Favorite Side Quests

M3707ik

Sep 13, 2008
I want to know which side quests of an RPG you thought were the best.

ie:
My favorite was th dark Brotherhood questline from oblivion. favorite individual mission uhhhhhhhhhhhhh got to be the one where you murdered the guy in the jail who had to be the biggest jerk
or
The one side quest from fable where you had to get the sword form the stone. that took me forever to figure out.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
I thought the Chocobo sidequest in FFIX was excellent, but I feel I'm in a minority saying that.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
I have always loved the mages guild in Morrowind. That or the Telvani.

Epic, fun and rewarding. Oh, and you got your own damn tower.

MarcusStrout

Sep 20, 2008
Presearing Ascalon, GuildWars, going and getting the drunk guys to give you ale for killing bears. What a piece of shit quest THAT is.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
The Dark Brotherhood 100%.
The Whodunit quest is possibly better than Oblivion's main quest.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The cut HK-47 sidequest in KotOR2 where you go solo the HK factory. Played a restored version of it, had lots of fun :D

Do MMORPG quests count? There's a few I could name from WoW which I really enjoyed.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Meeting up with your teammates after the Floating Continent falls in Final Fantasy VI. Technically, you don't have to find them all. Once you get access to an airship, you can launch your siege on Kefka's Tower anytime you want... But I always thought it was fun to tour the ruined world searching for your friends, and learning about what they've been doing all this time.

Also, the Hades Cup in Kingdom Hearts. 50 rounds of brutal, bone crunching pain, interspersed with battles against Cloud, Squall, Yuffie and some of the game's most powerful bosses... And at the end of it all, you get to fight the Rock Titan. Totally optional, and only for the best of the best.

Dancingman

Aug 15, 2008
That mission in Age of Conan where you have to talk to the unkind old man and then find good insults that people used on him before so that you can humiliate him, the quest was a godsend in a game where there were no quests besides "Kill 50 Nemedians and bring me their amulets, which only 1 in 6 will have"

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Tattaglia post=9.72648.767804 said:
The Dark Brotherhood 100%.
The Whodunit quest is possibly better than Oblivion's main quest.
And what a twist it's got in it!

Firkraag in BG: SOA

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Not an RPG, but in Mercenaries 2 I enjoyed the HVT (high value targets) side missions, that is if they didn't get accidently shot by their own men, blown up by their own tanks, fall off a cliff or blow themselves up. Stupid Mercenaries 2, how is it possible that the AI in the sequel is worse than the AI in the original?

Inside of RPGs, Fable's coin golf (if you can count it as a side quest) was hours of drunken fun (I was drunk, though at one point my hero was too)

And the dark brotherhood in Oblivion (as has been already said by someone else, I found who dunnit one of the best parts of the game)

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Graustein post=9.72648.768098 said:
The Anju & Kafei sidequest in Majora's Mask
Thing is, most of Majora's Mask is side quests, and all of them were fantastic. You can do the temples/ending in about 5 or 6 hours without all of the side quests or collecting the faeries/frogs/et cetera, but where's the fun in that? I loved that game so much. In fact, I think I will go play it again.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
In Baldur's Gate II there was that sidequest where the one chick joins your party and asks you to help take her family's castle back from trolls. It was really fun, and afterward you had your own castle! And also killing the red dragon. So hard but so satisfying.

In Mass Effect there was the mission where you have to find and disarm the nuke. It was so intense, you only had like 12 seconds or something to do it. And then when you get out of the mine you have that sweeet sniper perch on the big hill overlooking the mercenary camp. I had put no points into sniper rifles, so my aim was shit, but it was still a blast.

ObnoxiousTwat

Sep 28, 2008
I know it has been said many times before me, but i would have to go with the Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion.

The quest where you attend the party with the intent on murdering everyone there is what hooked me. I was so fun to kill a few and then convince the old guard that everyone else was out to get him, then watch as he did the work for you.

suck it trebek

Sep 12, 2008
I like the side missions in Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Even though they were small in the game, I liked seeing the affect they had the future of the game world at the end