Favorite good guy turned bad guy (May contain spoilers guys)

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Hey Escapists, I was inspired to do this topic after seeing Leemaster777's other opposite topic.
Basically the protagonist or side character that was good turns to the dark side or evil.

So what is your favorite good guy turned bad gay?
Also don't forget to contain spoilers!!!

Mine would have to be Darth Vader/ Anakin Skywalker.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Don't forget the spoiler warnings!

Mine would be Geneforge.

You know pretty early that using the canisters does bad things to you, but they drive you into a raving God complex if you use them too much. While it doesn't turn you into a bad guy per se, you sure ACT like one.

And since that's kind of pushing it, I can also mention Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Warden Quincy Sharpe, you terrible terrible person.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Hmm, it's difficult because my general perception of the narrative arc (in the example of Darth Vader) generally goes innocent(good)->bad->redemption(good)

I'm struggling to think of any initially good characters who later become irredeemably bad.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Don't forget the spoiler warnings!

Mine would be Geneforge.

You know pretty early that using the canisters does bad things to you, but they drive you into a raving God complex if you use them too much. While it doesn't turn you into a bad guy per se, you sure ACT like one.

And since that's kind of pushing it, I can also mention Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Warden Quincy Sharpe, you terrible terrible person.
Thanks for the warning!

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Portal 2:
When Wheatley turnes against you, that is such a great part of the game. I loved it.

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
For me it would be Tyr Anasazi of Kodiak Pride, out of Victoria by Barbarossa. After having just recently finished watching Andromeda you can guess why I thought of him immediately.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
EvilPicnic said:
Hmm, it's difficult because my general perception of the narrative arc (in the example of Darth Vader) generally goes innocent(good)->bad->redemption(good)

I'm struggling to think of any initially good characters who later become irredeemably bad.
Arthas Menethil was such a character. And he is also my favourite good-guy-gone-bad character ever.

doggie135

Feb 2, 2011
Silent Hill 2:
Does James count? While he's not exactly the 'bad guy', for the protagonist to have his past revealed even to himself, it was pretty spectacular.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
kortin said:
Arthas Menethil was such a character. And he is also my favourite good-guy-gone-bad character ever.
His fall was so tragic too, even if his 180 degree heel-face-turn was a little unbelievable.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
kortin said:
His fall was so tragic too, even if his 180 degree heel-face-turn was a little unbelievable.
Meh, no petty "ZOMG I R REDEEMDD I C THA RRER UF MAH WEIS", thats all that matters to me. They could have done better with his death, but at least they didn't try to redeem him; that would have fucked stuff up. :\

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Can't think of any earlier games, so I too will vote for Portal 2.

I honestly thought the game was over right before Wheatley suddenly became power hungry.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
EvilPicnic said:

So far Sasuke, but the story ain't over yet.
Nah I reckon Sasuke is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond redemption. He passed the "irredeemably bad" mark around the time he started killing or attempting to kill....... pretty much everyone.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Dickson betrayal was unexpected just because Shulk didn't kill but reason with Egil. While they did give a small hint but it was too vague to mark him as evil. Who would of thought that all this time he manipulated Shulk and using him as a vessal to bring back the real Zanza. I mean what a cold hearted dick that he felt nothing toward Shulk and Dunbam all this time.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Delita from Final Fantasy Tactics.
His betrayal is soo slow you don't know he did it till literally after the credits. He wasn't really evil as much as he became corrupted by the people he hated in the beginning. It was a true joy to watch that character through the game.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
kortin said:
canadamus_prime said:
kortin said:
Meh, no petty "ZOMG I R REDEEMDD I C THA RRER UF MAH WEIS", thats all that matters to me. They could have done better with his death, but at least they didn't try to redeem him; that would have fucked stuff up. :\
Huh? Well sure I guess. I didn't even know he died. So thanks for the spoiler I guess. No, I was talking about how up until he grabbed Frostmourn he believed he was doing what was best for his kingdom, but then as soon as he grabs Frostmourn it's "Ok, I'm evil now!" I found that a little far fetched.