Favorite Fictional Weapon(s)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lightsaber.

The Sword of Shannara
Mostly because of how it was used to beat the big bad guy in the first book. It wasn't the super powerful weapon, in fact it was a regular sword in all ways but one. It revealed the absolute truth about things around it. And it killed the big bad guy, because he was already dead. The "lie" was his undead status. He was a ghost, a shadow, an echo of a being long dead. And having that revealed to him at the climax of the story is what undid him. I thought that was an interesting take on the "magic weapon to save the day" trope.

The Wierding Module from the 1980's Dune movie. Holy shit was this weapon badass to me as a kid, still is really. "Chaaaaaaa SAH!" xD

The Swords of the Cross from the Dresden Files. Especially
After Butters gets one, and it basically gets turned into a fucking holy lightsaber. xD

RisenStorm

Jan 6, 2016
The Burial Blade from Bloodborne. Effectively, it's a large curved sword that can attach to a handle on your back to become a scythe. You look awesome using it, it has a great moveset, solid enough damage, good rally and stun potential, the works. The boss who uses it also has a few nasty tricks with it that the player sadly doesn't get.

Kingdom Hearts gives us Marluxia's Graceful Dahlia, another scythe. Looks quite pretty, will kill you quickly if you aren't careful.

The Crescent Rose from RWBY. (Noticing a pattern yet?)

Destiny's Gjallarhorn. Seriously, it's a rocket launcher that splits into more rockets when it explodes.

Nazi Zombies has Wunderwaffe, Thundergun, and Gersch Device. (Three insanely powerful insta-kill weapons.)

The Vertical Tanks from the original Steel Battalion.

Just a few.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Culture Knife Missile.

An autonomous, AI-driven, self-propelled weapon in the shape of a dagger. They are basically flying knives that zip around and slice objects apart, only they do it faster than any human could possibly react, and with powerful force fields.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
Too many to count.

Han Solo's DL-44 heavy Blaster: The design is sweet, the sound is cool, and boy can it perform. It's this cool hybrid of those really old pistols and something new, making easily identifiable and also new.

Lightsaber: Seriously, this is the apex of future stuff. A laser sword is just the coolest thing. Especially Luke's second one and that beautiful noise.

Vash's Pistol from Trigun, Another iconic weapon.

The Golden Gun, last pistol.

One more I guess, the Keyblade from Kingdom Hearts. I really want Kylo Ren to fight Sora with a Keyblade with like each key part an part of the lightsaber.

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
The Sword of Shannara
Mostly because of how it was used to beat the big bad guy in the first book. It wasn't the super powerful weapon, in fact it was a regular sword in all ways but one. It revealed the absolute truth about things around it. And it killed the big bad guy, because he was already dead. The "lie" was his undead status. He was a ghost, a shadow, an echo of a being long dead. And having that revealed to him at the climax of the story is what undid him. I thought that was an interesting take on the "magic weapon to save the day" trope.
Hey! Someone else who read the Sword of Shannara! That makes me happy.

...for my money, how they use the Sword to defeat the Shadowen is more cool.

Hmm...what else is there...

Townsaver from the Book of Swords was always really cool to me. It's a weapon meant specifically to protect other people. And it screams and smokes at the tip as it does so. Kick-ass. Although if I had to pick one of the twelve swords to keep, specifically, it'd be Wayfinder. Which leads you to...whatever your heart desires.

Do Vergil's summoned swords count? 'cause I fucking LOVED those. That was my favorite thing about playing Devil May Cry 3.

Ike's Ragnell from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was pretty cool looking. And very good at sword-ing. Can't beat that.

OOH! I always really liked those Sword-Staff weapons that Zidane uses sometimes! Does anyone else remember that? Cao Pi uses something similar to that in Dynasty Warriors 5.

...and now I'm rambling. I'll stop now.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
The Spread Gun from Contra. It was one of the highlights of my childhood. When you got it, you would see the end of the level while still carrying it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
The first one the popped up for me just now was the Auger from Resistance: Fall of Man. A gun that shoots energy projectiles that can tunnel through any surface, regardless of what it's made of, rendering cover and even entire buildings useless. The gun can also create large energy shields to block enemy gunfire. Used together, you can fire on enemies while guarded by an energy barrier that only you can shoot through, unless the enemy also has an Auger.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Of course it's the lightsaber.
I also like the time-freeze grenades from a certain PKD story, I forget the name right now.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Barbas said:
OT: Probably the bio rifle from the Unreal Tournament series. It's a gun that uses canisters of volatile mineral waste as ammunition. It fires these in arcing green blobs that stick to walls and cause extreme health loss on impact with organic life. A fully "charged" shot that empties a larger portion of the ammunition canister is universally fatal. Clean waste recycling and fun for the whole family!
I always liked the shock rifle better, it's secondary fire was a ball of plasma, primary a horrendously fast bolt. With good aim you could hit the plasma ball with a bolt and cause a terrific explosion, that did a lot of damage in a sizable area. Worse still if you were quick you could use a shock rifle to frag someone else with the same weapon by hitting their plasma ball with a bolt. That's adding insult to injury right there.

Honorable mentions to the flack cannon for being a shotgun and grenade launcher at the same time as was already mentioned. Also the 8 shot rocket launcher, which if you kept your cross-hairs on a target it'd lock on and the rockets would home on the unlucky target.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
000Ronald said:
Happyninja42 said:
The Sword of Shannara
Hey! Someone else who read the Sword of Shannara! That makes me happy.

...for my money, how they use the Sword to defeat the Shadowen is more cool.
I don't recall that. I read up through....the Druid of Shannara I think? I can't recall. Hell I don't even remember them using the Sword again in that series. I remember the Wishsong becoming the more dominant thing in the storyline. Which was pretty damn cool, and would've been listed in this thread if it was..you know, actually a weapon and not a power. xD

Thinking of another weapon, The Jarlhammers from Werewolf: Apocalypse. A set of super badass fetish hammers from the Get of Fenris. The one I remember specifically, gave you a bonus to armor penetration when attacking someone with the hammer. But the coolest part, when you killed a foe with it, a thunderclap would be set off. That fact alone, fueled a scene that fueled an entire campaign for some players of mine. It was the single seed of awesomeness that birthed an entire story. Damn I love that hammer.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Of course it's the lightsaber.
I also like the time-freeze grenades from a certain PKD story, I forget the name right now.
Timesplitters? ;)

OP: The Doom 3 BFG, Rocket Launcher, and Plasma Gun. Although the plasma gun wasn't all that great when you compare it with the Minigun which was also quite awesome but you couldn't find much ammo for the Minigun and the PG just... Had more style.

Also, SS3: BFE's Minigun. It's SOOO satisfying.

The Master Sword from guess what. Because it's the perfect longsword. And the longsword is the perfect melee weapon. You could also say Kyle Katarn's lightsaber. Its design is also the best I've seen for a lightsaber.

And finally, the greatest weapon of all...

The SAVE/LOAD feature. Stay determined. (No, I haven't finished Undertale yet so keep your spoilers to yourself. XD)

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Spinfusor! From the Tribes series. Fires quick, spinning explosive discs that could be curved according to the direction you were moving. Not especially deadly, but just really cool.

ravenlordhun

Jun 27, 2012
Barbas said:
The alternate-fire function on the flak rifle says hell-ooooo! ;)
How about the regular fire-mode of the Razor launcher (or whatever it was called)? That thing made missed shots a true danger... with that said, it also did some really awesome work in tight, twisting corridors. Those with straight walls, that is.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Barbas said:
ravenlordhun said:
Barbas said:
OT: Probably the bio rifle from the Unreal Tournament series. It's a gun that uses canisters of volatile mineral waste as ammunition. It fires these in arcing green blobs that stick to walls and cause extreme health loss on impact with organic life. A fully "charged" shot that empties a larger portion of the ammunition canister is universally fatal. Clean waste recycling and fun for the whole family!
Ohhh, trip down the memory lane! I loved the stuff. I kinda wound up killing myself about as many times as I got frags, though.
The alternate-fire function on the flak rifle says hell-ooooo! ;)
Yea, the flak gun is one of my favorites.

I'll also need to add the Clone Trooper DC-15 rifle. At full power the thing can hit people from 6 miles off if I remember reading correctly.

The gravity hammer in Halo 3 also brings back some good memories. Getting a kill with that thing gave a very nice feel to it.

Dual shotguns from Timesplitters 2. My god, if you managed to time the reload properly you'd just be able to shoot constantly. Not technically fictional, but still some of my favorite in gaming.

From Timesplitters: Future Perfect, I gotta give the K-SMG a nod. It's a submachine gun that you can attach a rocket to. Honorable mention to the dual flare guns.

While I haven't played it yet, I need to give major props to the hook gun in Just Cause 3.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I have always had a soft spot for the Gunblades from Final Fantasy VIII:

I just think that they look so cool.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Suzumebachi from Bleach. (Yeah, I still like Bleach. Sue me.) Two blows to the same spot on someone's body, and they die almost instantly. Naturally, the only thing better than a two-hit kill is a one-shot kill, so in its final form it becomes a gigantic missile launcher. Of course, on several occasions neither of them quite work because PLOT, but the idea alone on paper has always struck me as rather clever.

PilgrimScott_III

Sep 28, 2011
sageoftruth said:
The first one the popped up for me just now was the Auger from Resistance: Fall of Man. A gun that shoots energy projectiles that can tunnel through any surface, regardless of what it's made of, rendering cover and even entire buildings useless. The gun can also create large energy shields to block enemy gunfire. Used together, you can fire on enemies while guarded by an energy barrier that only you can shoot through, unless the enemy also has an Auger.
Yeah, the Auger was really cool. Another one from Resistance that I loved was the Revolver. Seriously, it's a pistol that shoots high-caliber bullets... that you can REMOTE DETONATE. If that isn't one of the coolest ideas for a handgun ever, I don't know what is. And it does such an awesome amount of damage that you just feel like a complete badass using it.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Out of my recent crushes, it has to be the Last Prism from Terraria. The last weapon you get in the game and it's completely overpowered. Man, just imagine weilding such a thing.

Out of my long lasting firearm harem I'd pick the Guass rifles and railguns, since they function simmilarly.

As a result, it's a tie between Guass rifle from New Vegas, Tau Cannon from half life, Railgun from Quake and Machina from TF2:

I know that you are used by scrubs, I still love you

Now, time for something more exotic. The Dominator from Psycho-Pass. It's the perfect weapon. It's lite weight, compact and has three mods of fire. Stun, Knockout and Liquidation.

Liquidation (mild NSFW)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
PilgrimScott_III said:
sageoftruth said:
Yeah, the Auger was really cool. Another one from Resistance that I loved was the Revolver. Seriously, it's a pistol that shoots high-caliber bullets... that you can REMOTE DETONATE. If that isn't one of the coolest ideas for a handgun ever, I don't know what is. And it does such an awesome amount of damage that you just feel like a complete badass using it.
Yeah, it was pretty cool. The only problem was that I rarely saw the need to use it. Revolver shots were pretty powerful, so most of the time, the enemy was dead before I got to detonate the bullet. Still, in retrospect, I could do stuff like shoot it at the floor between enemies and blow them both up. I don't think I took full advantage of that weapon.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The Fallout 4 Iteration of the Railway Rifle. It's so much stronger than the Fallout 3 version. I use it has a powerful, long range sniper. Also, as rare as the double kills are with this gun, when they happen, they're spectacular. There's nothing quite like nailing an enemy's head/limb to his friend: http://i.imgur.com/cYmV2Js.gifv

The Energy Sword from the Halo series is easily one of my favourites. Bonus points to the Halo 2 variant for having unlimited uses in multiplayer.

The Dubstep Gun from Saints Row 4. Not gonna lie, when I read the name of this gun, I thought I'd hate it. However, the combination of its hilarious effects and its ludicrous power when upgraded, made this my go to gun for that game. Also doesn't hurt that it has infinite ammo.

Edit: I just realized that I was only thinking gaming.
The coolest weapon in fiction for me is Dragnipur from the Malazan Book of the Fallen. When Anomander Rake wields it, people can hear the sound of a giant wagon being dragged by the thousands of souls chained to it. When someone is killed by the sword, the are transported inside it and are forced to pull the huge wagon for the rest of eternity. There are even more spoilerific things that make the sword even more insane, but that's the gist of it.