Favored firearms.

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
Nickolai77 said:
I can see more threads like this taking off soon....

[HEADING=3]The Lee-Enfield Rifle[/HEADING]

[HEADING=3]History and Trivia[/HEADING]

The Lee-Enfield family of rifles has an incredibly long history (1895-present) and has seen action in a surprising amount of wars and conflicts such as the Sino-Indian War, the Arab-Israeli war and even the current war in Afghanistan. It was the main service rifle of British, Commonwealth and Empire forces during the first half of the 20th century, and still in use as a police rifle in some former territories of the British Empire such as India.

The Lee-Enfield rifle's were accurate and reliable, with a respectable ten round magazine, but what these rifles excelled at was rapid, accurate shooting. It was said in WW1 the Germans at first mistook groups of riflemen for machine-gun positions due to the sheer volume of fire these rifles could lay down on the enemy. This was perhaps a design feature from the colonial-era, when there was a need for massed lines of infantry to be able to quickly fire rapid volleys of fire into charging African warriors as famously depicted in Zulu. In WW2 the Lee-Enfield designs were developed further, with sniper-rifle and jungle carbine variants being put in production. Today it remains a popular sports and hunting rifle, and is arguably one of the best bolt action rifles ever made.

"The mad minute" was a pre-ww1 training exercise which refers to scoring a minimum of 15 hits onto a 12" round target at 300 yards (270 m) within one minute using the rifle in training. Experienced war veterans however were known to surpass this.

This is also an interesting video of a WW2 vetran talking about the Lee-Enfield

As for why I like this firearm? Well I like bolt action rifles in general, and I think aesthetically it's well designed and it's a rifle that's very much apart of my country's history and heritage.
I own a 1941 Ishapore (Aka a rifle made in the Ishapore factory in India, where they still make modern versions called the 2A1.) Man alive, out of all the guns I have shot, this is definitely in my top 5 guns of all time, and I can easily shoot out to 100 yards and get a very nice group, and 200-300 is still pretty easy, just have to adjust. it's accurate, the bolt is smooth as butter, and that 10 round mag. Fun Fact, it is the first rifle adopted by a military to have a removable magazine (a staple of rifles today), but they didn't use it!, they loaded the rifle by stripper clips, they used that feature for cleaning purposes.

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
Also, OT, My favorite gun ever that I have shot, and I am planning get myself as a graduation gift, is a 4" barrel Colt Python .357. This is sex in the shape of a gun.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
Can't go wrong with a rocket launcher designed to fire napalm
Basically designed to replace the old WW2 flamethrowers, it still sees use as the US army's incendiary weapon

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I think I'll always have a soft spot for the M1A and its family tree, like the M14 or M21 or M39. I have to recognize that the M14 isn't a really good gun on its own: I have little doubt an AR-15 could outshoot any Ruger Mini-14 in terms of accuracy even though they both chamber the same rounds and a Ruger Mini-14 is probably way way more expensive than most AR-15s. But that fucking action just makes me so happy every time I touch it.

Another gun that's impossible not to like is the Schofield Model 3. Top-breaking revolvers, dudes.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
I think mine would be the M249 SAW or the M-14.

I've been using the SAW for over 2 years now and there's just something about it that makes me like it more than most rifles. Could be the fact I can reliably hit a target at 500 yards with the first burst or the fact that I've never ran into most of the problems with jamming that people usually complain about them having, but I like it, plus the M-2 .50 cal is just too heavy to carry around and fire.

The M-14 I like because as old as the system is, it's still very effective, and the Juggernaut Rogue chassis does look like it'd fix my biggest qualm with the system, namely that it's still a long gun.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
BOOM headshot65 said:
...Henry .44 Rifle...
Quite sleek and deadly-looking rifle. The scope, surprisingly, doesn't seem to clash all that badly with the rest of the weapon. Reminds me of some .44 revolvers that have scopes on them.

thaluikhain said:
...Similarly, the SPP-1 Underwater Pistol...
Ouch. That brought to mind the dart-head scene from Shaun of the Dead...one of those things you look at that'll instinctively cause you to grimace, stick your tongue out and make that garbled, uncomfortable "Heeyurgh" noise. I'm quite a fan of break-action shotguns and pistols; there's something strangely satisfyingly therapeutic about popping in the cartridges or bullets one by one and whistling as you do it.

I suppose it'd be remiss not to mention the AK-47 or AKS-47U (the carbine version). The latter is a short-barreled gun with a flash and noise suppressor, as well as a very strange sight. It's still in use by police, paratroopers and armoured units, though their arsenal seems to have been more recently supplemented by this odd creature:

There's a family tree that's seen some serious shit, as they say.

tangoprime said:
I don't know the practicality of putting a suppressor on the end of a P90, but boy, does it look surprisingly neat-o. I could start at that weird and wonderful weapon for ages and still not understand how the hell its magazine actually feeds into the gun. There's another with a strange magazine that I can't seem to recall the name of...it was a Russian one with a large-capacity helical magazine that clipped onto the underside of the barrel.

cryogeist said:
Can't go wrong with a rocket launcher designed to fire napalm
Basically designed to replace the old WW2 flamethrowers, it still sees use as the US army's incendiary weapon
Ah, yes...that looks familiar. Featured in Commando, wasn't it? :D

Frightens the shit out of me. :/

Smilomaniac said:
MTs 255 - Russian shotgun with a revolving cylinder.
There's something very elegant about the way it looks and I'm a sucker for revolvers.

For the same reason, I like old-fashioned lever action rifles/shotguns/carbines; they're elegant.
Strange-looking weapon, but you're right; it does look quite elegant. Weapons like revolver shotguns occupy that nice little niche for me. There's also...

TheYellowCellPhone said:
I think I'll always have a soft spot for the M1A and its family tree, like the M14 or M21 or M39. I have to recognize that the M14 isn't a really good gun on its own: I have little doubt an AR-15 could outshoot any Ruger Mini-14 in terms of accuracy even though they both chamber the same rounds and a Ruger Mini-14 is probably way way more expensive than most AR-15s. But that fucking action just makes me so happy every time I touch it.

Another gun that's impossible not to like is the Schofield Model 3. Top-breaking revolvers, dudes.
I loved the variant of the M14 that they put into Far Cry 3; reloading it was a joy. It's the little things in life! :)

Here's another favourite of mine:

[HEADING=3]History:[/HEADING]

The first of the "Uzi" family was designed by Major Uziel Gal in the latter years of the 1940s and was in use with the IDF by 1954. Like the AKS-74U, this PDW has seen use with artillery troops, tankers, officers and special forces units. The Uzi experienced a boom in sales from the 1960s through the 1980s, becoming the most sold weapon worldwide for military, law enforcement and security markets.

[HEADING=3]Interest:[/HEADING]

Yes, it's The Terminator. Is anyone surprised?

Sorry. :I

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Barbas said:
tangoprime said:
I don't know the practicality of putting a suppressor on the end of a P90, but boy, does it look surprisingly neat-o. I could start at that weird and wonderful weapon for ages and still not understand how the hell its magazine actually feeds into the gun. There's another with a strange magazine that I can't seem to recall the name of...it was a Russian one with a large-capacity helical magazine that clipped onto the underside of the barrel.
The gemtech suppressor on that P90 makes a pretty big difference, and yeah, definitely looks neato, lol. The magazine is pretty interesting, and a lot simpler than you'd think. The "front" of the magazine (as it is when on the weapon) is similar to the bottom of standard magazines, and the rounds are loaded into the "rear." The 5.7mm rounds lay in it perpendicular to the direction of the weapon and feed from the "rear" by rotating 90^ as they exit the magazine. The magazine is inserted by hooking the "front" and lowering the rear straight down into the depression with a nice slap. It sounds a bit more involved then a standard magazine change, but it's quite smooth when you get good at it- plus with 50 rounds per magazine, you're doing it less often.

The other weapon you're thinking of is a Russian Bizon SMG (also referred to sometimes as a Biz-9)
It's based on an AKS-74, chambered in 9x18mm Makarov and using a 64 round helical feed magazine.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Barbas said:
Yup, the Soviet Rifle was likely based off of the FAL, although it can only be used fully automatic, which would explain the larger clip size, and it fits the gameplay better.

As for the RCP90, it's a long time since I played Goldeneye, but it's probably the reason P90s are so prominent in Timesplitters, considering most of its developers used to work at Rare.

I like your taste in guns. I often considered buying COD: World at War purely for the sake of using WW2 style weaponry. Like you say, they have a rugged and simplistic style. I'm a fan of the BREN, myself and my favourite gun in the first Medal of Honor was the BAR.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
Out of those that haven't already been mentioned, I would say some old favorites of mine are the SVT-40, FN-49 and the M1 Carbine. All of these weapons are vastly unappreciated, IMO.

SVT-40

The SVT-40 is one of the finest semi-autos of it's time. Simple reliable design, easy to strip and clean (almost as easy as fieldstripping a SKS) and fine accuracy for an infantry rifle. I would go so far as to say that it is a better design than the M1 Garand, particularly due to the adjustable gas system and detachable 10 round magazines. I certainly enjoy shooting my SVT-40 far more than my M1, although the vastly different price of ammo might be a factor into this perception. Soviet conscripts were never properly trained to maintain a semi-auto rifle, thus we hear claims of unreliability. The German and Finnish soldiers who captured them, as well the better trained Soviet Naval Infantry, consistently praised the SVT-40.

FN-49

The predecessor of the FN-FAL. It has a similar design as the SVT-40, but is built to a much higher peace-time standard. Not much to say except that they are lots of fun to shoot. I love the look of this firearm too, the perfect blend of pre-WW2 and post-WW2 designs.

M1 Carbine

The M1 Carbine is also a fine short range firearm. The .30 carbine round is actually a powerhouse pistol round rather than a rifle round. Claims of poor performance at long range (>200m) are probably true, but this is really the fault of the user rather than the carbine. This weapon was designed for close range defense. Based on my range-time with this firearm, I would say it achieves this goal admirably. The .30 carbine can easily turn pumpkins into a mess of pulp with a single round and the recoil felt is almost negligible.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
FURY_007 said:
I own a 1941 Ishapore (Aka a rifle made in the Ishapore factory in India, where they still make modern versions called the 2A1.) Man alive, out of all the guns I have shot, this is definitely in my top 5 guns of all time, and I can easily shoot out to 100 yards and get a very nice group, and 200-300 is still pretty easy, just have to adjust. it's accurate, the bolt is smooth as butter, and that 10 round mag. Fun Fact, it is the first rifle adopted by a military to have a removable magazine (a staple of rifles today), but they didn't use it!, they loaded the rifle by stripper clips, they used that feature for cleaning purposes.
Nice, and now that you mention it I am surprised at myself for not noticing the oddity of there being a magazine below the rifle but it is loaded by stripper clips. I'd love to have a chance to shoot the rifle but opportunities to do so are few and far between where I live.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Few things are as elegant as a revolver, i read about these when i was little

Except perhaps a best Mauser
http://www.mauser.com/en/products/meisterklasse/m-03-ghost-and-darkness/

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, the Medusa 47

Designed to be able to fire about 25 different types of ammunition in .357-.38 ish calibre. Which is pretty cool.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Well.

From my army days, I was trained with the Colt Canada C7A1.

It's basically a licensed produced M16A2 with a rail for the ELCAN C79 optical sight.

I have a bit of a soft spot for it because of nostalgia, but the nostalgia is still tempered a bit by all the residue that get's deposited in the chamber from firing it (which is A LOT since it uses the M16 gas system).

Personally if I had a choice between all firearms I'd probably go with the HK416.

Uses the same familiar furniture and controls of the C7A1 and it uses a short-stroke gas-rod system. A lot more reliable, and doesn't soil itself after each shot.

For a pistol I'd probably go with a SIG P210-1.

Sure it's expensive, but even by just holding it, it gives you a sense of getting what you paid for.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I've got a few but I shall limit myself to 1 per category:

Handgun:
Assault Rifle:
Rifle:
Shotgun:
SMG: