Favourite Black Comedies?

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
In Bruges is certainly one of my favorites. Pulp Fiction and the other funny Tarantino movies are also great. The Coen Brother's funny stuff, like Fargo. An essay of Thomas De Quincy about the art of murder, is incredibly hilarious. AS a matter of fact, most of a book I have that is called "Compilation of Black Comedy" is comedy gold.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Ed130 said:
Four Lions

Never has Terrorism been so funny, or stupid.
Best line from that film?

"Fuck Mini Babybel!"

Gargant said:
For me it's got to be Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror, that man has black comedy down to a fine art.
It's definitely worth seeing, and I can't choose between The Waldo Moment, The National Anthem and 15 Million Merits for my favourite episode... It's generally more of a drama than a comedy to be fair, but there is still a bit of black comedy.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Henkie36 said:
My point? Go see Lord of War.
I agree with your point but I don't think Lord of War much of a black comedy. It was a drama film with a few jokes thrown in. I agree everyone should go see it because it was an amazing and mostly ignored gem.

Strangelove and Fargo are my favorite black comedy films, although I enjoy comedians that use black humor.

Cuacuani

Nov 16, 2009
PreviouslyPwned said:
theparsonski said:
What's Belgium famous for?

Chocolates and child abuse, and they only invented the chocolates to get to the kids.
YOU'RE AN INANIMATE FUCKING OBJECT

On Topic: Four Lions has to be my favourite. Just...wow.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
How has nobody mentioned Shaun of the Dead yet?

It's quirky, slightly disturbing, very self deprecating and the humour is very dark and twisted.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
theparsonski said:
Can be films, books, TV shows, even videogames.

My favourite is In Bruges. It's about two Irish hitmen who are sent by their boss to hide in the Belgian town of Bruges after a job gone wrong. The film is mostly about them trying to get along and enjoy themselves while they're there, which is far harder for one than the other. The performances are amazing - I never knew how much depth Colin Farrell had before watching the film, and Ralph Fiennes as an unpredictable, violent, yet intensely-principled East End mob boss is hilariously sinister. Brendan Gleeson is also amazing, and he made one particular scene in the film possibly my favourite in any movie.
The film is insanely quotable, if hugely offensive. My favourite have to be:

"An Uzi? I'm not from South Central Los fucking Angeles. I didn't come here to shoot twenty black ten year olds in a drive-by. I want a normal gun for a normal person."

"We shall strike a balance between culture and fun."
"Somehow I believe, Ken, that the balance shall tip in the favour of culture, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw opposite... a dwarf."

"They're filming something... They're filming midgets!"

So yeah, it strikes a balance between humour and pathos; there is genuine emotion and drama driving the plot - I absolutely cannot find anything at fault with the film.

Seven Psychopaths, also by Martin McDonagh, is brilliant too - if a very different kind of film. It's still a black comedy, but it is more reminiscent of a Tarantino film instead of the generally grounded-in-reality feel of In Bruges.

So what are your favourite black comedies?

Have to ask , have you see "the guard" because if you like in bruge you should love it. think its done by a lot of the same people and has similar humor to it.

hmm why cant i think of any! in the loop maybe and the thick of it tv show.

Squiddles

Feb 11, 2013
"God Bless America" was a pretty twisted movie, so I loved every unforgiving second of it. Either that movie or "Super", now that movie is just dark as all can be with comedy but then again the director James Gunn also did the movie "Slither" so it was to be expected I suppose. <.<

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
In bruges is incredible. That along with Four Lions are my favourite black comedies. BOth in my top 10 favourite films.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Are you sure you don't mean "Dark" comedy?
Anyways, one of my favorites must be the danish "Adams Apples".

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
theparsonski said:
Can be films, books, TV shows, even videogames.

My favourite is In Bruges. It's about two Irish hitmen who are sent by their boss to hide in the Belgian town of Bruges after a job gone wrong. The film is mostly about them trying to get along and enjoy themselves while they're there, which is far harder for one than the other. The performances are amazing - I never knew how much depth Colin Farrell had before watching the film, and Ralph Fiennes as an unpredictable, violent, yet intensely-principled East End mob boss is hilariously sinister. Brendan Gleeson is also amazing, and he made one particular scene in the film possibly my favourite in any movie.
The film is insanely quotable, if hugely offensive. My favourite have to be:

"An Uzi? I'm not from South Central Los fucking Angeles. I didn't come here to shoot twenty black ten year olds in a drive-by. I want a normal gun for a normal person."

"We shall strike a balance between culture and fun."
"Somehow I believe, Ken, that the balance shall tip in the favour of culture, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw opposite... a dwarf."

"They're filming something... They're filming midgets!"

So yeah, it strikes a balance between humour and pathos; there is genuine emotion and drama driving the plot - I absolutely cannot find anything at fault with the film.

Seven Psychopaths, also by Martin McDonagh, is brilliant too - if a very different kind of film. It's still a black comedy, but it is more reminiscent of a Tarantino film instead of the generally grounded-in-reality feel of In Bruges.

So what are your favourite black comedies?
I love you. I mean! Uh... <.<

Sorry, but In Bruges is my favorite film of all time. It means a lot to see someone share the same love as I do. Even after trying to convince my friends to see it and failing every time.

But yeah. You stole my answer. :p

That said, you forgot to mention this little gem: