering decision?
WickedFire said:
Pretty much called this happening as soon as they said don't use the console vertically because of the disc drive. Just screams using cheap parts, which is impressive when you consider even a blu-ray drive can be found for ~£20 at retail.
Why would you even have your console vertical in the first place? Surely you want to sit your $500 piece of hardware horizontally so it can't be tipped over to damage anything.
It depends. Vertical orientation has long been an option for most gaming consoles. The previous XBOX 360 was mostly marketed and pictured in an upright manner. The ability to rotate it allows for more freedom in a greater number of places. Such as in a College Dorm Room, a bookshelf near a wall mounted TV, etc. So it is not unreasonable for new purchasers to expect to be able to stack it that way. And most of these complaints don't seem to be specifying that the console was vertical.

I'm thinking that the inability to use the console upright and the disk grinding issues are two separate symptoms of poor quality disk drives. Not one causing the other.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wasn't there a report about Microsoft cutting costs in the disk drives? I seem to recall that.

Much like with the PS4, I'm not going to claim this is anything more than isolated incidents until I hear otherwise. Though, I did hear one guy had two Xbox Ones screw up on him in 16 hours. And that seems statistically unlikely if the percentage of faulty units is low.

Though, I've heard of weirder cases. Like a guy who won the lottery twice and in the same store. Or the person who bought three tickets and won on two of them.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
That depends where you live, in Australia you take it back to the retailer and get a new one, it's the law that they must replace (they then send it back to Microsoft for a replacement to sell) faulty products, it's not the consumers job to run around after a replacement.

OT: After the 360 having issues with discs being scratched I can't be suprised, although disappointed they put so little effort in. Saying that it's not like they designed it with the consumer in mind so can't be suprised, they weren't planning to use the thing anyway. Glad I didn't waste my money on the thing.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
faefrost said:
It depends. Vertical orientation has long been an option for most gaming consoles. The previous XBOX 360 was mostly marketed and pictured in an upright manner. The ability to rotate it allows for more freedom in a greater number of places. Such as in a College Dorm Room, a bookshelf near a wall mounted TV, etc. So it is not unreasonable for new purchasers to expect to be able to stack it that way. And most of these complaints don't seem to be specifying that the console was vertical.

I'm thinking that the inability to use the console upright and the disk grinding issues are two separate symptoms of poor quality disk drives. Not one causing the other.
That's not really true though, last gen (I'll eventually get used to saying that) and the PS2 are the only consoles that have been able to stand vertically, or advertised as such. Even then, having one of the first 360s vertically was not the best idea because it seemed to make disc scratches more likely.

Personally, I've never liked it just for the simple fact they can be so easy to knock over when vertical and can understand why they'd design it to only function horizontally.