Favorite Discworld Novel

Mar 30, 2010
'Mort' will always be a favourite of mine as it's what got me into Pratchett, as well as 'Lords and Ladies' since it was my most read Discworld book as a kid, but I think my all time top book of Discworld is 'Night Watch'. Death is cool, the witches are cool, but Sam Vimes is the f*cking man.

Or boy.

Or both.

At the same time.

Err...

*Bloody ninjas, I swear to God...*

Evidencebased

Feb 28, 2011
Tallim said:
I'm half tempted to say Thud! simply because I actually have a copy of Where's My Cow that I read to my daughter :/

But I think I really have to say Pyramids, and I think i may be in a very small minority there.
Ah, Pyramids is definitely in my top handful! It might actually be the one I've read most often out of all of them, even if I think some of the others might be a teensy bit better; assassins are fun. :)

General_Tragg

May 25, 2011
Soul Music I do love me some Susan

Also I enjoy the toon they made, actually that's what got me into Pratchett...

gothic wolf

Jan 10, 2010
My top ones are, men at arms, nightwatch, reaper man, hogfather, thud.

I prefer the novels about the city watch or the ones anout the anthropomorphic personification of Death

FFKonoko

Nov 26, 2009
Its a very tough decision. The classics like Mort and Guards Guards and various Rincewind ones have a special place in my heart, but I think my favourite would have to be one of the Vimes ones...Feet of Clay, Fifth Elephant or Night Watch.

Then again, Lords and Ladies had a certain special something.
And geez, how can I forget susan with Soul Music and Thief of Time?

Do we really have to pick one? This is way too hard.

I can narrow it down to a favourite witch, vimes and susan one. Thief of Time, Lords and Ladies and Night Watch.

Sordin

Aug 5, 2011
While I do love all of them my top 3 would be mort, reaper man and theif of time.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Night Watch is my favourite over all, but I have a soft spot for Interesting Times and Maskerade. Actually Last Hero would be my second favourite if we're allowing the shorter novels.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
It's a toss up between Soul Music and Sourcery.

But there all amazing books, and ones like Eric and The Last hero also deserve a mention.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Is not possible..

..Although wait, do the Tiffany books count? They do take place in the Discworld, after all. Because I absolutely loved I Shall Wear Midnight. I think it was the only Discworld book which made me cry. Both from sadness and joy.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I'm gonna have to say Maskerade - I love theatre, so all the references really make my laugh.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
I've only read 4, and out of those is Mort. I didn't really like the others.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms.

But I'd almost be inclined to say the Colour of Magic, since it has the best out and out jokes, albeit reading almost like it was written by a different person.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
The City Watch series.

Thief of Time

And Lord and Ladies:

Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
In March I had read up until Witches Abroad, and decided to finish the series before Snuff comes out. I started on The Colour of Magic, I've been continually reading Discworld since then and I just finished Night Watch yesterday. My favourite group of novels are the City Watch ones, but my favourite is a little hard to pin down. I'd say it's a tie between Small Gods, Night Watch and Jingo.

Smertnik said:
Is not possible..

..Although wait, do the Tiffany books count? They do take place in the Discworld, after all. Because I absolutely loved I Shall Wear Midnight. I think it was the only Discworld book which made me cry. Both from sadness and joy.
They should, they are part of the main Discworld story. I'm going to start Wee Free Men today and I'm thinking it will be good just based on the Nac Mac Feegle being in it (their part in Carpe Jugulum was small but hilarious).

daydreamerdeluxe

Jun 26, 2009
Despite them theoretically starting as the children's side of the Discworld universe, I adore the Tiffany Aching books.
But, then again, I also love all the ones with Death as a main character (did you know, Death has appeared in every single Discworld book with the sole exception of Wee Free Men?). And, by extension, as they're in books focussed on him, the Death of Rats and Susan, too. Love books with them.
Y'know, I really like books about the wizards, too. Rincewind has SUCH a character!
And the Ramtop mountain Witches! Good ole' Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg!
Ooh, the City Watch stories ,too...

You probably catch my drift. I can just sit there and read Pratchett all day.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Smertnik said:
Is not possible..

That really was a fantastic book - for some reason, the Tiffany books seem more real to me, despite being aimed at a younger audience (I believe). Very nice read...

Goddamn it, now I've got to go out and buy a whole load of Pratchett - the disadvantage of making heavy use of libraries in my youth, lol.

Guards! Guards! Is one I recommend people to start on, what with it being the first of the city watch series, and just being all-round awesome :)

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
Goddamn it, now I've got to go out and buy a whole load of Pratchett - the disadvantage of making heavy use of libraries in my youth, lol.
Yeah, I got most of the novels from libraries as well. I'm planning to get the entire Discworld collection one day, but dang, that's 39 novels (including Snuff, but overall a little less since I already own a few). That's far too many to buy at once.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
Smertnik said:
Is not possible..

That really was a fantastic book - for some reason, the Tiffany books seem more real to me, despite being aimed at a younger audience (I believe). Very nice read...

Guards! Guards! Is one I recommend people to start on, what with it being the first of the city watch series, and just being all-round awesome :)
Yeah the Tiffany books are *technically* aimed at a younger audience but they are still very good. Added bonus for those who haven't read them Wee Free Men can be read for free on Pratchett's site now to celebrate releasing I Shall Wear Midnight on paperback. Crivens!