Favorite Healing Item

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Just about any food item in Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town. They're renewable resources, they're tasty and you can make the best ones yourself, meaning it will taste all the better!

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Stimpacks from FO were pretty awesome
BUT the best way to regain health must go to Predator healing technique in AvP games
Nothing can heal wounds better than deep body injections

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i like 'vampiric heals'. anything that lets me heal my self while hurting the other guy :/ sadly a lot of these aren't worth using due to how weak they are

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Lunar Templar said:
i like 'vampiric heals'. anything that lets me heal my self while hurting the other guy :/ sadly a lot of these aren't worth using due to how weak they are
That actually reminds me of my favorite healing method in Fire Emblems 9 & 10: Ike's special attack "Aether".
It's a linked pair of improbably deadly sword-tossing/catching/flipping blows, the first of which somehow restores Ike's HP for the amount he hits. Considering Ike hits as hard and fast as a freight train, this is a rather reliable (if illogical) method of keeping him topped off in the HP department.

Also: Zombie flesh in Minecraft. Doesn't matter if I get food poisoning, that can be countered by consuming even more later.
You wish you were as tough as Steve?, don't you?

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
mjcabooseblu said:
Dfskelleton said:
For nearly any game that has a finite, non-regenerating health system (and therefore, any game that poses an actual challenge-*COUGH COUGH AUGHOD MY THROAT*)
See, this is something I'm sick of. People often like to regurgitate Yahtzee's opinions, but this one often seems to be very misplaced. Games with regenerating health can be challenging, and to say that this one gameplay aspect removes all challenge is completely inaccurate and entirely ridiculous to claim. Games with static health and games with regenerating health just serve different purposes. Static health belongs in games that either use it to create tension (E.G. Half-Life) or RPG games where part of the game is simply inventory management (E.G. Pokemon.) Regenerating health belongs in games where there is a heavy emphasis on smart use of cover (E.G. Gears of War) and games where the point of the regenerating health is just to have you at your peak for the start of each skirmish, to maintain the flow of gameplay (E.G. Halo.)

Pokemon has static health, and Halo has regenerating health. Are you really going to say that Pokemon is more challenging than Halo?

Oh, and my favorite healing item is Absinthe in SOTD. What, you wanted an on-topic post?
As a matter of fact, I did.
However, it seems that my minor jab at a game mechanic that I'm not particularly fond of has warranted unto me a wall of text about health in games.
Look, I wasn't trying to say that "EVERY GAME WITH REGENERATING HEALTH IS EASY AND SHOULD BE PURGED FROM THIS EARTH". Hell, I loved the newest Deus Ex game, as well as Spec Ops: The Line. I was poking fun at regenerating health because my experiences with it have left a bad taste in my mouth. While the aformentioned Deus Ex game features a nicely executed regenerating health system, I've played a lot of games that are heavily centered around the tedious procedure of "get in cover, get out, shoot, get shot, go back in cover for 10 seconds, repeat", and that tedium, to me, has become synonymous with "regenerating health".
There are plenty of games that get static health wrong too, make no mistake, but the games I've played where it's done right far outweigh those that have failed at it. I can't say the same for regenerating health mechanics. I guess what I was trying to say wasn't as much that games with regenerating health pose no challenge, but that I find many games that feature regenerating health fall into a very dull and uninteresting cycle after a certain amount of time. May I also mention I think we've both been on this site long enough to understand that everything on here is heavily opinionated.

Oh, and to respond to your "on topic" portion, yes, the reverse-effect alchoholic beverages in Shadows of the Damned were great.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
any piece of equipment that adds a stackable HoT. those'd be my favorite, next to weapons that heal struck targets.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Gotta go with Bioshock First Aid kits, the classiest of First Aid kits:

And, lest we forget, you can actually rip the hearts out of Splicers to make MORE health kits. Awesome.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
the Crunchy Chick from the fable series

It's the bones that make it crunchy.

Oct 30, 2010
Duke Nukem's drumstick, which upon being shot turned into an entire roast fowl (and healed for more, natch).

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
The Dark Souls Estus Flask, there is just something about a glowing orangle flask that makes me feel better.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Judgement101 said:
The Dark Souls Estus Flask, there is just something about a glowing orangle flask that makes me feel better.
It looks like an infusion of pineapple and mango juice to me, both of which I love.

OT- Full Restores from Pokemon D/P/Pl. It led to me trolling the game logic in Diamond one day. I also decided to have some fun using these in the Battle Frontier...

And of course, the above Estus Flask.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Oliver90909 said:

I always wondered what Gordon was sticking in that hole...
Childhood = spoilt

OT: Healing magic like that in Skyrim. Convenient, non-intrusive and it's shiny!

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Forget the pricey items. My cheap ass likes either sleeping or standing & waiting until the health bar is full.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Street turkey from the Final Fight games. Mmmmmm!

...What? Don't worry, it was hidden behind some garbage cans so the animals couldn't get at it.

Lawbringer

Oct 7, 2009
Akimoto said:
Oliver90909 said:

I always wondered what Gordon was sticking in that hole...
Childhood = spoilt
My pleasure! Mine was ruined the first time that question came up in my head.

...Actually it was ruined the first time someone showed me rule 34 and I saw a side of Genie, Jasmine and the magic lamp I simply wasn't ready to witness...

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Sona's boobs count as items, right? Because I'm pretty sure more people heal from those than her questionable musical abilities (and I say that as someone who mains Sona).

Janus Vesta

Mar 25, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
I loves me some mysterious roasted wall chicken. It feels so good when you accidentally bust down part of the wall and suddenly, free dinner.