Favorite new IP of this generation

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
I'm gonna put up minecraft too. a small project that Exploded with the force of a 9x9 cube of TNT and it's still going strong and growing stronger.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
trty00 said:
Deadly Premonition.

Because it is Deadly Premonition and you cannot defeat Deadly Premonition. It is a literally impossibility. It's so good, I don't have to resort to childish things like logic or reasoning! It's just that damn amazing.

So says Mr. Stewart!
Sorry, but I don't think that's fair.
OP asked "Best IP of This Generation", and you're kind of making it hard for the rest of us when you throw out the greatest artistic endeavor in the history of mankind, Deadly Premonition.

Seriously though, make that two votes for Deadly Premonition. It's all kinds of delicious. Like, turkey-cereal-strawberry jelly sandwich delicious.

RootBrewski

Aug 1, 2008
I'm going to have to agree with Darkhollow and go with The Witcher. CDProjekt really just hit it out of the park with that series.

I don't have a lot of time to play games anymore and yet I managed to do multiple 40+ hour playthroughs with the series. I think that speaks for itself.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
alphamalet said:
IMO the Souls IP is probably the best thing to happen to this gen. A deep and challenging action RPG that offers an alternative to all of the dumbed down games this gen that hold the player's hand at every turn.

Dark Souls is amazing.
This. I haven't beaten Demon's Souls yet (don't have a PS3) but what I've played has been fantastic, and Dark Souls has held my attention in an iron-fist since I bought it a year ago.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
DarkhoIlow said:
Witcher is by far my favorite new franchise.

I haven't played an "action 3rd person" RPG with shades of grey choice&consequence system in a very long time. I had to finish the game multiple times to see the different endings based on the decisions throughout the game.

When Witcher 2 did release the jump in terms of fan feedback, graphic quality and pretty much everything else about the game was elevated to AAA status in my eyes. And of course that I got incredibly hyped for it when I was getting the first news of the second title.

Regarding Witcher 3, it may be obvious that it's my most anticipated game of 2013 and I am very hopeful that CDProjekt RED will manage to merge their fantastic storytelling with the open world setting.

I would recommend all RPG lovers to try both games out and especially not skip the first one, because there is a lot of lore and backstory that will make you understand the characters and their convictions in the second game. Reading the translated books wouldn't hurt either.
RootBrewski said:
I'm going to have to agree with Darkhollow and go with The Witcher. CDProjekt really just hit it out of the park with that series.

I don't have a lot of time to play games anymore and yet I managed to do multiple 40+ hour playthroughs with the series. I think that speaks for itself.
On board with both of you here.

I can see some seriously great things to come out of this franchise.

The best thing is we're only just scratching the surface of the world. The Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgard are essentially just Denmark, Norway and Sweden with the Holy Roman Empire to the south. There are many more continents and nations and issues that world can have.

Heck, a Witcher grand strategy game of some type would be amazing. There's more to it than just a great RPG, there's a great WORLD to explore.

Oh, and it's in the hands of what is essentially the most trustworthy and respected publisher-developer.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Ya should know by now I'm a big Borderlands fan. I like it because it's a series unashamedly focused on gameplay. The second game branched out a little bit and had kind of a story going on (and it was even successful in places), but it's still what I'd describe as a fundamentalist series. By that I mean it takes a simple proven mechanic (loot) and then concentrates on it and does it better than any other game. It's also got that local coop slant that I've been a fan of ever since Secret of Mana.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
I'm gonna be a little bit of a black sheep and go with Rock Band. Despite being marketed as a dumb fun party game, it's actually pretty hard and very addicting. Sunk a lot of time into that series. A good pick up of the reigns from Guitar Hero.

Oh, Guitar Hero. Don't worry, it's only dreams now.

Dead Space and Dead Rising are right behind that.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
LaoJim said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Bayonetta, I seriously can't name a flaw the game has (not even when nitpicking either) outside of the fact the PS3 port wasn't great, that's literally it.
Now don't get me wrong, I love Bayonetta, I've been returning to it this past month and am very nearly at 1000GS for it. It's a great game, but not a single flaw the game has, seriously? I would say that it is one of those games which is awesome despite having some very serious flaws.

1. The Camera is terrible and you often have to actively fight it to get it pointing where you want.
2. Invisible walls everywhere. Bayonetta can jump about four times her own height (and she's a tall girl to begin with) and turn into a frikkin bird, but she can't get over a meter high fense.
3. The platforming is problematic, especially as the developers like to play around with perspective a lot
4. The Alfheim portals are hidden in an annoying way. You have to go halfway through a level and then backtrack to find them in places you've already been.
5. On your first playthough the Normal difficulty feels hard, by the time you get to Hard, you've got enough equipment and health gauge that it feels much easier.
6. The bike and rocket sections are pretty bad.
7. Cut-scenes go on way to long.
8. One senses the developers ran out of money so some cut-scenes are just story boards.
9. The plot is a confusing jumbled mess. (With quite a few awesome bits)

But anyway, it's still awesome.
1) I never had an issue with the camera. I don't think it ever went somewhere by itself. I instantly maxed out the sensitivity though.
2) I don't care about invisible walls in a game like Bayonetta. It's obvious where you can and can't fight.
3) I never had an issue with the platforming either.
4) Isn't the point of the Alfheim portals to be kinda hidden and something you have to look for?
5) Normal didn't feel hard for me. You just have to learn to dodge offset with the most simple combos to get through certain enemies and bosses (mainly Jeane).
6) I forgot about the bike section, it was OK at best. I kinda liked the rocket section with the fighting in 2D. Both were really short anyways.
7) I enjoyed the cut-scenes so I didn't mind that they were a bit lengthy.
8) The probably did do the comic like cut-scenes for money reasons but they fit with the game in my opinion.
9) I don't think the plot was nearly as much of a mess and jumbled as people made it out to be, I guess it's kinda Japanese-y to a point to where there always has to be some big mystery (like with Anime and JRPGs) whether it's good or not for the plot. The game wasn't going for top-notch story and writing, I say they succeeded at what they were going for and I loved the humor (I love good cheese).

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Apologies to everyone else on this thread as I go rapidly off-topic again.

Phoenixmgs said:
1) I never had an issue with the camera. I don't think it ever went somewhere by itself. I instantly maxed out the sensitivity though.
There's on particular place (on maybe level 2 or 3) where you have to activate the statues to get witchtime and then run down the steps and hit the monolith thing to make a bridge. Whenever I turn into the panther to run quickly the camera always swings around behind me, so I can't see where I'm going. I seem to remember when you are fighting on top of the cars it can be a problem as well.

Phoenixmgs said:
2) I don't care about invisible walls in a game like Bayonetta. It's obvious where you can and can't fight.
Yeah it's not such a problem when you are fighting, is just that it doesn't encourage exploring. For example there are some sections where you can drop down into the water and there are chests there and there are some sections where the water is off-limits. If you're going to get me to explore for stuff I really want to know at a glance whether I'm going to be allowed to jump over it or not.

Phoenixmgs said:
3) I never had an issue with the platforming either.
It's not that bad but there are some sections (the tower level at the end) where you have the platforms that are constantly falling, where I find it difficult to judge exactly how far she's going to be able to jump.

Phoenixmgs said:
4) Isn't the point of the Alfheim portals to be kinda hidden and something you have to look for?
Looking for stuff in hidden places is fine, it's when you've got half-way through a level and the portal has appeared back at the start for no apparent reason. The most egregious example of this is the portal on the last level where you are climbing up the statue and you have stop and go back down once you reach the shoulders, but if you go a meter further to the neck you get cut-scened to the final boss. It's the sort of thing you're only going to know about with a walk-through or a lot of luck.

Phoenixmgs said:
5) Normal didn't feel hard for me. You just have to learn to dodge offset with the most simple combos to get through certain enemies and bosses (mainly Jeane).
It's very possible that you're just better than me at this sort of game. I struggled with it a lot on the first playthrough. I think my problem was I was spending all my cash on lollipops, which I was then consuming after fights where I had low health and thus not having much left for upgrades. On my second playthrough if I finished a verse with low health I'd just start the next one knowing I'd die quickly and then continue with full health.

Phoenixmgs said:
6) I forgot about the bike section, it was OK at best. I kinda liked the rocket section with the fighting in 2D. Both were really short anyways.
Phoenixmgs said:
9) I don't think the plot was nearly as much of a mess and jumbled as people made it out to be, I guess it's kinda Japanese-y to a point to where there always has to be some big mystery (like with Anime and JRPGs) whether it's good or not for the plot. The game wasn't going for top-notch story and writing, I say they succeeded at what they were going for and I loved the humor (I love good cheese).
Japanese-y is probably the best description for this, I feel like the Japanese tolerate (or even enjoy) ambiguity and obtuseness in their story-telling that is quite maddening for most Westerners (c.f. Final Fantasy XIII)

Phoenixmgs said:
7) I enjoyed the cut-scenes so I didn't mind that they were a bit lengthy.
8) The probably did do the comic like cut-scenes for money reasons but they fit with the game in my opinion.
Again it's a very Japanese-y way of doing it, I feel like Western games are much better at telling a story through gameplay, whereas with Japanese games often make you stop everything for five minutes while they heap on the exposition and even have Bayonetta fight monsters that you should really be fighting. Lots of them were entertaining, it just got a bit much sometimes.

Anyway I'm complaining again, if you didn't notice any of these problems then they weren't problems for you. None of the problems really affected the fighting which was the most important part of the game and as such it was excellent, the design of the monsters and levels was fantastic and the game had it's own sense of (rather pervy) humour. So I agree it's one of the best IP's of the generation (though since we haven't had the sequel yet I haven't really started to think of it as a IP/francise yet).

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Mass Effect, Bioshock and....

Heavy Rain. I loved the story and the great noir influenced setting. Perfect example of the fact that a game doesn't need to include 100hrs+ of gameplay to create a memorable experience.

Of the games I have not played, I'm pretty sure Dishonored and Xenoblade Chronicles would make my list.

Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, it's been a great generation, the best one yet. I got lots of favorites. Infamous is fantastic, Borderlands is even better, and Bioshock is greater still, just based on the first game alone. Dark Souls is excellent, Dragon Age is terrific, and Dishonored, though flawed, has enormous potential.

But anyone who knows me will understand that I must choose Mass Effect as my favorite video game IP. Ever, that is. Never played a series where all 3 games engrossed me so thoroughly, and gave me so much enjoyment in so many different ways. It scratches almost every gaming itch I get, and most of them better than anything else does. Best games evah.

Captcha: uncharted island... I see what you're doing, Captcha, and no, I will not play Uncharted. Leave Indiana Jones alone!

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
LaoJim said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Looking for stuff in hidden places is fine, it's when you've got half-way through a level and the portal has appeared back at the start for no apparent reason. The most egregious example of this is the portal on the last level where you are climbing up the statue and you have stop and go back down once you reach the shoulders, but if you go a meter further to the neck you get cut-scened to the final boss. It's the sort of thing you're only going to know about with a walk-through or a lot of luck.
Yeah, I forgot about those Alfheim portals. I treated them like I do any other collectible and used a guide because I'm not searching for hours trying to find something. The only time I don't use a guide is when there's a way to show all the collectibles on a map like with the Batman Arkham games.

LaoJim said:
Phoenixmgs said:
It's very possible that you're just better than me at this sort of game. I struggled with it a lot on the first playthrough. I think my problem was I was spending all my cash on lollipops, which I was then consuming after fights where I had low health and thus not having much left for upgrades. On my second playthrough if I finished a verse with low health I'd just start the next one knowing I'd die quickly and then continue with full health.
I took some time at the beginning to practice the dodge offsetting because I felt it was going to be something important. Bayonetta was probably the 1st hack and slash I really got into as I never played games like DMC (as the subject matter really didn't interest me) or Ninja Gaiden. I then did the same thing with Dark Souls and trying to get down to riposte but the difference with Dark Souls is that you never had to use it, all you have to do is block and normal attack all game. Bayonetta is harder than Dark Souls because it forces you to use advanced mechanics whereas Dark Souls does not.

LaoJim said:
So I agree it's one of the best IP's of the generation (though since we haven't had the sequel yet I haven't really started to think of it as a IP/francise yet).
IP is just intellectual property, you just need one game to be a new IP, and they don't need to become a franchise.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
ohnoitsabear said:
LaoJim said:
I'd say my favourite game this gen was Red Dead Redemption, but I'm not going to nominate it here because it's one of those games that doesn't really need a sequel as it nailed the whole cowboy experience first time round.
Not exactly. They made a game called Red Dead Revolver for the PS2 and Xbox. The thing is, nobody remembers it because it was kind of mediocre (at least that's my impression having never actually played the game).
It was kind of OK. Nothing much to talk about. It was a pretty linear, standard issue shooter. I remember the bosses also being kind of hard, and a dueling mechanic that didn't quite integrate itself in gameplay and was occassionally forced during certain sections. But it was a superb game to play on the PS2, very good presentation, awesome soundtrack from Ennio Morricone and it had a goofy western spaghetti feel regarding the "levels" and the character design, in sharp contrast with Redemption's sour historical drama take. San Andreas vs. IV if you will, in terms of tone and style.