Favourite Abbreviation

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
As suggested in the title, whats your favourite abbreviation? Ideally we should skip the usual internet ones such as lol and rofl, but if you absolutely have to go with them then go ahead. Game ones are always good.

Mines going to have to be ESN, which stands for Educationally Sub Normal, which I learned off my dad. Its an actual UK goverment abbreviation for places full of dim people. Which is awesome.

EDIT: Posters below are absolutely right, I was going for the word "acronym" and missed. Somehow I managed to hit "abbreviation" instead. In deference to this my favourite abbreviation has got to be "Poon" cos its just an awesome word.

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
Wait, acronym or abbreviation?

This is an acronym: WTF

This is an abbreviation: Blvd.

Well, anyway, my favorite ACRONYM would be: GTFO, simply because it's fun.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I think the correct term is acronym, but whatever.

I've always liked FUBAR, mostly because it sounds like an actual word. I also like the idea of something being so incredibly broken it's not worth caring for any longer.

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
I think the fact that NASA not only named a space-treadmill after Stephen Colbert, but actually made it into an acronym, is amazing.

COLBERT = Combined Operational Load Bearing External Resistance Treadmill

Awesome.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Copper Nanotube?
Lios said:
Well, anyway, my favorite ACRONYM would be: GTFO, simply because it's fun.
That's not an acronym; an acronym should be an actual word. What you are thinking of is an 'Initialism'.

Ygfi

Jan 4, 2009
Isalan said:
Mines going to have to be ESN, which stands for Educationally Sub Normal, which I learned off my dad. Its an actual UK goverment abbreviation for places full of dim people. Which is awesome.
i don't useually use acronyms but this, i have to fit in somewhere.

Siuss

Nov 3, 2008
I honestly like "lol" only when used appropriately. It makes a great ice breaker.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
SNAFU, FUBAR, ASAP and StatRep. The last 2 aren't like the first 2, but they're awesome to shout around: "I need a StatRep on the eastren front ASAP!!!" It makes you sound like a leader.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD?

What would World Wide Wrestling, Woodrow Wilson, Wet Willie, Wesley Willis, Wade Wilson, William Wyler, Wendy Waserstein, Walt Whitman, Willy Wonka, Wim Wender, Wonder Woman, Woody Woodpecker, Wes Walz, and Watson Wyatt Worldwide do?