Favorite Tomb Raider game?

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
I've played 1, 2 (only the first level at my mates house, loved it), 4 and Legends.

My favourites would be 1 and 4. Legends was too much James Bond. I will never forget the sheer sense of wonder that the first one installed. Running around in that ice cave in the beginning, and then coming into that green valley and meeting the Tyrannosaurus Rex. What an awesome moment. 4 had mainly an Egyptian setting, and had some wicked crazy platform jumping around a pyramid that I struggled mightily with.

Like others have pointed out, the reason why these are my favourites are the focus on exploration. You would encounter huge areas, and literally no hints as to where you should go. At first it would seem that an area looked insurmountable, but as you studied closer, you could maybe, just maybe reach that ledge and tiptoe to the other side. The games had a wonderful sense of accomplishment because of this, and it's sadly lacking in most games today.

Am planning to pick up Underground and the reboot as well, as I'm eager to get re-accustomed with the series. Uncharted was fun, but I still think the original Tomb Raider games gave a better experience overall.

Question; I've been pondering whether or not to pick up 2 and 3 from PSN. Are they horribly outdated, or still playable?

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
My favourite is the original because it took me well over a year to finish it. It was new, it was fresh, it was innovative...it was everything that it's sequels could never be.

My least favourite is the latest game but it is barely a Tomb Raider game at all.

SKP

Dec 20, 2012
2 is the most memorable for me because it was the first of the series I've played. I was 9 or 10 and never got the gold secret in the first level until years later because the T-Rex...es scared the hell out of me.
3 I found quite beautiful in a blocky kind of way, the locations just seemed very atmospheric.

My favorite is probably The Last Revelation because of all the puzzles and huge levels. Also, all the actual Tomb Raiding.
teqrevisited said:
And those flame-ghosts can go fuck themselves.
That too, though.

Not sure about the newer ones. They're fun I suppose, but I didn't like any of them as much as the original series.
Haven't played the reboot since I don't care about Lara's personality. I liked badass Lara.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I played one of the earlier games on PS3 but I only really remember playing the reboot. I guess that one, but even that wasn't particularly good. It passed the time I guess.

Jusey1

Dec 17, 2013
Well. I love all Tomb Raiders EXCEPT for Angel of Darkness and Tomb Raider (2013)... Angel of Darkness was a 'test' that failed but Tomb Raider (2013) is just a pathetic insult to the series that I don't even know how it became highly accepted and loved... (I strongly hate it so much).

As for my favorite... Either the very first one or the 3rd. Also did kinda like Underworld too... I mean, you used Thor's hammer and that was a blast! XD

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
I played the first one and was meh. Then didn't touch it again until the 2013 one, which I actually liked.