Favorite Roleplaying game

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
Hmm I get other RPG's I've enjoyed

Dungeon Siege I had fun with as a kid (although replaying it I admit it has a lot of faults)

Dragon's Age is always a classic

Fallouts

Elderscrolls are fun

So many good RPG's LOL

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
I too love kotor2. I just haven't been able to find anything that has such depth to it, most bioware game stories look childish in comparison (I'm looking at you, SWTOR).

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
I too love kotor2. I just haven't been able to find anything that has such depth to it, most bioware game stories look childish in comparison (I'm looking at you, SWTOR).
I know, I hate the MMO, it was ok and had some pretty good moments (the return of HK47 is always a must)

But lets face it, we wanted a single player story (with hopefully HK47)

...anyone have a petition to get them to make KOTOR 3? Seriously

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
I can only list them, as the RPG I like offer something different

FF6
Xenblade
The World Ends With You
SMT: Devil Survivor
Knight's in the Nightmare
Mass Effect 2
TLoZ: Majora's Mask
P.S. Golden Sun series (my first RPG)

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Easy, Vampire the masquerade Bloodlines. There maybe better RPGs out there in terms of gameplay and mechanics but the story and especially the writing and voice acting are beyond compare when it comes to RPGs. It was a shame that actvision got greedy and basically stopped the game from being a financial success.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
jRPG- Final Fantasy IX. Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI give it a good run for its money though.

cRPG- Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. A totally immersive experience, great writing and voice acting make the World of Darkness feel alive, or undead as it may be.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm also going to go with Planescape: Torment. Hands down one of the deepest games in RPG history, rich characters and plot (how many times do you hear both of those things in one sentence about a game?) and great gameplay. It also captured the idea of the Planescape campaign setting absolutely. It was and still is one of my all time, ALL TIME favorite games.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Hmmm...I wonder what it could be. *Looks at avatar* Nope, still no clue...

OK, joking aside: Xenoblade Chronicles. I absolutely loved the game's world, and it is one of only two I can remember (Hyrule being the other) where I wasted as much time as I could in because I simply didn't want to leave it. The beautiful scenery and interesting (albeit often-times standard) locations were the first to wow me as much as they did in a long time, and that was really a surprise considering the limitations of the Wii. The main cast was absolutely fantastic, and even many of the minor characters were memorable. Needless to say, there are very few games that made me care as much about the world and characters as it did. It also had a really interesting story that I kept working through in my mind long after the game was over. On the more gameplay-oriented side of things, I actually did enjoy the combat system and thought it worked very well with the game's overall purpose. That's not to say it is a perfect game, but few others have gripped me as much as this game did and stuck with me as much after it was over.

Outside of JRPGs: I would probably go with either Oblivion or Fallout 3. Both games were absolutely fantastic and accomplished the task of bringing me into their worlds and keeping me engaged for dozens of hours.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
favorites-
Vampire the masquerade- I kinda have the urge to reintall the game and play it again when I think about it

Plancscape torrent- shit gameplay put the writing is very good.

Kotor 2(with the restored content mod)- very easy gameplay and very interesting writing. It has one of the best video game characters ever made; Kreia.

fallout new vegas- I have played over 1000 Hour of new Vegas according to steam.

given that I like many of obsidian's games and I am looking foreword to playing Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer at some point due the good things I heard about it

honorable mentions-
the witcher(first game)- it is a extremely flawed gem but if one can look past it's major flaws then it is a pretty good roleplaying game

dragon age origins- I really liked it places but I just found the gameplay to be very uninteresting. the writing was fairly good but not good enough for me to ignore the gameplay

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Well I have a few.

For the my absolute favorite, it would be Pokemon Black. It is my favorite in the series for just about everything you could think of when liking the game. It has the perfect Pokemon formula down, along with the great Pokemon, an interesting story compared to other Pokemon games, good characters, great music. I love all the Pokemon games, but this is still my favorite.

For the traditional JRPG, it would be Golden Sun/Golden Sun: Lost Age I count them as one big game since that is how they were designed. A great combat system, good puzzles and dungeons, cool characters, amazing music, lots of great content. Can't go wrong with Golden Sun.

I'll also throw in Paper Mario Thousand Year Door. Great characters, funny writing, great locations, a good tone and story, lots of things to do. It built a world that is fun to explore in, the same could be said for the other entries on my post.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
WRPG would be Fallout: New Vegas.
Awesome mix of great storytelling, entertaining characters, enjoyable combat and replayability. While I enjoyed Fallout 3, I thought New Vegas was the better successor to Fallout 2.

JRPG would be SMT: Nocturne.
A great combat system and diverse set of endings influenced by a complex morality guideline really make for a great game.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
It's between Dragon Age: Origins and Fallout: New Vegas. Both games have incredible roleplaying depth. You really feel as though you are the Warden and the Courier while playing these games, as opposed to games where you simply do what the game tells you to do and you have no real agency in what happens.

Murrdox

Nov 20, 2012
1) Planescape: Torment
2) Baldur's Gate 2
3) Fallout 1&2
4) The Witcher 1&2
5) Dragon Age: Origins

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I love Disgaea 4: A promise unforgotten. I love the colourful characters and the anime style, some of the interactions between the characters make me laugh and never fails to put a smile on my face, even if I have had a terrible day.

I also have to mention Pokemon as well, with my favourite games in the series being Soulsilver and Firered/Leafgreen I love the first 251 Pokemon, and it was actually achievable to "catch 'em all".

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Planescape Torment: it had a unique premise that hadn't been seen in gaming (and seldom in other media), and hasn't really been seen since. You are an immortal that has lived countless lives before... been an entirely different person countless times... and now, it is time to bring that to an end.

I think Mr.BrTongue summed up one of the game's central dilemmas best: You did horrible things in the past... how can you avoid doing worse in the future?

And of course, it posed one of the most interesting and most ambitious philosophical questions that fiction has ever asked: What can change the nature of a man?

Not simply change some aspect of one's personality or standing in society... but what can bring about a change so grand, so all-encompassing, that it alters the most fundamental aspects of yourself... what makes you what you are... and what needs to be changed about it.

And it did a lot more than that of course... still has some of the funniest pitch-black humor (even funnier than Portal at some points) I've ever heard outside of a George Carlin routine.

Also had a love of playing with your expectations of a role-playing game.

A close second would be Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords... for some very similar reasons.

Forget Bioware, the folks from Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian are the true masters of storytelling in the gaming industry.

Though I will admit that Telltale is a pretty close second to them... hmm... have to see what they do once they're done with their "adaptation phase", and go back to doing more original work. I love their stuff... but they have yet to come up with a story that truly compares to what the folks from Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian have accomplished over the years.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
As much as the admire the genre, when I think back on my experience with RPGs it's actually quite limited. With that in mind, I'd have to say my favorite JRPG is Mother 3 while my favorite WRPG is Jade Empire. I adore Mother 3 for it's story, character and general charm while Jade Empire has great aesthetics, a fun and fast combat system and is generally quite novel and unique.

Mudokon

Jun 24, 2013
Random order

Fallout 3
Record of lodoss war
Bioshock
Final Fantasy IX and X
Skyrim
Icewind Dale 2
Nox
Dark Cloud
Dark Chronicle
Baldur's Gate 2

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
These three come to my mind-

The World Ends With You
Xenoblade Chronicle (to me it does right when some other jrpg did wrong)
KOTOR