Favorite characters in literature.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Master Li and Number Ten Ox from "The Bridge of Birds", "The Story of the Stone" and "Eight Skilled Gentlemen" a series of ancient Chinese Fantasy/Mystery novels.

Master Li is sort of like an ancient, constantly drunk and very Chinese Sherlock Holmes and Number Ten Ox brillaintly plays as his Watson, a brave peasant loyally accompanying his crazed crime solving master all over china.

Duol

Aug 18, 2008
Spartan Bannana said:
Who is John Galt?
Arsen said:
Roland Deschain and Walter O' Dim - These characters have such depth as two complete opposites.
Everything I have to say has been said. I am a huge Dark Tower fan, the characterization in those novels is excellent.

I also love Ayn Rand in every possible way, and amazing writer who i agree with in many ways...

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Colonel Sutpen, followed closely the Snopes family.

Good old Faulkner knew how to write the kind of asshole that puts the fear into you.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Arsen said:
Roland Deschain and Walter O' Dim - These characters have such depth as two complete opposites.
Completely agree with this one. Roland is my favourite character in my favourite series of books...

The character 'George', from John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men also left a big impression on me after I read it. The choice he has to make at the end, the way it's written; just brilliant.

master m99

Jan 19, 2009
belgarth from the belgariad and maloriad (no idea how to spell those) nice charicture whos identity is reveled very well

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
Rusty Bucket said:
LewsTherin said:
Mat Cauthon, A'Lan Mandragoran, Belgarath, and, of course, Drizzt.
Agree completely with the first two. I was wondering if that's where your name came from.

Edit: Forgot to actually add something to the thread. I'd say Karsa Orlong and Anomander Rake from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
Agree. Especially Anomander Rake, he's The Awesome. To add something I have to say that Quick Ben (from which I took my name,) from the same series rules too.

Edit: Forgot to add that Anomander Rake>Jesus

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The protagonist from The Alchemist.

Read that book. Its a life-changer.

ThePoodonkis

Apr 22, 2008
Ruzzian Roulette said:
The Guy from Anthem, by Ayn Rand
Equality 7-2521.
I was gonna say him., so I'll have to find another.

I'll say Arthur Dent fron The Hitchhiker's Guide series.
Or Jay Gatsby from The Great Gatsby.
Or Mike Durant from In The Company of Heroes.

neo_spork

Oct 14, 2008
Jon Snow from George R R Martin's song of Ice and Fire...he knows who he is, and what he should do, but is so flawed it's impossible not to like him.

Dorian Grey from the picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde - Again, oh so human.

Gandalf from J R R Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings such a wise, ederly figure, reminded me of my Grandfather.

and i've always had a soft spot for Hamlet from Hamlet because of the humanity of the character and the comparison and fine line between sanity and madness, which the character really did show me...

that's all I can think of for now, but I'll agree with Sam Vimes & death from Pratchett...

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
Probably Logan Ninefingers or Inquisitor Glokta from the "The First Law Trilogy" by Joe Abercrombie

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Quick Ben said:
Rusty Bucket said:
LewsTherin said:
Mat Cauthon, A'Lan Mandragoran, Belgarath, and, of course, Drizzt.
Agree completely with the first two. I was wondering if that's where your name came from.

Edit: Forgot to actually add something to the thread. I'd say Karsa Orlong and Anomander Rake from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
Agree. Especially Anomander Rake, he's The Awesome. To add something I have to say that Quick Ben (from which I took my name,) from the same series rules too.

Edit: Forgot to add that Anomander Rake>Jesus
I forgot about Quick Ben. In fact, most of the characters from that series are awesome. Except Trull Sengar, he depresses me.

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
Pierre Bezukhov and Prince Andrei Bolkonksy - War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Victor Frankenstein and The Creation - Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

and
mark_n_b said:
Porfiry Petrovich and Dmitri from Crime and Punishment (I have to reread that, Porfiry is so smuggly clever, man, I loved that guy)
This.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Jharry5 said:
Arsen said:
Completely agree with this one. Roland is my favourite character in my favourite series of books...

The character 'George', from John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men also left a big impression on me after I read it. The choice he has to make at the end, the way it's written; just brilliant.
George and Lenny are two great characters. I loved Tom Joad from Grapes of Wrath.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
To every mention of the characters in the Steven Erickson books, I actually think the least one-sided character is:
Toc the Younger. His refusal to follow directly in his father's footsteps, his rebellion against Envy, his whole story in Memories of Ice, it just reinforced how he is the most relatable and human character in the book, as far as I am concerned. He doesn't have any of the superpowers like Ben or Rake, or even Kalam for that matter, and it makes him so vulnerable, and yet he always makes his stand. Definitely my favorite character in the series.

Don't get me wrong, all of the characters are great and all, but that one is my favorite.

As for Catch-22, Yossarian is great but he's such a pawn until the end. Milo is the real beast in this one.

Oh, and Winston Niles Rumfoord from Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut. That and Cat's Cradle are probably my favorite Sci Fi Vonnegut books.

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
Erana said:
Jesus>Sephiropth.
Wait.... So Cloud might lose against Jesus?

One of my personal favorites is The Giver, from a book of the same name. Then again, the wizened elder archetype has always been a favorite of mine (hence why I also liked Dumbledore and Brom).

Also, Javert from Les Miserables. You've got to get something for being the original overzealous detective.