Favorite strategy game and why.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I cannot pick 1, because variety is the spice.

Wargames and 4X games I really like: Master of Orion 2, Armada 2526 Gold, Civilization 4 BTS, UFO:EU, XCOM:EW, Jagged Alliance 2, Age of Wonders Shadow Magic.

FliedLiverAttack

Nov 29, 2013
Hmm that's a tie between
Civilization
Makes hours melt away like butter in an oven in death valley.
and
Age of Empires 2
First game I ever played. Just soo much nostalgia. Messing around in the editor. The games I played with my friends.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Total Annihilation. Used to spend so much time playing C&C and then when this was installed on the PC holy shit. Nukes did was nukes did, huge robots, loads of units huge maps. my 166Mhz would have a heart attack and the game would run slow as fuck after all my patrols were set up and the wrekage blocked any hope of a ground attack. Just everything i wanted from an RTS. Planetary Annihilation feels and looks great. I just dont like the space part. cant get used to it yet.

Dawn of War 2. I played the shit outta Dawn of War 1 but i feel more Dawn of War 2. over 2500 hours according to steam.....FOR THE EMPEROR !!!!

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Well, it depends.

If it's for a single-player, narrative-driven experience, it's either Homeworld or MechCommander 2.

If it's for pure breadth and depth of gameplay, its Sins of a Solar Empire.

If it's for the challenge of a competitive, online multiplayer experience, it's Dota 2.

If it's for a co-op experience, it's either Halo Wars, Sins of a Solar Empire agian, or Starcraft 1 or 2.

So....yeah. Take that as you will.
you can play Starcraft 1 or 2 co-op?

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
I'm going to have to go with Romance of the Three kingdoms XI. A lot of the battles revolve around who can pull of the best strategy and tactics combos it always feels so satisfying when you army of noobs are able to hold off Lu Bu's armies at a chokepoint before going for a counterattack when you're ready.

Oh yeah, another thing I love about it is creating your own characters giving them stats, proficiencies, appearance, date of birth and using a pre set face and character model and playing with them as your generals. It's not the deepest strategy game and it takes a while for a game to get good but I find it a pretty fun gmae and have sunk MANY hours into it. Which can only be rivalled with the first Shogun: Total War game (which comes in a very close second).

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
God, that's a really broad category... I guess my 'favorite' would be either Age of Wonders III or Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
I love console strategy games: Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden Tactics, Disgaea, etc. There's just something fun about knowing that putting an archer (or other ranged unit) on a hill means that they RAIN DEATH UPON MY ENEMIES!...ahem....

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
weirdo8977 said:
you can play Starcraft 1 or 2 co-op?
In a PvE sense, yes. That's what I was alluding to. The idea of working together with a friend to beat some combination of high difficulty AIs. Or, more to the point, playing together in a custom map or game mode.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Naeras said:
I'd say MOBAs (or action-RTSes or whatever you like to call them) still have more in common with the genre it was derived from than it has with fighting games. Setting the obvious points aside (control scheme, resource-based gameplay, game speed), MOBAs also have another really big difference from fighters: fog of war. In a fighting game, you always have complete overview of all the options your opponents have at any given time. MOBAs give you incomplete information on the options your opponents have. As such, much of the mindgames are of a very different nature: in fighters, you need to pick your options based on the information you have managed to collect, such habits of your opponents, the character match-up and the spacing you're at. In a MOBA, a lot of these things are done based on what information you don't have, much like an RTS.

That being said, I do agree that fighters and MOBAs have quite a lot in common: they're based around positional play, timing and mind games, you have a lot of options in terms of character choice and playstyles, knowing individual match-ups is incredibly important, and both genres are notorious for being incredibly tough on beginning players. However, both genres also share these similarities to RTSes. As such, I personally find it more natural to compare MOBAs to RTSes than to fighters.
I'll grant that there are absolutely strategic decisions. In a lane for example, how one prioritizes items or harasses or a dozen other minor alterations to play are all strategic decisions; fighting games rarely include such things. Still, the core play between two individuals is better represented by a fighting game than an RTS. The meta and all other concerns about later team play absolutely are strategic.

AtomChicken

Aug 1, 2014
Hard to say, but mine had to be Age of Empires II and definitely Command and Conquer. Nothing brings pleasure to my little evil soul than crushing Nod troops under the armored might of GDI Titans and Orcas dropping death from above.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I've got a weird relationship with strategy games, and RTS in particular. I used to love them when I was a kid, it was easily my favorite genre, for a long time StarCraft was the only game I played. Then as I grew up I realized how competitive the genre was, which gradually turned me off to it because I really don't like competitive games. I just like to mess around, build some units, fight some battles, maybe do some cool strategic maneuvers, but I've always detested the whole "This game is all about becoming better so that you can win more"-vibe I get from a lot of RTS games.

I guess it's for that reason that I've always had a soft spot for Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War. In the end, it didn't take itself too seriously, it felt like it was aiming towards more of sandbox vibe then trying to be competitive. Like it was saying basically "here's a bunch of really cool alien races waiting to kill each other, now go, have some fun", which has always suited me just fine. I kind of liked the single player campaign sequel too, even though I didn't play it as much.

Lately I've also made friends with StarCraft again. Despite the fact that it's the mother of tournament RTS. Because oh my god that single player campaign! Heart of the Swarm blew me away, Blizzard has always known how to tell a story through a strategy game, utilizing the unique aspects of the genre to tell a story on both a big, faction level, as well as on a more personal, character level. They've also managed to make each mission feel unique and challenging, more so than any other strategy game I've played before it.

Other ones I've enjoyed recently are Civ 5, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Reus. And I sort of feel like I have to mention Commandos 2, I spent so many hours playing that game when I was younger. I kind of wish they'd bring back that genre of isometric strategy/action games, it kind of deserves a rebirth ^^

The Random Critic

Jul 2, 2011
I don't really considered Dota a strategy game, tbh.. I rather call it MOBA (and I despise the term MOBA)

Now with that out of the way for me it's probably Final Fantasy Tactics, the class system, the engine, and the modding capability of said engine makes it one of those game which I will always fall back to if I get nothing I wish to play.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Eclectic Dreck said:
I'll grant that there are absolutely strategic decisions. In a lane for example, how one prioritizes items or harasses or a dozen other minor alterations to play are all strategic decisions; fighting games rarely include such things. Still, the core play between two individuals is better represented by a fighting game than an RTS. The meta and all other concerns about later team play absolutely are strategic.
Laning is but one of the phases of a game, and even that phase is rarely based strictly around one-on-one. Once the laning structures start breaking up and the game becomes more about objectives and map control than controlling your lanes, the game flow tends to get very similar to that of the RTS.