favorite type of melee weapon?

Dedtoo

Aug 28, 2009
Norway
I will have to say a large, fine axe of the two handed variety. Slow and hard to defend with? A little, maybe, but your opponent has to get inside your range to attack you, unless he too has a long weapon. Other equally large, long weapons are a close second, though they're not quite... axes.

I will have to say though, turning it up to 11 by making it a chainaxe makes it just so much better! And yes, my avatar is related to that.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nothing better to say "let's play unfair" than a flaming chainsaw (what? too over the top?)

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
I'm a pretty thin dude, so big ass axes and swords are out of the question. I'd want something pure and simple, nothing decadent. I think a good ol Louisville slugger would do the trick.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
A basket-hilted sword, kukri, katar, falchion, and if I had the strength of an Space Marine, A zweihander
I like swords, sue me for being unoriginal
EDIT also a halberd and war scythe. Polearms definitely deserve more respect.

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
I have two kinds of favorites actually. I am a fan of daggers and knives, just the idea of stabbing and slashing close range is just so fun. I don't think I much like fighting head on, so knifing and stabbing and slashing things when they don't expect it.

Other than that, I like blunt real world improvised weapons, mostly bats and wrenches. They just seem very relatable in use during games because it feels like you could, yourself, be using them. Granted, many times, they aren't quite the best weapons

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Spear, definitely. As someone already said, it is far to underused in movies and games. There is just something about a spear that says "you might be higher on the social ladder, but I'm far better then you" I can't put my finger on why though.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
It would be the Katana for me.

I like the size, weight and the way it almost makes you feel like you're dancing when swinging in and out of techniques.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Well, personally I'm more for slashing blades.

So for me it's gotta be an Infantry Sabre.

More specifically this one.

An M/1854 Infantry Sabre, as used by the Royal Danish Life Guard.

I myself served with them, and on guard duty at Amalienborg we also carry these pieces of historical artefacts (they're actual warloot from the First Schleswig War 1848?1850 with the Prussians).

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I had to think about it for a bit, but the more I read this thread, the more I realized I needed to say it.
Steel. Folding. Chair.
It's designed for sitting, but brandishing one feels so right. As does munching on Slim Jims while doing so.
You don't need to make a throne out of the bodies of your fallen enemies, your weapon IS a throne!

Sep 14, 2009
Summerstorm said:
I am in the cheesy "the larger the sword-the better"-group.

So german Zweihänder for me; A sword which is about the length of the user (mostly a little shorter though).
this. I love that big ass zweihander sized sword, especially if it's as big as whoever I'm controlling.

Most rpg's use a much smaller two handed sword, so in that case I usually just go dual swords rather than one. (hence always going for dual wielding light sabers in kotor 1 and 2)

The sweeter the visual design, usually the better. fantasy weapons seem to always intrigue me more.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011

Now, while few video games have a setting that would include this, the one I like most is just a standard metal baseball bat. Something with some weight but not unwieldy and slow. This is why the machete is a very close second, as it is also nice and beefy; like an axe but with the weight distributed juuuust right. Obviously these are more zombie-oriented weapons, but damn is it satisfying to crack some skulls while knocking them away.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Nice to see so much polearm love on this thread... Because I fucking love polearms! All the polearms! Quarterstaff! Spear! Halbred! Naginata! Sword-Staff! Guirassame! Etc! So On And So Forth! All Of 'Em!

I am also a huge fan of sword and shield style. I think it's vastly underrated. Shields are fucking boss.

I also still really like the Katana, and more than that, the Japanese style of sword duels. It's pretty cool.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Thinking back the game that gave me my love of axes was the Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind where the daedric battle axe did the most damage of any non-artifact. Sure it weighed 90lbs which reduced your ability to carry loot but since you can't carry loot if you're dead it was my weapon of choice.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
A Mace. Something I can swing and is solid enough to block sword swings, you can crush armour and skulls easily. You can add some bladed edges to do extra damage.

In an ideal situation I'd like it to having a demonic skeletal theme to it, and for it to make a screaming noise when I swing it (I'd want that toggle-able though).

Although I must admit I am a fan of Legendary swords and the trusty old Katana.

axillarypuma

Dec 11, 2013
Oh boy this is a good thread, hmmm my favorite melee weapon is and will always be the sword and any variation of it.

But my favorite kind of swords are the zweihander, the katana, and a simple 1 handed sword.

My second favorite would be the warhammer and my third favorite would be a good old baseball bat.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
inu-kun said:
Well, the problem is that cutting!=strength, katanas cut pretty well but are too brittle to be practical on armed opponents, the biggest flaw is that they're made with incredibly shitty ore compared to other cultures, they're not bad weapons on unarmored opponents, but you'd have a better chance to poke a knight in the joints than actually try to cut him with it.
I'll just leave this here...

(most relevant section begins at about 6:06, if the time shift, as usual, screws up.)

...With, of course, the caveat that I don't know if the katana they're using is actually made of authentic alloy, if they're actually being wielded with a similar amount of strength, etc. This is a cable show test, not a lab-quality test, to be sure. Still, interesting.

If I was going to take on an armored metal opponent, to be sure, I'd probably be better off with a mace. Or a pike, if they're mounted.

Or a crossbow. :)

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
I don't know but the melee attack you get in Borderlands when you play as a siren is sweet! Explosions and invisibility? Fire and invisibility? Dazing enemies while you do your thing unnoticed? Hell yeah!