Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I guess in no particular order...

Carnivale
It was dark and funny with a robust world it was built on not too different from our own. Many great characters played by an ensemble cast that really worked with standout performances by Adrienne Barbeau, Clea Duvall, Robert Knepper, Patrick Bauchau, and Toby Huss. And incredible performances from Michael J. Anderson, Amy Madigan, and especially Clancy Brown. It was perfect television and I have never forgiven HBO for canceling it... boycotting it to the point that I didn't watch any of Game of Thrones until I checked out seasons 1 and 2 on DVD from a library (really wasn't impressed anyway, I'll just wait for the rest of the books to drop.)

M*A*S*H
Still the best of the 30 minute comedy "sitcom" television shows ever made. Genius in so many ways and incredible considering its age how well it stands up even today with a few exceptions that are still confined to the first few seasons. The OR sessions are incredible when you consider that 80% of each actor's face is covered and they have to express so much with just their eyes. Example, Hawkeye's gripping a wounded North Korean soldier's hand so he can't drop the spoon on a grenade. Potter asks him how long he can hold onto it and the look in Alda's eyes when he replies, "for the rest of my life..." absolutely incredible. And again, a fantastic ensemble cast.

The Twilight Zone
I love anthology shows, but none really can match the original Twilight Zone. Admittedly some episodes were duds, but that's the beauty of anthology... you just skip over those and you miss out on nothing. Going outside of everyone's "normal" favorite episodes I have a particular love of George Johnson's "A Game of Pool." Jack Klugman and Jonathan Winters are great in this one and I love every second.

There's other shows I really love, but those three are probably at the top of any list I'd make. Babylon 5 is amazing, the first 5 or so seasons of The X Files were incredible (until the overall story arc buried it, it was way better as monster of the week.) Firefly, Twin Peaks, Futurama... really great stuff there too.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Sopranos
Twin Peaks (up to a certain point)
MTV's Downtown (animated series from the late 90's)
The Boys
How It's Made (no I'm not kidding)
Peter Pan no Bouken (this anime version of Peter Pan which is absolutely great)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Anne of Green Gables (anime version)
The Wizard of Oz (anime version)
The Simpsons (season 1 to 5)
Community (first two seasons)
Azumanga Daioh
Prison School

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Texhnolyze
So good. The atmosphere, characterization, world building; everything is brilliant. Never before have I seen such an existentialist clash of free will vs predetermination, hope vs despair and human nature's end struggle in the face of it's own self-inflicted demise. Whoever made this is sheer genius.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
The show is a Japanese cultural icon. I love everything about it. The main narrative thread is the clash between an incompetent democracy and a militaristic dynasty but the personalities and ideas involved are so nuanced, introspective and layered that they give unparalleled weight to the complexities and ever changing intricacies of reality and the passage of time. Just an absolute masterpiece.

The Guyver (reboot + original OVA)
Somewhat guilty pleasure. Everything is really simple but for some reason I really enjoy it. Something about a simple chap in a 'bio-booster armor' fighting people turned into monsters and evil corporations just never gets old for me.

Millennium
The first 2 seasons of this show were fantastic. As a spin-off from the X-Files at the time this was much darker with every episode being more or less stand alone and with only subtle hints of anything supernatural. I loved how most of the criminals in this show were mostly just people in pain that got consumed by the darkness that festered inside them. The protagonist Frank Black(phenomenal role by Lance Henriksen) could intuitively 'feel' their motivation and anger making him an essential element in a special police task force specifically created for a rise of psychotic killings at the end of the millennium.

Game of Thrones
Ok, the final season obviously sucked and many of the storylines were all over the place(personally never liked any of the storylines with the sand snakes) but when it was firing on all cylinders hot damn wasn't this the best thing I've ever seen. The show obviously peaked in the first few seasons and maybe it got too popular for it's own good or maybe it ran out of ideas or whatever; this is still the best dark fantasy ever created for either TV or movie.

Breaking Bad
Just a fantastic character drama with brilliant writing. Every episode was a treat. Personally didn't like the final season though.

Better Call Saul
A BB spin-off that is just as good but centered around the criminal(literally) lawyer Saul Goodman and chronicling his slow descent from upstanding joker who worked his way up from the mail room to law school into his own career to hussler again to (very slowly) the person he would ultimately become in BB. Just again, brilliant writing. I don't think any show ever developed such realistic relationships between characters. The relationship between Jimmy and his brother should be a case study for script writers.

House of Cards season 1 & 2
Everything after season 2 sucked but man, seeing Kevin Spacey elbow grease and manipulate his way to the top is a magnetic display of theatrics and machiavellian subterfuge I couldn't pull myself away from.

Chernobyl
Fantastic show about the reactor explosion and disaster that followed it. It's claustrophobic in both it's historic context and the disaster itself but the show manages to somehow unify the nuclear and bureaucratic horror with outstanding visuals and excellent writing in a nightmare that just doesn't end.

The Leftovers
Just really good drama and compelling characters.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
House of Cards season 1 & 2
Everything after season 2 sucked but man, seeing Kevin Spacey elbow grease and manipulate his way to the top is a magnetic display of theatrics and machiavellian subterfuge I couldn't pull myself away from.
You should see the original, that's something alright.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I wouldn't say the entire show is a favorite, but there is one episode of the first season of Samurai Jack, that I fucking love. Hand's down, some of the most compelling storytelling and drama I've ever seen, much less in a children's cartoon.

Jack vs The Lava Monster. This...this episode, oh my god. SUCH good story to it!! Here's why I love it so, and frequently load up the dvd just for that episode. Also a summary of the plot of the episode for those not familiar with it.

So, it starts with a silent walk of Jack, cold, huddled into his clothing. The landscape is depicted as bleak and desolate, and just gets worse as he travels further. Suddenly, there is the barest hint of a voice on the wind. Not really sure what it was, he shrugs it off and keeps walking. The voice continues, getting stronger and stronger, until it is clearly a voice, beckoning him forward..."cooome.....COOOME." He follows the voice, deep into the heart of the desolation. He sees the ruins of a civilization, now decayed and half-buried. He sees a glint of light at the heart of the realm, and the voice calls him again. "COME TO ME!" He approaches, and finds a dungeon. Not being an idiot, he doesn't go into the dungeon, however he's already stepped into a trap, and the exit is blocked by sheer death, so with no other option, in he goes! He proceeds past a drove of dead warriors, previous victims to the traps he must now overcome. Finally, after much platforming and swinging of sword, he makes it to the heart of the dungeon, and the Boss Monster appears.

Without preamble, the monster attacks him, but Jack strikes him with a skillful swing. The creature cries out in pain, but instead of becoming enraged, he does something...odd. "Yes! At long last! A worthy opponent!" Jack, now skeptical of what is going on, refuses to fight any further. He's not there for this monster's amusement! There is no honor in pointless battle! This...THIS angers the monster. "HONOR?!!? What do THEE know of HONOR?! A millennia has past, and my goal, is FINALLY in my grasp!" *summons big ass mace to smash face* "This battle will continue, to the END!" *cue round 1.5* They fight, and it's glorious, but while the Monster shows he can injure Jack, it's clear that Jack has the upper hand, at least at the moment. Again the Monster falls, but Jack refuses to fight any further, and even says the Monster can slay him if he must, but he will fight no further. He sheathes his blade, and sits down, refusing to be a combatant. The Monster, now sounding grief stricken, says he can't strike him down defenseless, that this battle must be concluded by the Warrior's Code. He BEGS Jack to continue the fight, and Jack asks why. "For Freedom" he says, voice desperate. Jack eyebrows at him, indicating he is listening.

The Monster then tells a story, of who he was Before. Long ago, he was a Hero of a proud nation. His people were happy, and lived in relative comfort. They had sufficient food to thrive, and life was good. Then a shadow came, that blotted out the sun and sky. A very familiar evil to Jack (something he commented on at the beginning of his trek into the wasteland). It's clearly Aku, as shown later when the image of the beast that attacked his kingdom, is indeed, Aku. His people fought, but failed to harm the beast, and they were all slain, but for him. He stood alone against Aku, but unlike Jack, he was unable to pervail, and was struck down. Aku, being the dickbag that he is, didn't kill the Hero, instead he trapped him in an unbreakable crystal, and trapped him in the core of the mountain, to live forever in perpetual darkness and isolation, unable to join his people in Valhalla, the resting place of all warriors.

BUT, instead of going insane after eons of darkness and isolation, this Hero, was boss enough to maintain his sanity, gain control of the crystal imprisoning him, and turning it into a living body that he could manipulate and control. Having gained a small amount of agency again, he does the only thing he can think to do, given his people's beliefs. He has to die, so he can join them. But, he explains to Jack, the only way he can enter Valhalla, is to die in combat, to a worthy opponent. So he made a dungeon, full of traps, to ensure that those who reached him, were the most powerful, and strongest of warriors. The ones with the greatest chance of actually slaying him. And Jack...is the only one, to have survived to the center.

So he stands there, alone, beaten, and tired, SO tired, wanting nothing more than to join his family and people, but prevented from doing so by the dictates of his faith. He then turns to Jack and simply says "My fate is in your hands."

Without a word, Jack draws his weapon, and faces the Monster, now Trapped Hero. "Prepare yourself." And with a voice, of pure relief and anticipation, the Hero says "At laaaast, the gates of Valhalla, OPEN to me!"

Then they go at it, HARD. Drums kick in like a beast, the two warriors clash blades, each giving and taking damage. Jack, with speed and agility, the Hero, with overwhelming strength and reach. The Hero gets a strong hit against Jack, knocking him to the ground. He calls to Jack, voice full of fear and desperation. "Rise warrior, RISE! Honorably must I be defeated, I CANNOT let up!"

Jack, still fully clothed, with only scuffed up hair, clearly hasn't reached his maximum level, as known by anyone who is a fan of the show. "Do not worry." He says, rising and taking up his blade. "I have not BEGUN to fight!" And round 3 begins. More awesome blade work, drums...the drums. The back and forth is just great.

And then, one swing from the Hero, and an opening. In a triple exposure speed cut, they show Jack's blade in an increasing level of closeup, moving towards the left of the screen, and from the left, facing right, a profile of the Hero's monstrous face, now gasping in shock, with a small fleck of blood like rubble, escaping his mouth. He cries out in obvious pain...and it all goes silent. He collapses to his knees, clutching his stomach. "At last." he gasps, eons of relief in his voice. "My freedom....has arrived." He begins to glow from the strike point, he then holds out his arms in defiance and screams to the sky. "ACCURSED MONSTER!! YOUR SPELL, IS BROKEN!!"

And then he goes critical mass, becoming a pillar of light, screaming in what sounds like pain, as his Monster body is destroyed. The scream, reaching a fever pitch, ends with a burst of blinding light, forcing Jack to cover his eyes. The scream transforms from the monstrous voice, to one of a human, a regular human, now screaming in victory and relief. In the place of the Monster, now stands the Hero we saw in the flashback, holding his blade and roaring in triumph.

"At last! My flesh is my own!!" His body, quickly begins to age, in front of Jack's eyes, as the magic that sustained him fades. "The..curse..." a weakened voice, of an elderly man says "is...lifted." He then collapses to the ground, unmoving. Jack rushes over, feeling guilty for what he did. The Hero, now a wizened old man, frail and fading, just smiles at him and says weakly. "Do not grieve my friend. Please, hand me my sword." Jack gives it to him reverently, knowing the importance of a family blade to a Warrior. "Thank you." the old man says, smiling, and then dies. Jack rises to his feet, sheathes his blade, and pays respects to the fallen Hero. Before he can do this for more than a few seconds, a pillar of light descends from top of the cavern, illuminating the Hero. Two Valkyries appear, riding on horses, descending the light as a if it were a bridge. They land, paying no heed to Jack, and gently scoop up the body of the Hero. They remount their steeds, and fly up into the sky. Jack watches, clearly dumbfounded, and the Hero, now a spirit, looks back at Jack, and gives this big grin, before fading into the light in the heavens.

Jack, goes over to the slab of stone, the Hero used to record his history while he was a Monster, so he didn't forget it. And chisels a small image of the Hero, smiling and victorious, and puts the word FREE next to it. Putting a victorious end to the tragic tale etched above it.

He smiles, and walks away. The camera pans up to the sky, and cuts to a stereotypical viking depiction of Valhalla, with a lot of weird beings that look very much like the Norse gods, and you see the Hero, back in the prime of his youth, standing in front of them, smiling. Cue credits.

I mean, holy fuck is that some REALLY good storytelling! I attribute all of the love I have for that episode to the voice actor for the Monster/Hero, Richard McGonagle. He gave that performance his all. SO much emotion and anguish, conveying beautifully, the way that person would feel in a horrible situation like that. Jack was honestly just a side character in that episode. It was ALL about the Viking.
And I loved the setting they created. This one man, trapped and denied his afterlife with his loved ones, all due to the spite of a cruel being, who thought it was funny. And so he has to endure, to overcome, only so he can die in the one way prescribed by his faith, to allow him entry. Which is still ultimately out of his hands.

And, regardless of the fact that the cartoon was forced to imply he died due to accelerated aging, he HAD TO DIE IN BATTLE, or else he can't get into Valhalla. So Jack killed that person, that actual human. Which up to that point, in the original run of the show, they avoided by it always being robots. But he killed that guy, there is no other way to actually read that, based on the conclusion. It was just, so powerful. I fucking love it. So yeah, great episode. Really damn solid storytelling and acting, highly recommend everyone watch it if you haven't, and watch it again if you have.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
@happyninja42

It was this episode and Mad Jack that are my favorites of season 1.
I don't remember that one. I honestly don't remember any of that show really, other than the Lava Monster episode. Which is weird, as I enjoyed it a lot, but it just...didn't stick you know? None of the other episodes I saw had me weeping with Awesome Tears like the Lava Monster episode does EVERY time I watch it. Hell I was tearing up writing that synopsis, it hits me so deeply. But looking back, none of the other episodes, had any retention for me. Like when I read where you typed "Mad Jack", my brain thought you meant the Scotsman, and I had to actually google mad jack. And, there's just no memory of that at all. And then I lost interest in it, and stopped watching.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't remember that one. I honestly don't remember any of that show really, other than the Lava Monster episode. Which is weird, as I enjoyed it a lot, but it just...didn't stick you know? None of the other episodes I saw had me weeping with Awesome Tears like the Lava Monster episode does EVERY time I watch it. Hell I was tearing up writing that synopsis, it hits me so deeply. But looking back, none of the other episodes, had any retention for me. Like when I read where you typed "Mad Jack", my brain thought you meant the Scotsman, and I had to actually google mad jack. And, there's just no memory of that at all. And then I lost interest in it, and stopped watching.
I recommend you give the episode in the whole show another go. Gennedy Tarkovsky really knows how to do seem to understand everything without dialogue. Especially when it comes to mood lighting, background details, and atmosphere. Those are usually the best episodes of samurai Jack.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Sopranos and Twin Peaks vie for top spot constantly.
Mad Men in a comfy third spot.
The Office and Arrested Development up to when Carell leaves and AD got cancelled the first time.
The Simpsons used to be great.
Cowboy Bebop is fantastic.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
The show is a Japanese cultural icon. I love everything about it. The main narrative thread is the clash between an incompetent democracy and a militaristic dynasty but the personalities and ideas involved are so nuanced, introspective and layered that they give unparalleled weight to the complexities and ever changing intricacies of reality and the passage of time. Just an absolute masterpiece.
I just wish the animation wasn't bad. I watched it in 2009 and again in 2010. I have an interest in seeing it again one day, but the animation looks extremely stiff/lifeless whenever I look at it, partly because I've been watching almost exclusively western animations the last couple of years, which have much more movement. I barely watch any anime now. Most of the ones I watch anymore are movies I've already seen. With movies, they actually bother animating.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I just wish the animation wasn't bad. I watched it in 2009 and again in 2010. I have an interest in seeing it again one day, but the animation looks extremely stiff/lifeless whenever I look at it, partly because I've been watching almost exclusively western animations the last couple of years, which have much more movement. I barely watch any anime now. Most of the ones I watch anymore are movies I've already seen. With movies, they actually bother animating.
That has always been a problem with anime that aired on TV; especially if it was 80s anime. Most TV anime were either given average or shoe string budgets. The same applies to OVA too. The 90s got better with this a good amount of the time, the problems were still there then and now. That is why if you have sub-par animation, you make damn sure your characters and story are written well, and have a good composed soundtrack. It's why I like Tenchi Universe (the animation is not bad, but is a step down in quality compared to OVA 1 & 2. The movies fixed this issue). It's why Bennett the Sage loves Berserk (1997 adaption) despite its shortcomings.

Hell, there are some anime movies from the 80s/90s that have sub-par or bad animation, so the anime film part industry ain't exactly immune either. I know you weren't insinuating anything, but I felt the need to point it out. Speaking of anime movies, I reccomend Promare. The fiilm won't change your life, but I found it entertaining as all hell. Made by Studio Trigger; big fan of their work.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
From a technical level ofcourse it's old and can't really compete with more dynamic, modern animation. But I think it's also a matter of taste. I love the artisinal quality and the almost painterly aesthetic of the many still frames. It wouldn't necessarily hold up in other animated movies/series but it does here. The visual style is really part of the show's identity which is also where the 'remake' failed. It lost all nuance or gravitas with that garbage, modern anime look. ''They don't make 'em like this anymore'' is certainly true in in LotGH's regard. Also the story remains an exceptional, timeless masterpiece.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
From a technical level ofcourse it's old and can't really compete with more dynamic, modern animation. But I think it's also a matter of taste. I love the artisinal quality and the almost painterly aesthetic of the many still frames. It wouldn't necessarily hold up in other animated movies/series but it does here. The visual style is really part of the show's identity which is also where the 'remake' failed. It lost all nuance or gravitas with that garbage, modern anime look. ''They don't make 'em like this anymore'' is certainly true in in LotGH's regard. Also the story remains an exceptional, timeless masterpiece.
It's not that it's old. That has little to do with how much movement there is in any animation.

Yeah, that garbage modern look is another reason I stopped watching anime.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Band of Brothers
Chernobyl
Fleabag
Parks and Recreation
The Office
Brooklyn 99

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
In alphabetical order:

The Boys
Breaking Bad
Chernobyl
Cowboy Bebop
Futurama
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Mr. Robot
Over the Garden Wall
South Park
The Terror (first season)
True Detective (first season)

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Certainly hope none of your favourite shows are Little Britain or Fawlty Towers, because if so, you're out of luck. :(

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Certainly hope none of your favourite shows are Little Britain or Fawlty Towers, because if so, you're out of luck. :(
Fawlty Towers is still on Stan, and the line they reference is still intact. Mind, Stan is - as far as I know - Australian owned/based so isn’t taking orders from panicky Yank higher ups.