Favorite "Minor" Villains

edgecult

May 4, 2011
Saltyk said:
Seed and Culgan from Suikoden 2. They were enemies you regularly fought, but it was hard not to respect them. They only wanted to protect their country. And even fought to do so until the end. Their dying breaths were fighting side by side against you until they could stand to fight no more.

Just for this... you are now my most favorite person on this site.

Anyway moving along. I guess I gotta give my title to the ever determined Terminal Guardian in SMT4 (best one I can think of from anything i've played recently.) Poor guy tries to so hard every time.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
For me it would have to be the King of Twilight himself: Zant.

... right up until he went full retard [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwLTUJqKk0w] at least.

Captcha: confused cosby. Well, they do say the darnedest things...

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Over 20 posts in and these guys haven't been mentioned yet?

I are disappoint. I loved these guys and their wacky antics! X)

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Favorite minor villain eh? Easy.

Introduced as a sparring partner and typical schoolyard bully, his own internal battles rage on as the Sorceress' war escalates. He tries to do what he feels is "right," and due to his naivete he's easily manipulated by a woman he thinks he loves. Capable enough to lead a large army to war, strong enough in combat to be feared, his attitude problems and immaturity are recurring themes, preventing him from realizing his full potential.

Over the course of the game you see him (and his friends) re-evaluating their goals, their purposes, their entire lives as events unravel around them. When he's finally
beaten down and defeated, and the Sorceress is overthrown, he and his friends are seen fishing happily together, apparently redeemed and matured by the experience.

Seifer was one of the few characters in FF8 that actually *acted his age*, had realistic personality flaws, and whose character arc rivaled that of the main character's own. He wasn't a bad guy because he wanted kill everyone or rule every piece of land; he was protecting someone he loved, trying to live up to his romantic dream and his immature/naive notions of chivalry. All in all a really well-put-together minor villain.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
edgecult said:
That poor dude can't catch a break.. he was awesome at the start but by the end the guy was just getting stepped on by everyone... I hope he makes a pop up in the new season. even a cameo to show that the guy's moved on with his life. He deserves it.
I doubt it, he's most likely in prison now.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Most recent example would be Vaaaaaaaas from Far Cry 3.

But my favorite is Sho Minamoto from The World Ends with You

SOH CAH TOA!

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Auron225 said:

Are those really minor villains? They appear in pretty much every episode doing something evil or greedy. The "evil overlords" like Giovanni have a ridiculously small amount of screen time in comparison, and the protags typically don't interact with them, but team rocket are about as "main" as ash, brock and misty.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
I gotta give it up to Marauder Shields from ME3. His struggle was real and his cause noble.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
AuronFtw said:
Auron225 said:

Are those really minor villains? They appear in pretty much every episode doing something evil or greedy. The "evil overlords" like Giovanni have a ridiculously small amount of screen time in comparison, and the protags typically don't interact with them, but team rocket are about as "main" as ash, brock and misty.
They are if Zant & Scarecrow count! True they were always around but they were grunts of the organisation and they never won, like ever. They didn't even know why they had to capture Pikachu, they were just following orders. Even as a kid, I never feared them or feared for Ash & crew on their behalf - they just made me laugh.

I'd say Giovanni and Team Rocket as a whole were the major villains but not Jessie & James. Maybe we just have different definitions of major/minor though.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I really like most of Mortal Kombats Roster Filler Villians like Baraka, Kano, Ermac, Noob, Reptile, Rain, Sheeva who seriously do nothing apart from show up when someone needs an ass to kick.

I can kind of forgive that since its a fighting game, sort of. ish.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Well if Seifer counts as minor...

Okay so he wasn't fooling a single person into thinking he would actually become your eighth party member, not even when he became playable and had his own Overdrive (that would have been quite the twist though if you really could cure his insanity and get him to join you, sort of like Magus in Chrono Trigger). Still very creepy and powerful enemy who is personal in a way that Sin simply can't be.

As I have mentioned before, with the exception of Lulu he carries out personal attacks against every one of your party members... which drives each of them to get 'Talk' commands with him that increase their stats for that battle. When Auron is so angry at you that his strength stat suddenly doubles, you'd better be ready to take a pounding.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
mysecondlife said:
Most recent example would be Vaaaaaaaas from Far Cry 3.

But my favorite is Sho Minamoto from The World Ends with You

SOH CAH TOA!
I fear any man or beast that can weaponize pure MATH to such a frightening level...

Level i flare anyone?

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Pokey in Earthbound aka the original Cartman

Ozzie and Azala in Chrono Trigger

Spike and Dru in Buffy. At least before Spike went max EMO/stalker/tragic hero/comic relief. Dru left him for a good reason.

Saffron in Firefly. I would go to the special hell.

Vincent in Silent Hill 3

Gollum in The Lord of the Rings

Gilgamesh in FF5. I even have a figure of him, and its badass.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Obliviously my namesake(Ultros in case I change my name later)He's so determined to kill you but sucks at it so bad. I kind of feel sorry for the guy cause he really is a lovable loser. Also the fact that he outright states it'll take this amount of time to push a anvil on Celes is hilarious

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Soxafloppin said:
I really like most of Mortal Kombats Roster Filler Villians like Baraka, Kano, Ermac, Noob, Reptile, Rain, Sheeva who seriously do nothing apart from show up when someone needs an ass to kick.

I can kind of forgive that since its a fighting game, sort of. ish.
In MK9, I couldn't help but feel sad when my favorite kombatant, Reptile, turned into a plot pinata. Gotta give him credit for looking cool in the cutscenes.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
I can't deny, it's
[spoiler="This fellow".]
[/spoiler]

(If you're unsure, it's not the individual in tights getting gored.)

I honestly just about lost my mind when I found out you could become one. That was the fastest I had ever hit max level in an MMO.

...and now I made myself sad with nostalgia.