Favorite Comic of All Time

Crimsonshadow66

Sep 20, 2009
I was just curious what the escapist's favorite comics were. Personally I really like Captain America: Winter Soldier, and Highlander.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Scott Pilgrim would be my favourite. Watchmen would be an obvious choice too. Also, even though I've only finished 1 issue, Empowered is a really good comic. Definitely getting more of that.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Killing Joke was really good, and pretty much anything with X-men, but I will say House of M was weird.

The Sandman is probably my most favorite.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010

Pretty much for moments like this:

Plus it's just all-round awesome. Great characters, great stories, great mythology, great artwork. It's just all-round fantastic.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
The Tintin series. I challenge you to find a series with more memorable secondary characters.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Pretty much anything by Marvel, the Punisher, Batman (batman's an asshole I like the villians cuz they're interesting.)

Wuffykins

Jun 21, 2010
Hrm, that is a tough call, but I think I'm going to put it down to the two series where I have gone well out of my way to find and purchase each individual issue rather than pick up the collected editions:

Planetary by Warren Ellis & The Red Star by Christian Gossett.

Oh, I like titles like Y The Last Man, Transmetropolitan, Kabuki and others I can't name off the top of my head, but I've spent a good few years back issue hunting for the above mentioned and am still missing an issue or three. Though I must admit TRS's trade editions are temping to get if only because they're freakin' oversized and it makes the art look even more amazing.

henrius

Jul 2, 2008
I'd have to say The Sandman by Neil Gaiman. It's an incredible series. I highly suggest it. It contains some of the best stories I have ever read.

Edit: (How could I forget?)
If not Sandman than The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman. It's still on going it's a post-apocalyptic zombie series that focuses more on the horror of the human side of things. I also highly recommend it.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Oh, it is so hard to choose. Should I choose Fables? The Goon? Hellboy? V for Vendetta? Transmetropolitan? 100 Bullets? Atomic Robo? The Umbrella Academy? B.P.R.D.? Supreme Power? Civil War? The Uncanny X-men? The New Avengers? Tintin? The Dark Knight Returns? Scott Pilgrim? I love them all very much, and that is not even getting into Manga! Wait, why do I have to choose when I love them all? I say all of those are my favorite comics!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
My favorite? Without question or hesitation, Bill Watterson's "Calvin and Hobbes".
Anyone who has read his works or, like me, grew up on it, can attest to my love for this comic series. It may not be as popular as some, but Mr. Watterson's comic was both inspiration and example of quality for many other comic artists. Even today.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
I can't choose, so here are my top 4 that spring to mind:

Planetary, just such a great book, it left me wanting more though.
DC: The New Frontier, I loved this whole book, especially how they made Martian Manhunter interesting on his own for once. Not only that. but it also has one of the most heartbreaking side stories I've ever read, John Henry. Just John Henry.
The Astounding Wolf-Man was amazing, a really great synthesis of monster and superhero mythology, plus, watching a man's life crash and burn is always a blast. It really left me wishing it wouldn't end.
The Age of the Sentry, a really short and sweet miniseries and a fun melding of the differing Marvel and DC Silver Age styles.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
For me, it would probably be a toss-up between Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County.

I grew up with Calvin and Hobbes. I bought all the book collections, and I still read them to this day. I was a little too young to remember/appreciate Bloom County when it first came out, but my dad got me interested in them when he showed me a few book collections of the strip.

Both comics are good in their own ways. While Calvin and Hobbes is more consistently funny, Bloom County makes up for it with some of the most hilarious strips I've ever read. Calvin and Hobbes tends to deal with more timeless humor and concepts, while Bloom County was in many respects a social commentary on the era it was drawn in. While its 80's references are sometimes a little too obscure, as a whole it's a bitingly effective satire of culture from the decade. Some strips remain surprisingly topical though, like the one about the lady shutting out the world by listening to her Walkman. Just replace it with an iPod and you're good to go.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Blade of the Immortal by Hiroaki Samura, which should be obvious to anyone who recognizes my avatar. Other than that, pretty much anything by Neil Gaiman. Lots of stuff by Alan Moore, Warren Ellis (especially the repeatedly mentioned Planetary and the strangely not-yet-mentioned Transmetropolitan), Garth Ennis, etc. Basically, anything that's written by someone which a writing level above 6th grade.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
It's a tough choice but if I had to pick a favourite comic I'd have to go for Preacher.

Stuff like The Walking Dead, Transmetropoliton and Chew are pretty close as well though.