Favorite Rap/Hip-hop songs!

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Probably the best production I've ever heard in a hip hop song. Has this futuristic grandiose vibe but manages to stay gritty. And Del's flow is incredible. Possibly my favourite hip hop track ever.

Grand cast of features contributes to its immense vibe and the production gives it thiss sexual tension as well. And it's the best thing Nicki Minaj has ever done. I.e. the only good thing Nicki Minaj has ever done.

One of the most polarising hip hop groups out there. I love them. Their music respects no boundaries and just bursts out in immense clusters of energy and frenzied production. And that chorus is so so catchy.

Those slidy siren things in the background get me every time. And the drums as well. Never heard live drums work so well in a hip hop song. Together with that schizophrenic rapping in the chorus this song is just so heavy, intense and immense.

The production here has some weird wacky shit going on and I love it. Especially with that ghost-y female vocal in the background.

Another slightly controversial one. Tyler's rapping has this primal sound to it and the siren like things in the background just heighten that tension.

These three go hand in hand. I prefer El-P as a producer rather than a rapper and this is why. Immense on ear/headphones, although the rapping in the latter two and the atmosphere in the 3rd are incredible.

This guy's already been said by a few people

Instrumental hip hop/jazz

One of my favourite songs from last year. Dark, drunk production and an immensely catchy chorus.

This is a TNGHT track with Captain Murphy (aka Flying Lotus) rapping above it. I loved the TNGHT song even before this but that rapping gives it this vicious bite.

Before he exploded

Another favourite from last year. A big, pumping beat and 3 different rappers pushing for the spotlight, with Kanye delivering that immortal Spike Lee line.

nas & damian marley

Whole album has this deep sexy vibe and the cover art is gorgeous.

Classic

Vault101 said:
and I havnt even gotten to macklemore and ryan lewis.....when most rappers try and rap about somthing "deep" they often come across as fake and insincere...but this guy gives me chills

yesyesyesyes I can't believe Thrift Shop was his breakout song. Song is annoying as hell, Wings is so much better, more interesting and deeper.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Epic Bear Man said:
Definitely Immortal Technique's "Dance With The Devil":

Shows the beauty that rap can be.
Incredible song that one. I love seeing people's reaction to it. Especially when I get some talk about how it's obscene using the word "******" so often. Talk about not getting it.

I'm usually not much of a fan of rap and hip hop, but here's my shortlist (Including Dance with the Devil):
Actually, anything RATM pretty much.
If I had to pick just one, it'd be grudgingly White Flag Warrior. It's not the best song on there, or even the best Flobots on there, but the collaboration with Tim McIlrath sells it.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008

Basically, everything Mos Def has done. Honourable mentions go to:
The Pharcycle
Cool Calm Pete
Jurassic 5

Aaaaand, although he's only featuring vocalist, he adds significantly to one of my favourite tracks of all time:

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The old school Run DMC well the remix version of one of their songs (I do like a few of their others song like It's Tricky, You been Illin's and Walk This Way)

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I love Eminem, and this is the most powerful rap song song I've heard so far. I wish I could see it live.

This song by 2Pac has my favourite rap chorus.

I really like the story in Meet The Parents by Jay-Z, which I can't see a video for. Not the one I want any way.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
Just to name one. I do hate it when people ask you to list your favourite songs. It'd make a massive list. You'll have to make do with just one.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
AstroSmash said:
ron1n said:
Man, you're like the only person that appreciates One Day as a Lion.
Implying people mostly hate them? :/

I couldn't care who zach teams up with anyhow, guy's a legend in whatever he does.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It'd be nice if people spoilered their videos.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
AnarchistFish said:
Grand cast of features contributes to its immense vibe and the production gives it thiss sexual tension as well. And it's the best thing Nicki Minaj has ever done. I.e. the only good thing Nicki Minaj has ever done.
I think her songs "moment 4 life" and "blazin" are pretty good

she isnt crap...she's just making crap

asap

Aug 10, 2012
Mikewillmadeit and young chop best producers out atm, bang bang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI0gk2KJeho

also been far too many posts without ATCQ been mentioned

burymagnets

Nov 30, 2010
Great Hip-Hop is all about the Specifics

And you have to Think Different

This thread should really be all Nujabes anyway.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
In no particular order.

NWA - Straight Outta Compton

Tupac- Changes

Ice Cube - It Was A Good Day

Public Enemy - Don't Believe The Hype

Warren G - Regulate

Beastie Boys - Intergalactic

Snoop Dogg - Gin And Juice

Dr. Dre - Nuthin' But A G Thang

Ice T - Drama

Slick Rick - Children's Story

Kid Rock - I Am The Bullgod

Run DMC - It's Tricky

Eminem - Stan

Beastie Boys - Paul Revere

Ice T - Power

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Right now, it's Get By by indie rapper Will Brennan.

All of his albums are for free on bandcamp. I heartily recommend them.

Ti0k0

Jun 22, 2011
Cypress Hill of course!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMWBh0B9F0M
Also, Dope DOD and Tech9 are great

Kottonmouth Kings!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qv2sj9Y2ro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HM4Q3NonTg