Favorite Civ in the Civ Series?

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
What the title says: Which civilization is your favorite to play as and why? It can be from any game in the series, including expansions, but no mods.

I have a particular fondness for Rome in Civ V (admittedly, the only Civ game I've played). It's not for any gameplay reasons (I like that legions can build roads, but the balistae and production bonus I could take or leave), it's just that I just like the idea of being the immortal ruler of Rome. I enjoy slipping into the character of a haughty Roman emperor and referring to my conquests as "giving my enemies the honor of being a part of Rome's glory."

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I prefer any Civ that give s me bonuses on Culture and Faith.

Culture, for obvious reasons, and Faith because (late-game) you can buy any Great Person you need/want.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
America in Civ 4. Demographic warfare and rapid expansion is my means of victory.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
that's a tough one....

hmmm....Shoshone from Civ 5. Just massively overpowered. Venice is fun to play as since you cant build settlers but get a ton of cash.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
France all the way, I like playing a civ that has a bit of culture (preferred their bonus in vanilla civ5) and their special unit the Musketeers are just one of the most stylish looking military units in history in my humble opinion, this argument applies to all games ^^ Gogo musketeer spam!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Civilization V is the most fun, but Alpha Centauri is the most awesome.

...so the upcoming Beyond Earth is probably going to take the prize. :D

EDIT: lol how do I read things

I go for India every time. I'm not good at effective expansion, so being able to stay small but very populous is very attractive indeed.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
lacktheknack said:
Civilization V is the most fun, but Alpha Centauri is the most awesome.

...so the upcoming Beyond Earth is probably going to take the prize. :D
Hehehe! I almost did that by accident.

OT: In Civilization V, I usually like playing as the Civs that have historically built empires of their own, e.g. England, France, Greece or Rome. I'm particularly partial to England, because it is a strange place with bewildering hats.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Harald Bluetooth ************

Mostly because of my first time meeting him in my singleplayer map and him being all stancing on a boat. I was like "daym I gots to get me some of those furs"

so now I play him/Denmark and rush the great lighthouse. Or cry tears of complete blood when I somehow end up IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE WITHOUT EVEN A LAKE TO MOCK ME.

Uhhh...

Hm. Besides that, no one really. I aggressively can't decide which civ I like. Although I -do- know that I can't stand any of the natives for some reason. I don't even know why.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I enjoy Rome in Civ 5. That ability to increase production on a building if it is in the capital is awesome. I love their legion unit too. They are amazing.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Most recently I'm going to say the Shoshone from Brave New World. They're horrifyingly overpowered early game, and in a game where early success tends to snowball into mid and late game dominance that's hard to pass up. With other CiVs I'm looking forward to different epochs coming in so my special unit or power can come into play. With the Shoshone I've got the game wrapped up before I've even hit the Classical Age.

RariShyZealot

May 31, 2011
I prefer the Shoshone from Civ 5, but I try to play with different civs, testing them out. If mods count I liked the Changeling Civ for BNW, but something went wrong and it stopped showing up in the mods list for me...

I also like Sweden because everyone likes their own country, right?

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I feel like the unique civ characteristics are usually so unimportant that the only difference between the civs are their colours and names. But maybe that's because I don't play enough civ; maybe the pros know how to use England's ships +1 movement better than me.

vIRL Nightmare

Jul 30, 2013
Babylon. Free scientist at writing, +50% scientist unlocks. Also I prefer Civs with a strong early game in terms of units/buildings.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
Boudicca in Civ V! The whole faith thing before anyone else can even build a shrine is SUPER DUPER especially with Marathon timing because then you get 30 turns of faith free which can be very helpful. Both of her special things are helpful to me as well because I focus on happiness and golden ages and I rarely build an army until later on so having a strong starting unit is just tops. I also happen to be descended from her tribe so that's neat.

Plus, being a badass warrior queen has its appeal too.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Gotta be Shaka. Love me some Pike -> Musket upgrade line. Seriously, while the upgrades are nice and awesome, I hate that Pikemen "upgrade" into Lancers. This fixes that, with the added benefit of the musketmen having boss upgrades.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Siam is always fun. Just get all the city states as allies and you can dictate everything about everything.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Depends. For singleplayer i really enjoy Venices unique playstyle, but it's completly broken because making 1.5k+ gold per turn just mean that by round 250 every city state is my friend and every vote is mine if necessary.
I've yet to not completly destroy games with them. (I usually play on Emperor)

For multiplayer i made nasty expiriences with Austria, both on the dealing and recieving end. Buying city states for lousy 500 bucks with the new tradroute system is absurdly overpowered. 500 Gold for completly defended, connected and a bunch of buildings during the mid game can shift game in mere turns.

Besides that: Civ II Carthaginians. Much war, many victories, so wow. :D

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I like Nobunaga's Japanese civilization in Civ V, because I am a massive weeaboo and the Samurai and Zero units are pretty useful; the Samurai especially have their ability to create fishing boats without being consumed, which is handy.
Plus, why wouldn't I want to be this guy?

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
With Brave New World, I've been playing as the Germans a lot more. When you build the unique bank (can't remember what it's called) you get a 5% bonus in production per trade route with a city state. Since trading with city states is always a good thing, it just leads to all cities having a huge production bonus on top of tons of money. Then by the modern era, if you haven't won yet, unleash the panzers and the game is yours.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I don't think I've ever played the same Civ twice. I most often play epic games on large maps so a round can last 20-30 hours, and I always pick a different Civ to try on each new game. And my most recent few hundred hours (finally stopped two weeks ago) have been exclusively on modded nations. Seriously I'm not into the whole weeaboo thing but those people make the best Civ/Leader mods. The more 'realistic' leader mods tend to recycle existing traits and strive to maintain balance with the vanilla leaders, but the weeaboo modders tend to say **** it and make their mods a bit more overpowered which gives room for more interesting and original traits and a more unique playing experience. Then if you load all the AI slots with other overpowered weeaboo civs it all balances out.