Favorite Obscure Movie.

rob_d

Jul 20, 2008
I second
Dead Leaves - high paced brilliant over the top anime
Primer - Genius script and it shows that anyone can make an entertaining movie, I think the budget was $7000,- or something like that
Eraser - especially the usage of sound makes this an enjoyable nightmarish trip
Bubba Ho Tep - When the are they going to start film Bubba Nosferatu

Was surprised to actually see Surf nazis must die mentioned here, for a long time I regarded that as one of the worst movies ever. Maybe if I can see it again I can laugh about it.

Weird noone has mentioned Harmony Korine, I think Kids sucks however Gummo is a must see as is Julien Donkey Boy. 2 Of my favourite movies
Also C'est arrivé prés de chez vous (known as man bites dog) its a film about a low budget documentary team following a serial killer and filming his exploits, highly recommended.

And for fun and for the sole reason that you can say that you have watched it : Gayniggers from Outer Space
It even has an IMDB entry

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Hard to judge what is truly obscure. Anyway

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Arkzism

Jan 24, 2008
CalabusDabus said:
A clockwork orange by Stanley Kubrik... Yeah, I know not exactly a mystery to everyone, but it seems like noone I know has seen it.

sir (or ma'am) you have earned my respect, seriously i make sure everyone i know has watched that movie at least once.. its my favorite movie of all time

Arkzism

Jan 24, 2008
... uh most movies i love are obscure.... eraserhead, a clockwork orange, rocky horror show

and honestly ive probably seen most of whats on this forum.. and on top of that i probably own a copy

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
muckinscavitch said:
The Room From Tommy Wiseau

"YOUR TEARING ME APART LISA!"
"HAI DOGGY!"
"oh hai Mark"

such a quoteably horrible movie.

"You're my favourite customer!"

Oh man, that movie makes me cringe just thinking about it.

"YOUA TEARWIN ME APART LISA!"

OP: Umm, Donnie Darko? I know it's hardly obscure, but I know hardly anyone in real life who knows about it. Incidentally it's my equal favourite movie of all time.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I'm not sure it's that obscure, but most people have never heard of Groundhog Day. It's one of my favourite movies of all time, incredibly funny and incredibly clever.

Also, Moon.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Blessed (2008), I'll be very surprised if anyone else here has seen that film.

Addicted Muffin

Nov 6, 2010
Evil dead, Evil dead 2, Army of darkness....you know what...pretty much anything Bruce Campbell made...

oh and also Little shop of horrors and rocky horror picture show

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Figured I'd update my list with a couple of trailers and lists, having gone back to see Yellowbeard and still finding it funny, it's like a mix of Life of Brian (as a pirate) and a carry on film.

It also features Peter Cook, Cheech and Chong, and a cameo appearance by David Bowie, as a shark.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Naeo said:
The Man from Earth. Or, Ikiru or Dreams (both Kurosawa films).
I think I've seen every 'obscure' film listed in this topic (from the terrible 'Maximum Overdrive', to excellent 'Stalker', and the good 'The Host'). But your picks are three of the better ones listed here. 'Ikiru' is one of the best films ever made and while 'Man from Earth' has no budget, is pretty poorly directed and the acting is unremarkable, it was an interesting and thought provoking script (like 'Primer'). 'Dreams' is a little inconsistent but some of the sequences haunt your memory for years. ('Red Beard' is the perfection of Kurosawa's humanist message).

If you liked 'Ikiru' I strongly recommend you watch the Human Condition trilogy, especially 'Human Condition I : No Greater Love' (1959).

cynikles

Jul 10, 2010
Rubber.

Absolutely hilarious movie based upon a psychokinetic, serial killing, rubber tire. It's possibly the most absurd and most fantastic thing I have ever seen.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
JezebelinHell said:
The City of Lost Children [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112682/]
Visually amazing when it came out, Pan's Labyrinth kind of reminded me of it visually, and it has an interesting story as well.
I wasn't so sure about City of Lost Children the first time around, but I've been meaning to watch it again. Now that I'm on break, I guess I don't have much of an excuse XD

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Cemetery Man/Dellamorte Dellamore an Awesome Italian horror/comedy/physiological zombie movie that leaves you laughing but still questioning reality.
And the grim reaper in the movie looks really cool.
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/dd/dd_shot5l.jpg
Or Repo:The Genetic Opera. just for this song.
<youtube=tevg_jT5Sco>

tseroff

Jun 8, 2009
This is one that most nerds have heard of, but few have actually watched. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I'm talking about the Star Wars Christmas Special. So, so bad... writhing in fandom pain... hayden christiansen... AAAGH! -wakes up in cold sweat- just a dream...