Favorite video game character and why?

Apr 5, 2008
Garret because honour among thieves.
Viconia because...just because. In a relationship with my (chaotic good) Bhaalspawn, her transformation is amazing. She has one of the most interesting stories of any RPG NPC I can name.
Also, Minsc, while on the subject of BG2.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Hmm...
I don't know...
Maybe... Jack...
No, not Captain Jack Sparrow...
Not Jack Skellington either...
And definitely not Jack from ME2, since I never played that game.

The Jack I mean wears a mask...
And turned into a dragon...
Yes, that's right...
You know him...
You love him... (or potentially hate him (or maybe somewhere in between those two))
The one...
The only...
Jack of Blades!

What can I say? I like villains.
Well, most of them.
Plus, I like his mask/red hood/chainmail combination.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
This little guy right here.

Vivi from Final Fantasy IX.

Out of any character in any game I've played, he's probably the one I most relate to. He starts out pretty shy and naive, and is also unsure of himself and his ability to help those in need. He even questions his own existence when he sees other people like him who act as mindless soldiers to a tyrannical ruler.

Over the course of the game though, he grows to be a stronger person. He helps his friends, he
accepts the fact that His life span is limited and takes the opportunity to live life to the fullest. To the point where he makes more black mages like himself to pass on what he has learned over his adventure.

And of course, there's this scene:

Vivi is just awesome. Plain and simple.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
I'm a sucker for future-cops, or pretty much anyone with awesome gadgets. Bonus points if they have a sly or narcissistic attitude. When someone says "favorite", though, Adam Jensen, HK-47, Garrett, Frank West, and Razputin come to mind, I guess.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
I don't see myself encountering a video game character who resonates with me anywhere near as much as Yuna, the protagonist of Final Fantasy X-2, resonates with me. She is a brilliantly written, startlingly sympathetic character who also manages to be thoughtful while never ceasing to be charming and funny. She's far beyond likable or even lovable, sitting firmly in the realm of 'adorable' where few other video game characters can feasibly tread. A huge component of Final Fantasy X-2's resounding success lies in just how much I wanted to see Yuna through to the end, accomplishing every possible feat and completing every optional mission just out of affection for her, because at the end of the day, the miasma of political faction warfare and confusing historical plot points didn't really matter, because Final Fantasy X-2 is about Yuna. It's about Yuna's attempts to forge an identity for herself and consider her own emotions, thoughts, and desires. The tagline on the back of the box couldn't be more accurate. This time, it's personal.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Rex Dark said:
Hmm...
I don't know...
Maybe... Jack...
No, not Captain Jack Sparrow...
Not Jack Skellington either...
And definitely not Jack from ME2, since I never played that game.

The Jack I mean wears a mask...
And turned into a dragon...
Yes, that's right...
You know him...
You love him... (or potentially hate him (or maybe somewhere in between those two))
The one...
The only...
Jack of Blades!

What can I say? I like villains.
Well, most of them.
Plus, I like his mask/red hood/chainmail combination.
Jack of blades is rather amazing his mask is ridiculously cool and ya know he is an ancient cosmic horror always a good way to be and i wish you could have gotten his full armor set

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Lee Everett from the Walking Dead. Regardless of how you play him during the game he is a man defined by his mistakes and his love for Clementine. The end of the world allows him to find personal redemption and his story ends in the perfect way.

Traveling Hero

Jun 3, 2012
PLAYABLE CHARACTER: The Prince of Persia, excluding the multi-coloured scarf version, the 'dark and edgy' Warrior Within version, and the Jake Gyllenhal version.

There we go, that version. Loved his personality, his voice actor really nailed him, IMO. I like how in almost every game, he's both the cause of and the solution to every disaster (Forgotten Sands Xbox version is the only exception, I think?). His dialogue with Farah, and with the Genie from Forgotten Sands Wii version, were great.

NPC: Mordin Solus.

A consequentialist who doesn't just come off like a huge dick. I actually agree with his actions in ME2, though my Paragon Shepard argued with him. Frigging hilarious, from his singing to his suggestions regarding alien romances ("don't ingest").

Wolfeyes555

Jan 30, 2012
Professor Layton from... well.. Professor Layton will always hold a special place in my heart.

The Engineer from Team Fortress 2 is also a favorite. Leonardo from ACII and Brotherhood is another favorite.

Honorable mention: Garrus. I'm growing fond of him but I've only just started Mass Effect.

Rook

Oct 11, 2008
Probably has to be Wanda from SoTC. Mainly for the fact that HE, a lone man armed with no more than a bow, a sword and his horse takes on sixteen coloss(i?). In my books, that's pretty damn awesome. And all for the one person that matters to him...

Otherwise, I adore both Andrew Ryan and the much more recent Vaas.

Mayamellissa

Dec 3, 2011
Aya Brea from Parasite Eve 1 & 2. She's hot. She's a natural blonde haired / blue eyed asian. She has kick ass powers and she saved the world twice while coming out virtually unscathed. (On another note 3rd birthday was a travesty and should be destroyed)

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Defintely Cole from Gears of War. What an absolute badass. Every time he talked I lost my shit laughing.
"You can't stop the train Baby"

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
Dizzy said:
Riku from Kingdom Hearts, not only was he cool, He also helped with the boss fight (first of second with this monster) inside the whale.
This but i like him for more reasons...mainly his whole inner fight with himself is why i like him. Yes hes cool but what makes him my favorite is that throughout the series he is dealing with his own inner turmoil over his choices how to make peace with the darkness within himself.
Axel/Xigbar come in second becomes Axel/Xixbar :D

...that phrase sounds better with only one name lol

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Lt._nefarious said:
My favorite male character (badassery): New Dante! Controversial, I know. I was originally gonna go with Agent 47 but the amount of times New Dante's dialogue made me laugh, or the way it made me feel badass... It had to be New Dante.
Kudos for having the balls to say you like the new Dante! Can't say he's one of my all-time favorites, but he was definitely one of my favorite "new" characters this year. Which is a step up from the old Dante making me think "God I love these games but I wish this asshole would shut. The Hell. Up!"

I'm not even going to bother saying why I like the G-Man and Alyx Vance, because I'm probably not going to say anything you haven't heard a thousand times before.

You know what? A good character doesn't necessarily have to be all pithy one liners and icky emotions. So I'm going to give a nod to the Contra guy.

http://gamerlimit.com/files/2010/01/Story-ContraIII.jpg

Those are missiles! This is something that happens!

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
saintdane05 said:
Hey, look, my childhood!

All of these characters are my favorite.
All of them.
Really Elise from Sonic06........OOhhhhkkaaayyyyy
P.S I love sonic the Hedgehog too

My Favourite Game character hands down is Commander Shepard, he is the definition of a manly action hero. He is very generic but can be really funny and always always AWESOME. (Fangasm)
His dance moves are the best, he generates shit memes, he headbutts Krogans. He saved the universe from Giant Robot Squids three times, and he lives if you picked the red ending like me.

Shepard I love you

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
Benny, Fallout New Vegas. Guy had class, even if he was a backstabbing dirty rat. I would've loved to see his character in other mediums, like in a book or a movie.

Also really liked Cole's sidekick Bekowsky in LA Noire. I don't know why exactly, he just seemed cool.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Hero: Clive Winslet of Wild Arms 3. Because like much of the game he's in, he is a study in subversions of gaming cliche- he uses a massive sniper rifle yet is the most polite and reserved of his team. He is extremely calm and bookish yet capable of passionately calling out someone who uses knowledge for ill. He is a main character in a JRPG with green hair yet is happily married with a daughter. His primary flaw is a tendency to berate himself overly for his own mistakes both past and present, perhaps exemplified in his refusal to become the leader of his team despite being much better suited for the job than their youngest, least experienced and most optimistic member.

Villain: Revolver Ocelot of Metal Gear. Yes, by the fourth game he's revealed to have more sympathetic motivations, but still goes about them in an appropriately ruthless manner and is actually looking forward to the return of human society to something more like the Wild West. He's quite amusing in MGS3 yet also a dangerous enemy who pursues you to the very final scene, arguably a more iconic nemesis than Liquid or possibly even Big Boss, who has been travelling the world fighting for just as long as Snake, if not longer. From his very start in the first game he left me wondering if it would be possible to ever learn to gage a gun's ricochet like that- an extremely dangerous ability without any real supernatural gifts to help him, and that's on top of his interrogation skills. Also makes a very funny 'dark comedy' duo with Psycho Mantis in the Last Days of Foxhound comic.

Hmmm... both pseudo-cowboy characters.

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Luca72 said:
Lt._nefarious said:
My favorite male character (badassery): New Dante! Controversial, I know. I was originally gonna go with Agent 47 but the amount of times New Dante's dialogue made me laugh, or the way it made me feel badass... It had to be New Dante.
Kudos for having the balls to say you like the new Dante! Can't say he's one of my all-time favorites, but he was definitely one of my favorite "new" characters this year. Which is a step up from the old Dante making me think "God I love these games but I wish this asshole would shut. The Hell. Up!"

I'm not even going to bother saying why I like the G-Man and Alyx Vance, because I'm probably not going to say anything you haven't heard a thousand times before.

You know what? A good character doesn't necessarily have to be all pithy one liners and icky emotions. So I'm going to give a nod to the Contra guy.

http://gamerlimit.com/files/2010/01/Story-ContraIII.jpg

Those are missiles! This is something that happens!
Very true, a character can be simple made of pure action and still be engaging. Kind of the reason why i still like mario .

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Cairne Bloodhoof from Warcraft.. a morally upstanding grumpy old man, and a great warrior despite his age

plus hes a giant tauren (minotaur-esque thing) who used tree trunks as a standard.. just all kinds of badass

jwonno

Oct 30, 2011
I'm gonna have to allow myself one good and one evil character.

Good: The Boss (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater)
THE original legendary soldier, everything about this woman oozes with charisma and respect. This woman's mere existence causes wars over ideology on a biblical scale.

Evil: Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
As if killing that character wasn't enough, this guy is remorseless. He considers himself superior to anyone and is willing to destroy, kill and manipulate anything in his way.

Not very original, but then again they are hard to beat.