Favorite Fighting Style(s)

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Sovvolf said:
Just a quick question, Do you live in the yorkshire area?? Becuase when I was just getting started in MMA I heard a very simlier story from one of the guys in the gym.
Im a Staffordshire lad, I guess there are arse hole rugby players everywhere.

You assessment of the different styles seems quite accurate. If you want to get competent fast boxing is the way to go. My only niggle, from sparring with poeple from a boxing background, is the duck far too often. You can do it in boxing, not when you can throw knees/grapple.

Ive seen Kyokoshin (Probably spelt wrong) on TV, it looks pretty hardcore, plenty of body conditioning I imagine. GSP started with this style so it cant be all bad.

godevit

Nov 21, 2008
cant really say krav maga is really a art, it trains you to disable the threat asap using brutal force on your enemies weak spots... its basically crap

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
godevit said:
cant really say krav maga is really a art, it trains you to disable the threat asap using brutal force on your enemies weak spots... its basically crap
Are you kidding me? If you can win the fight, why not do it in a classy and fast way?

Most of the fights I've fought were usually won in this way. Palm thrust into face, then follow up with your knee and he's down.

I'm not talking, of course, about the coward's moves like attacking eyes or groin.

bjj hero said:
Ive seen Kyokoshin (Probably spelt wrong) on TV, it looks pretty hardcore, plenty of body conditioning I imagine. GSP started with this style so it cant be all bad.
How could've spelled it wrong, if one of the people already mentioned that it's Kyokushin?

I've trained kyokushin for a long time, it's really good in my opinion. Just too big emphasis on hands. I prefer using my legs in combat.

godevit

Nov 21, 2008
there's nothing classy about it... and actually teach you to attack the eyes and groin, well at least in its correct use in the israeli army which emphasis is to neutralize your enemy.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
since I'm a traceur I prefer to escape from fights, but if i had to say one, it would be blitz attack, beer bottle to the back of the head then run away unharmed. If I can't run then maybe an ear clap, strike to the neck, kick to the balls then run, whatever works, I would kick my assailant if I could but my effort would be focused on escaping.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Im quite handy with knife tricks, but i've actually wanted to learn some form of weapon formally. Hand to hand combat doesnt really appeal to my nature (call me cowardly, but thats what I like)

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
Charli said:
Im quite handy with knife tricks, but i've actually wanted to learn some form of weapon formally. Hand to hand combat doesnt really appeal to my nature (call me cowardly, but thats what I like)
Eskrima! It's great fun.

DiamondJack

Jul 11, 2008
There are four basic situation (positions) in a real fight; distance (roughly 2 1/2 to three feet), close (roughly within a half a foot to 2 feet), O range (grappling), and ground fighting.

No single style covers all these bases sufficiently. No single style is the ultimate style. Many styles are similar and learning 2 similar styles is redundant and contrary to your growth as a martial artist(such as Karate and Mui-tai).

Ignore doctrine and find what works for you. If you have long powerful legs an emphasis on kicking may be effective. If your short and squat maybe a more power based grappling style such as Judo or wrestling (you already have a low centre of gravity). But always be prepared to throw away the unessential, never get lost in tradition.

That's if you're looking for street practicality. There is much to be said of practicing a style as a form of artistic expression and integrity as well.

For those who may be wondering, I practice Go-Ju-Ryu and Ju-Jitsu. The former I have heavily altered over the years. I prefer a much looser quicker and more practical "free style" modern karate (without the rigidity of tradition). I've gone as far as incorporating boxing techniques (the stance, hooks, streight, weaving, etc) and amalgamating them with Go-Ju-Ryu.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Favorite real? Krav Maga for effectiveness, Capoeira for style, Sambo for both. Fictional? Mishima-style karate.

Not counting weapon arts.

DiamondJack

Jul 11, 2008
The only "cowardly" fighting is to pick fight with people weaker then you. If you're fighting it should be to defend a friends well being or your own. I can and will knee a man in the balls and have. I will allso kick the knee cap and punch for the throat, I will not play around with when my life pottentialy at stake.

But if you feel a higher code of moral honour then more power to you.

DiamondJack

Jul 11, 2008
I thought Ryu and Ken praticed Shotaken. At least that used to be the official cannon back in the days of Street F
ighter 2.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
I like the fighting where one person is so good at fighting, They can even fight with their eyes closed. Lawl jk

Muay Thai for the win. I never got to learn or try it though, sadly.

MagicShroom

Mar 29, 2009
DiamondJack said:
I thought Ryu and Ken praticed Shotaken. At least that used to be the official cannon back in the days of Street F
ighter 2.
In America it's called shotaken...I think

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
DiamondJack said:
ighter 2.
That was a mistranslation. They practice a toned-down version of Ansatsuken.

Shotokan karate (my style, incidentally) is something entirely different.

Runic

Mar 28, 2009
Taekwondo.
You learn hand-foot fighting. At high ranks you learn to fight with a Bo which is like a long stick which is great since the easier to acquire said weapon in the field the better you are, since I doubt you will be walking around and when in a fight either be carrying a katana on your belt (illegal) or find a katana just anywhere, so a long stick you have a better chance of either finding or be able to carry it around without anyone arresting you. At higher ranks you also learn Hapkido moves.

Now you can defend yourself against anything... except a shotgun, in that case leg it and hope he misses.

Of course I picked it since I'm a master on it. :p Would be kind of stupid if I picked anything else.

Besides that just use your head and be calm and you will be able to win against an opponent at your same level with the same equipment you have, and most of the time better equipped.