Favorite Lord of the Rings scene?

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Just to be different from all the epic moments everyone else is listing I'll pick one that was unintentionally hilarious in a sad stupid sort of way.

It was the 3rd movie when the enemy brought out the huge mutated battle elephants against the human army. As the king sees them he yell to his troops to reform the line. As I was watching him do this I was thinking "Oh good god please don't do what I think you're about to do. Please don't charge directly at the elephants so they can easily squish all your men+horses." But as we all know that's exactly what happened, it was like that episode of Futurama when everyone except Fry became stupid and the mayor of NNY ordered more trains to help deal with the other trains not leaving their train stations and creating train wrecks, except obviously LOTRs wasn't trying to be funny. It was one of those so stupid you can only laugh at it moments, and is one of the first things that come to my mind whenever someone mentions LOTRs.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I'd have to go with the battle at the end of the Fellowship of the Rings particularly the extended edition's added scenes of Boromir and Aragorn cutting through even more Uruk-Hai. There is a ferocity, skill and speed to their fighting that was not captured in the original cut, really showed that they were master swordsmen.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Third film, the part when Gimli blows the horn.
Yogscast Sips/Sjin reference aside, either Boromir's death, when, as Swyftstar sid, he redeems himself. Brilliant scene. Plus, I like Sean Bean.
Or, some scene involving Frodo and Sam. When it is just those two, not the rest.
Sam is always there for Frodo. Always.

Araqiel

Jul 5, 2011
The look on Gollum's face as he is falling to his demise into the fires of Orodruin, the pure joy combined with a sudden realization these are his final seconds in Middle-Earth.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
My favourite bit didn't even get a mention?
<youtube=TusQGmO-5Do>

Legolas being bad-ass. Made the film for me as a kid. :D

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
My favorite Lotr scene. Well that would have to be the death of The Witch King of Angmar.

"No man can kill me"
*Gets stabbed in the leg*.
"I am no man".
"Removes helm, reveals is a women, stabs him in the face, awesome.

Traveling Hero

Jun 3, 2012
Pippin singing "Edge of the Night" to the mad king Denethor, while the human army is charging into a hopeless battle.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
There's just way too fucking many.

This scene left the biggest impression on me though.

It's basically Gandalf preparing Pippin for their inevitable death, but in the most warm and comfortable manner, despite Gandalf always seeming rather annoyed by Pippin.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
My scene is the Bridge Of Kazad Dum, and the bit before it.
They're running through the halls being chased by Goblins, and suddenly there's this massive roar and everyone's all like O____O Then Gandalf is like GTFO! So they all run out onto the bridge while the epic music plays while arrows fly at them, and suddenly CRASH The Balrog bursts through, and they are all like AW SHIT! But then Gandalf turns round like a boss and takes him down, but then he gets dragged down and they all cry.
That scene's iconic yes, but I like when in TTT we see it again from Gandalf's perspective and discover that what we thought was a tragic death scene was actually just the lead in the most insanely baddass duel OF ALL TIME. Gandalf fighting the Balrog with a sword in mid air while the two plummet down an enormous chasm dark chasm.

Technically this is also the only battle between 2 Maiar that isn't two old guys shouting "YAaa!" at each other.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
My favourite bit has already been said (Pippin's rendition of "Edge of the Night") so I'll nominate an Honourable Mention:

GIMLI: Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an elf.
LEGOLAS: What about side by side with a friend?
GIMLI: Aye, I could do that.

I "nawwww" every time.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Man everyone has already said all of mine. : [

Okay, how bout the scene where after releasing the dam waters at Isengard, an ent who's head has caught on fire dives frantically headfirst into the oncoming surge to extinguish himself.

Always made me chuckle.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
"Fell deeds awake! Now for Wrath, now for Ruin, and the Red Dawn! FORTH EORLINGAS!"
That and "Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake, fire and slaughter! Spears shall be shaken! Shields shall be splintered ! A sword day ! A red day ! Ere the sun rises ! Ride now! Ride now ! Ride ! Ride for ruin, and the world?s ending ! Death ! Death ! Deeeaaatthhh!"

Although I am pretty sure only 50 people or so could hear him, and the people in the back, or the people on either side are trying to figure out why everyone is chanting "death!"

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
The scene when Frodo offers Galadriel the Ring of Power...and then Galadriel freaks out!
"In the place of a Dark Lord you would have a Queen! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Mightier than the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me and despair!!!"

When I got the DVD I must have watched that "Declaration" of hers upwards of a hundred times. Man, that was awesome.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
bannanaky said:
when the hobbits return to the shire and fight the ruffian... oh wait. um...
Removing The Scouring of the Shire from the movie was the biggest disappointment for me. They claimed it was "anti-climactic"