Favourite and just plain ugly game covers

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
People say never judge a game by a cover (actually it's usually book but shut up). But chances are even if it's for the most fleeting of instances, most of us have. Sometimes is justified, sometimes it's not, but either way thank god for though oh so awesome game covers that we love, ignoring the discs and cartridges within.

So, what are some of your favourite game covers and what are some of your all time worst?

[img/]http://www.vgboxart.com/boxes/PS2/4723-v3.jpg[/img]

Never had the pleasure to the play the game but that guy just got his throat pwned!

[img/]http://www.sirlin.net/storage/articles/ico-jp-cover-1.jpg[/img]

Easily my favourite. Too bad I still can't find the bloody thing.

[img/]http://www.games-review.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/left-4-dead-2.jpg[/img]

Best sequel cover ever!

[img/]http://lostlevel.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/wasteland_box_cover.jpg[/img]

Know little to nothing about this game apart from the fact it's the predecessor to the original Fallout. Cool fucking cover though.

[img/]http://mansiondominator.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/1439.jpg[/img]

This one's just sad. As seen ValvE can do some really nice covers. There's too much title on this cover, not enough game. They're all squashed together into a little box. And really apart from the portal image they really could have chosen better images for this. Gordans face isn't exactly going to draw people in, and they had to show Team Fortress 2's unique art style by plonking down the worst picture they could find of frankly their worst looking class.

[img/]//continuousfire.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/planescape-torment-box.jpg[/img]

I know next to nothing about this game but the cover alone makes me hesitant to want to know.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
Favorite Game Cover: Left 4 Dead , Left 4 Dead 2 , Battlefield Bad Company 1 & 2
Least Favorite Game Cover: Halo 3 , Orange Box

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I always thought something looked a bit off about the Demon Souls cover.

It's not terrible, just the colours look really washed out when printed.
When i first got it i thought it was counterfeit because the printing looked so bad.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
Oktanas said:
there was this kind of topic just few days ago.
And now it's days later. Bring on the new!
That topic was about Good and Bad game covers. This is about personal favorites and ugly game overs. Come on guys, it's like trying to compare Mr. Pibb and Dr. Pepper!

OT:

Favorite: Final Fantasy III [Japanese DS port], Afrika, Ikki Tousen: Xross Impact [special edition box art], Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Dissidia [villain cover]

Ugly: Arkham Asylum, MGS4 and, Halo 3

Dark Sup3rn0va

Jul 14, 2009
SW:TFU - I have to have love for the Star Wars cover.

Oblivion - A horrible horrible cover for such a good game.

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
I like the covers for Dead Space, Prototype, Splinter Cell Double Agent and The Force Unleashed
I hate the covers for Mass Effect 2 (great game, shitty cover) and

I love boobs as much as the next guy. But I would be embarassed for anyone to see that game in my collection.

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
Aylaine said:
The Orange Box would have been better if it was red or blue. Age of Wonders was a bit weird too... xD

I honestly can't think of a cover that truly stood out to me besides HL2 standalone (before the episodes and whatnot.
it would be strange to call it orange box if it was blue

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
How dare you say that the Heavy is TF2s WORST LOOKING CLASS!? FANBOY RAGE!

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
Black and White 2's cover is awesome:

This one isn't neccesarily the worst but so generic it's painful.

unreal713

Aug 18, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:
[img/]//continuousfire.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/planescape-torment-box.jpg[/img]

I know next to nothing about this game but the cover alone makes me hesitant to want to know.
Yep... One hideous cover... Still... one of the best games ever.

Just looking through some of my games... ... ...

Ah! Here's one, can't be bothered to post it though. We Love Katamari PAL version. Kinda crayon kids drawing style. Same for the manual too I think. Just think it's cute.

Also quite like the FF covers with the Minimalist designs.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
ummm no one has brought up the cover from mega man for the NES?
best would maybe be Okami or Banjo-Kazooie, but I don't pay much attention to box art.

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
ShrapnelHound said:
My favorite has to be for Portal (Standalone PC Cover) it is so simple but explains the game.
A guy with Sol badguy as a avatar i'd assume you mention all the amazing guilty gear covers... For shame.

ShrapnelHound

Apr 21, 2010
Legion IV said:
ShrapnelHound said:
My favorite has to be for Portal (Standalone PC Cover) it is so simple but explains the game.
A guy with Sol badguy as a avatar i'd assume you mention all the amazing guilty gear covers... For shame.

Dont get me wrong the GG covers are great same as the BlazBlue.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Crossborder said:
Black and White 2's cover is awesome:
Beautiful cover, awful game. I was looking forward to it for a long time too...

chstens said:
How dare you say that the Heavy is TF2s WORST LOOKING CLASS!? FANBOY RAGE!
Didn't say I hated it. I like the design, I just love the others. And that's certainly not the Heavy on one of his better days, his eyes look so weird and unfocused.

Shoggoth2588 said:
...Favorite: Final Fantasy III [Japanese DS port]...
Final Fantasy nearly always have great covers. A beautiful design on a very simple white background. Never fails.

[img/]http://www.designer-flip-flop.de/images/final-fantasy-x-ps2-cover-front-jp.jpg[/img]