Favorite Song / Piece of music from a film?

vid20

Feb 12, 2008
Figgis Fiddis said:
Fair enough. I can see your point. However I for one find the sound track to be most pleasant, and frequently listen to alto of the songs from it outside of the context of the movies. Its also present at almost every single party I attend, so I'm going to put this one down to your personal taste; and more specifically, those tracks not fitting it.

sanomaton

Oct 25, 2008
Arrival to Earth from the movie Transformers. I don't remember the composer but man that piece is whoa. So epic! And fits the movie so well, too.

Oct 28, 2008
some of my favourites:
Fightgarr said:
The ending/main theme of Princess Mononoke.
Great orchestral beauty right there.
"The song of ashitaka"...that song makes me tear up a little every time I hear it:)
Also the main theme of Ghost in The Shell 2 (kugutsuuta ura mite chiru, whatever this means, no idea without seeing the kanji)
heads on non-animated stuff:

PuckFuppet said:
...Duel of Fates from the Phantom Menace
Just epic!
Some tracks from the LotR soundtracks ("gollum's song" is not bad( i think its played in the credits of the two towers)
"Idumea" from the Cold mountain Soundtrack; the song itself is not that special, but as part of the scene its great(it marks the sudden change from a little church to the Battle of the Crater, one of the most brutal and pointless battles near the end of the Civil War, I guess you must have seen the movie to understand my incoherent banter;)

Uh, not to forget In Bruges and Yellow Submarine(all of the songs:)

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
When it comes to setting the tone with the movie, probably Mad World from Donnie Darko.

When it comes to standalone music, I'd have to go with that main theme (I think main theme) from usual suspects... You know, the one that is mostly bass and low notes with a pretty varied rhythm, heavy on the cello, I'm guessing, and lots of timpani. That was great.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
The Medic Who Ubered The World said:
"The song of ashitaka"...that song makes me tear up a little every time I hear it:)
Also the main theme of Ghost in The Shell 2 (kugutsuuta ura mite chiru, whatever this means, no idea without seeing the kanji)
heads on non-animated stuff:
Interestingly enough, I too have that on playlist. I translated it to mean "Ballad of Puppets" but that maybe be inaccurate.

Healey

Apr 14, 2008
Almost every song from Sweeney Todd or The Producers. Although I haven't heard it for a while, I remember the Platoon theme being rather stirring. Of course, there's always the Star Wars soundtrack. Also, add Shaun of the Dead to the list simply for the Queen.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
bkd69 said:
All excellent choices above, but at this moment, let's say "Nowhere Fast" from Streets of Fire.
FTW!

I'd have to say that most of the stuff John Williams has done is pretty kickass.

And I really love the part in Blues Brothers where they sing "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" though that is not an original song from the movie.

Otherwise it would be basically the whole Hair soundtrack, most notably "I Got Life".

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
Fightgarr said:
The ending/main theme of Princess Mononoke.
Great orchestral beauty right there.
The Legend of Ashitaka, amazing song, good call.

And from my favorites, The Raiders March from Indiana Jones movies.

oni565

Jan 9, 2009
"I've just seen a face" in Across the universe, and every other song in that movie.

BEATLES FTW!

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
coldfrog said:
When it comes to setting the tone with the movie, probably Mad World from Donnie Darko.
Best use of that song ever - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8

r4ndom

Aug 24, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4qQ66LgM1c

1:45 onwards. Bill Murray + Budweiser Shorts + The Kinks = Amazing. A man that truly hates his life.

And another Wes Anderson/Mark Mothersbaugh choice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPMf8G8Pi5o

Epic. Within the context of the film, it's really quite beautiful.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
I'm partial to: the Star Wars theme, the Indy theme, the Bak to the future theme, and any song from any Monty Python film.

manicfoot

Apr 16, 2008
I love 'Cloud Smiles' from FFVII: Advent Children. Its not the best film in the world, but I find the ending to be particularly spunkworthy.

JBarracudaL

Nov 15, 2008
Death Is The Road to Awe from The Fountain. (by Clint Mansell)

Contempt - Theme de Camille from Camille. ( by Georges Delerus)

Return To The Present from Somewhere In Time. (by John Barry)

Madrak the Red

Sep 6, 2008
Figgis Fiddis said:
Imperial March - A New Hope.

So epic.
Time for exteme Star Wars geekdom. There is no singular track, or song In A new Hope called Imperial march; it is mixed in with other songs.

To be useful, I would have to say Adagio for Strings from Platoon, most of Star Wars, and Indy. Let us not forget the Rage Against the Machine Song from the very end of the Matrix. Its' name escapes me at this moment, but it is awesome beyond belief. Also, the Lord of the Rings. All of it. If I think of others, I shall post them in an edit. But for now, I bid you, good day.