Favorite Mythology based VG monsters?

Ibuki

Jul 23, 2008
Are you a fan of Minotaurs?, write songs about sayters?
Well come on in and discuss your favorite Mythology inspired game monsters.

I myself love seeing dragons come to life as you ride one into combat dowsing
the armies below in a sea of flames,
or battle fericly for my life agienst one.

I'm also an avid fan of golems.

Not sure if this has been a topic before, it didn't come up when I did a search for it so
my apologises if this has been done before.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Good topic. Although this is begging for people to post a bunch of lists.

Ever play the shin megami tensei games? They're stuffed to the brim with mythology based enemies. Even some crazy ass christian ones that drive Americans into frothing rages.

Ibuki

Jul 23, 2008
Oh, geez, It's been ages since I'v touched any of those games.
Don't remeber any monster in paticular but i do recall that they had some really cool monsters.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Ibuki post=9.70827.705082 said:
Oh, geez, It's been ages since I'v touched any of those games.
remeber any monster in paticular but i do recall that they had some really cool monsters.
Check out some of the artist's work here [http://kaneko.yuudachi.net/kaneko/] it's all very legend inspired.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
It's always the dragons, isn't it?

I myself have a liking for Naga, by which I mean lower body of a snake, torso of a woman and multiple arms. We need more Naga in video games.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
I always like fighting anything snakelike, simply because they don't ever just sit there and take punishment. Generally, they're just more fun to fight against. Medusa from God of War (and her thousands of clones...) are great examples of this.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
TheBadass post=9.70827.705285 said:
I always like fighting anything snakelike, simply because they don't ever just sit there and take punishment. Generally, they're just more fun to fight against. Medusa from God of War (and her thousands of clones...) are great examples of this.
As a general rule, the more reptilian they are, the more fun they are to fight.

Every extra appendage (arms, heads, wings) adds to the awesome. Alternatively, the longer and more flexible the neck is, the better.

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
The Minotaurs from God of War are totally awesome. Especially those(horrible picture but you get the idea) that were made of
actual rocks.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Ibuki post=9.70827.705065 said:
Are you a fan of Minotaurs?, write songs about sayters?
Well come on in and discuss your favorite Mythology inspired game monsters.

I myself love seeing dragons come to life as you ride one into combat dowsing
the armies below in a sea of flames,
or battle fericly for my life agienst one.

I'm also an avid fan of golems.

Not sure if this has been a topic before, it didn't come up when I did a search for it so
my apologises if this has been done before.
You must have orgasmed at Lair.

fedpayne

Sep 4, 2008
Anyone looking forward to Ledgendary by any chance? Horrible sounding plot but interesting looking game.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus post=9.70827.705069 said:
Ever play the shin megami tensei games? They're stuffed to the brim with mythology based enemies. Even some crazy ass christian ones that drive Americans into frothing rages.
You should recall that a British church sued Sony for publishing a sci-fi game that portrayed that church right?

Just saying, the USA is the most culturally diverse country in existence and lumping them all into the "fanatic Chirstian" group highlights a damnable ethnocentrism on your part, especially considering that fanatic and psuedo-fanatic Christians exist in every country with sizeable populations that claim to be Christian.

As for the topic, nothing beats slaughtering a bunch of orcs and the occasional troll. And those are mythological creatures, trolls being common to all Germanic pagans (especially the Norse) and orcs as Briton/Anglo-Saxon myth of "ugly, viscious men."

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Well, Final Fantasy summons are usually good for the odd mythological reference... although they tend to take some liberties with them.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
I like Fenrir [http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7182/fenrirdeityml5.jpg] from Loki.
But all Norse campaign monsters in Loki look great, if only because I like the mythology behind it.

khululy

Aug 17, 2008
I like the Castlevania enemies :p most of them have interesting origins ranging from european folk tales, legends, myths and even works like Dante's Divine Comedy.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
I find the lack of Okami references disturbing. Everything from Okami is based on Japanese lore and myth. Favourite baddies would have to be Moshilechku and Kotanechku as a pair, and Ninetails.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Eldritch Warlord post=9.70827.705351 said:
Decoy Doctorpus post=9.70827.705069 said:
You should recall that a British church sued Sony for publishing a sci-fi game that portrayed that church right?

Just saying, the USA is the most culturally diverse country in existence and lumping them all into the "fanatic Chirstian" group highlights a damnable ethnocentrism on your part, especially considering that fanatic and psuedo-fanatic Christians exist in every country with sizeable populations that claim to be Christian.

As for the topic, nothing beats slaughtering a bunch of orcs and the occasional troll. And those are mythological creatures, trolls being common to all Germanic pagans (especially the Norse) and orcs as Briton/Anglo-Saxon myth of "ugly, viscious men."
That was less of a religious issue and more of a "we don't want to be associated with the evil video games that kill the children" thing. That being said though, you are right, we've got just as many crazies over here. We just pay them less attention.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
I enjoy slaughtering the hordes of the undead. With melee weapons. Zombies, Skeletons, the occasional Liche or vampire, maybe a shade or three....Ghouls are problematic. True, necromantic undead, of course. none of these virally/parasitically animated corpses that are infesting mai videogamez.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Well it's hard not to bring up God of War and Okami, but right now I can't think of anything else...

I guess I just forget everything once someone asks me about it.