Favorite cheap "recession" food?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Favourite recession food? Turkey stuffing. At $1 per meal it's cheap and tasty.

Most eaten recession food? Mr. Noodles and the knockoff Great Value brand ramen noodles. I eat those all the time despite not liking them.

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
I only like instant noodles when it comes in the cup. Which trashes the cheapness of them. KD is probably my favourite cheap food. Other than that I always buy rice, bread, and eggs.

Unfortunately my frugal eating lacks significant portions of meat and veg so I try to eat lots of peanut butter, beans, and salad when I can.

You can throw together a nice stirfry quite cheaply.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Rye bread with Leverpostej http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leverpostej and apple juice.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Maria46 said:
Hello! My name is Maria. I'm from RTR (Russian State Television). Our correspondent works in London. Yt is preparing a material for our news about food out of date. We are looking for interview with some people in London who are fond of food out of date and who are against it because they think it could be dangerous for health. My e-mail is [email protected]. I'll be grapeteful for your answer. Thanks in advance.
Oh look a spambot. Kill it.

On topic, I prefer a box of good old Kraft Dinner

Luffie

Jun 9, 2009
Kodlak said:
The cheapest is no eating for a few days, but 10p tesco value noodles are good:p
starvation yay!
in all seriousness despite what health nuts say not eating for a while or just eating really sparingly wont kill you, heck it doesnt seem to do anything the only thing to deal with is self-control

that being said cereal is pretty good, it doesnt even need milk which is the most expensive part. Peanut butter is also amazing by itself, though i feel just a little homleless with a jar of it and a spoon

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Either Sausage sandwiches (cheap bread + cheap sausages + cheap mustard = full stomach) or Tesco Raviolli (45p a can)

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I honestly don't get people "eating down" during a recession, my friends are all horrible for it, I get paid a shit wage, barely above unemployment, I spend too much money on internet and games and other electronics but yet I eat far better then any of my friends, they are always angling for an invite.

I can make enough fried rice to feed 4 people with enough left over to last me a week of work lunches... for $10AU. No I'm not kidding, $10, it's not hard, and that's just one meal, some might cost less or more, and wont go as far (but as a good rule of thumb rich, chilly, stews, etc will last a long while), it can be done, you can be poor and eat well if you think about it.

Of course that doesn't mean I don't have raman and tins of baked beans in the cupboard, after all those are good lazy food. But as a general rule, those things people are posting like Kraft Meal Packs, etc, are actually more expensive then making meals yourself.

I honestly don't know how things are in other countries though, I know from friends in the States and Europe that red meat is a lot more expensive then it is in Australia, but on the other front you don't need to know how to cook to be able to make a small food bill go a long way if you're willing to expend a little effort, google some cheap recipes and you'll go a long way.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
SendMeNoodz84 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Recession food? Isn't that just student food then?

Super noodle sandwiches ftw
This is either EXTREMELY insane, or EXTREMELY genius.

And hot dogs are very cheap and delicious.
It's insane. I made one when I was in high school.. had to throw the ***** away, it was nasty.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Pancakes are always good. Then again squirrels and rabbits are good when prepared properly.

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
Wildrow12 said:
Peanut Butter: It can be an appetizer (w/ Crackers). It can be a main course (Peanut Butter marinated beef). It can be desert (peanut butter and oreo cookies).
Your forgetting peanut butter on a spoon... plain... and amazing...

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Lost In The Void said:
Maria46 said:
Hello! My name is Maria. I'm from RTR (Russian State Television). Our correspondent works in London. Yt is preparing a material for our news about food out of date. We are looking for interview with some people in London who are fond of food out of date and who are against it because they think it could be dangerous for health. My e-mail is [email protected]. I'll be grapeteful for your answer. Thanks in advance.
Oh look a spambot. Kill it.

On topic, I prefer a box of good old Kraft Dinner

lolwut? They just call it 'Dinner' where you're from? In the states they call it Macaroni & Cheese.

"It's the cheesiest!" (Which I always think of as an ironic self-reference to the marketing slogan itself).

OT: I've taken a liking to canned beans. High in protein, good source of carbs, and tastes good mixed with Velveeta singles and Pace picante sauce. I also am pretty fond of canned tuna, although the good kinds you get at natural food stores are pretty expensive.

Oh yeah, and I love French bread with marinara sauce. I can get a loaf about as long as my arm for a $1.50 and a plastic bottle of Prego that'll last me through three of them for another $4.00.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
When i was between jobs once (and were to proud to ask my family to lend me money) i once ate 10 days for 10 euroes. Most of the cash i used for multi-vitamin juice to keep healthy.

Worst thing: just boil rice and flavour it with curry. Costs about 25 cents per half a kilo. Cheaper isn't really possible and you keep your energy.

But of course in that time (i got a physical labour job after that... but had to work a month before i got paid - i lost about 20 kg weight... good thing i was on the chubby side *g*)

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
Tsunimo said:
Wildrow12 said:
Peanut Butter: It can be an appetizer (w/ Crackers). It can be a main course (Peanut Butter marinated beef). It can be desert (peanut butter and oreo cookies).
Your forgetting peanut butter on a spoon... plain... and amazing...
Correction: Peanut Butter on a WOODEN spoon. Go ahead and laugh but there is a definite taste difference. The good kind.