Favorite bad-guy-turned-good-guy

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
So, as the title suggests, what are your favorite instances of a character who started out as a villain, turning into a good guy?

Remember, this isn't about anti-heroes, I'm talking about characters specifically introduced as antagonists, who later became good guys (although a villain turning INTO an anti-hero is okay).

Personally, one of my favorites is Majin Buu.

The Fat Buu vs Kid Buu fight is one of my favorites in all of DBZ.

What about the rest of you?

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I just finished the last air bender, so Zuko comes to mind. I'd also throw Scar from full metal into the running.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Ahh I got nothing really...maybe Xena? I don't really like it when bad guys become good guys.

No wait, I got it. Al Swearengen. Nothing about him changes, he doesn't become a "good guy", he is still the same ruthless bastard that was planning to murder a child in the first episode. We just learn a little bit more about what drives him, and a whole bunch of worse characters are introduced.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Magneto is a good guy at the moment. I've always thought he was a great villain because his goals are largely noble (protect mutants) and his past experience explains his behaviour (holocaust survivor), it's just the way he goes about it is extreme.

He also has a fantastic costume which blends both superhero and supervillain costume concepts.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LostCrusader said:
I just finished the last air bender, so Zuko comes to mind. I'd also throw Scar from full metal into the running.
Zuko was a pretty awesome example. I love the one point it seems he's going to turn good and doesn't. I'm avoiding specifics, but still.

Spike comes to mind, but not the part where he's wussified. I love it when he gets his groove back.

There was another example I really like, but I'm totally pulling a Rick Perry.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
All I have to say is... Magus

Oh hells yeah.

EDIT: Or Vegeta. Vegeta kicks all sorts of ass.

RobotNinja

Aug 2, 2009
I have a few: Magus from Chrono Trigger, Greed from Full Metal Alchemist, and Darth Vader of course.

Edit ^ goddamit, I was ninja'd TWICE

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I think that Fate from Negima, I don't like the character, but the transition from antagonist to hero supporter by debating with Negi about his purposes, and finding an alternative route to his goals by supporting Negi, hence joining him. It was something really cool.

Also Viral from Gurren Lagann.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
It's kind of unknown if he ever turned 'good' parsay but he did ally with Chrono's crew to have more of a chance against Lavos. By all means a kickass character though.

You took both my choices. I tip my hat to you sir.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
Superbii Squalo from KHR.

He cut off his hand, then attached that sword to it, and flies around on a shark while screaming at the top of his lungs. How can you not like someone like that?

Dragnridr3

Dec 26, 2008
I have a couple particular favorites like Greed and Scar from FML or Golbez in FFIV. Oh and Princess Luna in MLP. She went from totally evil Nightmare Moon to 20% cooler Princess Luna in 10 seconds flat.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
There can only be one answer: Vegeta. He is the best bad guy turned hero.
Actually I had a discussion with someone about his character development and we realized a couple things. Like Vegeta actually grows to like Gohan. We even theorized that he might have acted as a sort of surrogate father figure to him after Goku's death fighting Cell.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
unfortunatly I cant remember many cases of that happening

though in dragon age orrigins *SPOILERS*

logain I think becaomes reasonable enough if you recruit him...however I never did that for long because i had to lose alistair..

and i guess in any role playing game..like Fallout New Vegas you can play an evil phsycho path but change your ways in the end

Fallout 3 doesnt coutn because the "water begers" are a cheating device

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Redlin5 said:
BreakfastMan said:
It's kind of unknown if he ever turned 'good' parsay but he did ally with Chrono's crew to have more of a chance against Lavos. By all means a kickass character though.

You took both my choices. I tip my hat to you sir.

You could still choose Piccolo. BTW, for Piccolo being awesome, go to 8:14

Yak Johnson

Jun 14, 2011
Wolverine was originally a bad guy. Surprised he hasn't been mentioned. I mean, come on. Wolverine.