Favorite Dungeon Crawler

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
In the vein of my favorite game in an obscure genre threads I thought I would visit one very near and dear to me, the dungeon crawler. what is your favorite dungeon crawler and why?

For those uninitiated with what exactly a dungeon crawler is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_crawl

My personal favorite would have to be Fallout 3.

That said, gimme' your two cents!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Oblivion namely the Ayleid ruins. You think you've finished and killed all the bandits then POW! A secret tunnel and a load of undead.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
im in the mood of a good dungeon crawl right now... but neither oblivion or fallout, which i never really considered dungeon crawlers, are going to do it for me...

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
It's certainly not for everyone, but I'd have to say NetHack. I've never played another dungeon crawler where death was so much fun.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Neverwinter Nights, both 1 & 2 and expansions.

That should hold your intrest for a few weeks.

EDIT: And for a bit of OldSchool, go for NetHack or A.D.O.M (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
I dunno if I'd call Oblivion or Fallout 3 Dungeon-Crawlers as they had a great deal of open-world andfriendly NPC interactions. Good games, don't get me wrong, but not Dungeon-Crawlers.

Diablo 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (when it worked) were all excellt dungeon crawlers. DMoMM had it's own issues, not the least of which was production under UBIsoft, but if you can get it working long enough to finish the game, it's a very viscereal experience IMO.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
SakSak said:
Neverwinter Nights, both 1 & 2 and expansions.

That should hold your intrest for a few weeks.

EDIT: And for a bit of OldSchool, go for NetHack or A.D.O.M (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
I've been playing NWN1 for YEARS. Online is a brand new world. NWN2 is sad sauce and makes be a depressed panda.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Never knew Phantasy Star Online was considered a 'dungeon crawler'.

I guess that'll be my answer because PSO for the gamecube is my most-played game ever.(I might have played WoW a few hundred hours, but I've spent twice that amount of time in PSO)

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Nethack is probably my favorite for the sheer variety of inventive ways to kill and be killed.

Arx Fatalis is another good one however, extremely fun first-person rpg that plays kinda like the older rpg's such as Ultima did. Plus I really enjoy the way everything has multiple solutions and how the spell-system works.

Rhob Anybody

Apr 3, 2009
Dungeons and Dragons online. Loads of dungeons, loads of mobs and great walls of fire. Probably the most fun I've had with my clothes on :)

SpikeyGirl

Jun 30, 2009
brewbeard said:
It's certainly not for everyone, but I'd have to say NetHack. I've never played another dungeon crawler where death was so much fun.

'Killed by kicking a wall'

'Killed by a brown pudding'

Yup, I'd agree with you