Favorite famous nerd

The Serpent

Jun 20, 2011
So who represents the nerddom the best? Johnathan Coulton? Vin Diesel? Felicia Day? J.J. Abrams? Seth Rogen?

Personally I'm a big fan of Steve Jobs and John Lasseter. They both lead big, hip, stylish empires (and know each other personally and have worked together for many years). It's something nice about how one day they're nerds, and the next all the "cool kids" are paying them billions for their stuff (iPods and PIXAR-films respectively). ;) Their entire lives is a "f*** you I'm awesome" to the entire world.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Neil Gaiman. Pretty much the King of Ascended Nerds.

Carl goes to mars said:
Harlan Ellison. He's nerdy but he can kick ass.
Pretty sure he doesn't count, since he pretty much despises geek culture. Also, as brilliant as he is, he's also a huge fucking asshole. I say that despite his being one of my favorite authors.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
As much as I loathe to say it, probably George Lucas.

But I don't want to admit that, so Alan Moore.

Carl goes to mars

Jul 7, 2011
Jamboxdotcom said:
Neil Gaiman. Pretty much the King of Ascended Nerds.

Carl goes to mars said:
Harlan Ellison. He's nerdy but he can kick ass.
Pretty sure he doesn't count, since he pretty much despises geek culture. Also, as brilliant as he is, he's also a huge fucking asshole. I say that despite his being one of my favorite authors.
Yeah, he's always bitching about geek culture, but he's definitely a nerd.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Simon Pegg. You can tell in his movies and TV series that he actually genuinely enjoys the geeky stuff: comics, sci fi, etc. I can imagine him going to all the nerdy websites, reading xkcd, and wasting an afternoon on TV Tropes.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Simon Pegg. You can tell in his movies and TV series that he actually genuinely enjoys the geeky stuff: comics, sci fi, etc. I can imagine him going to all the nerdy websites, reading xkcd, and wasting an afternoon on TV Tropes.
Thank you. Basically all of his bigger jobs were nerdy in it's own way:
Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Star Trek
Paul
The upcoming TinTin movie
among others like Fable 3.

And he is funny! And handsome! ^^

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
James Rolfe, A.K.A the Angry Video Game Nerd. He makes these hilarious reviews of older games, bitching about how annoying the music is and how the jump button is B instead of A, plus so much Refuge in Vulgarity that it's just plain hilarious.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Huh, somewhat surprised I'm the first one to say Stan Lee. The man is fantastic.

Also, he REALLY reminds me of my grandpa (seriously, they talk alike, look alike, the whole shebang)

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
The Serpent said:
So who represents the nerddom the best? Johnathan Coulton? Vin Diesel? Felicia Day? J.J. Abrams? Seth Rogen?

Personally I'm a big fan of Steve Jobs and John Lasseter. They both lead big, hip, stylish empires (and know each other personally and have worked together for many years). It's something nice about how one day they're nerds, and the next all the "cool kids" are paying them billions for their stuff (iPods and PIXAR-films respectively). ;) Their entire lives is a "f*** you I'm awesome" to the entire world.
Bill Gates. How the fuck hasn't anyone said this yet?

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
even though Im a Joco Fanboy John Hodgman comes close but is Joco Really famous I mean internet famous but not famous enough to be played on the radio (one can only hope)
Notch Takes the cake for Midly famous outside of the internet

but Im pretty sure john hodgeman wins

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Such a "That Guy! No that guy! No, wait, that guy!" question.

But i'd probably say Neil Gaiman in the end.

Although honorable Mentions to Vin Diesel and Nicholas Cage for being the best "stealth nerds" (although questionable with Cage, i mean, he named himself after a freakin' comic book character!)

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
God it's hard. There's four main candidates for me

Dara O'Briein, Charlie Brooker, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. In the End i'm going to choose:

Charlie Brooker i think. because despite being a games journalist on the side, he's in a constant state of trying to have gaming viewed as an art form and for it to be taken more seriously. He seems to be battling (in an incredibly funny, entertaining and yet still well informed way) every mythical link made between video games and serial killers. while at the same time parodying the very medium he's trying to save. See 'Gameswipe' Love that man and his work

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Stephen Fry.

Think about it, he is the old school type books nerd but he is just awesome.