Favourite Book

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
I find myself without a good novel to read, so tell me some of your favourite books and i will choose one to read if it is interesting enough.

Some of my favourites are anything by Max Brooks, and the "Dexter" series.

superbleeder12

agamersperspective.com
Oct 13, 2007
I enjoy H.P. Lovecraft's works. He is a pre-eminent writer in the horror genre.

'House of Leaves' by Mark Danielewsky is a crazy, but pretty enjoyable book. A book written in a similar vein is 'As I Lay Dying' by William Faulkner.

Franz Kafka has some fantastic short stories.

And If you're up for reading some non-fiction, 'The Digital Person' by Daniel Solove is a good read.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I have a great deal of fondness for Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" series. Some are better than others (Odd Thomas and Brother Odd, okay- steer clear of Forever Odd and Odd Hours), but they're all entertaining in their own way.

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley is pretty awesome. It's usually mentioned in the same breath as "1984" and "Fahrenheit 451", so you probably have some idea of what to suspect. It expands upon certain themes in ways those novels never did, though, and I'll always admire it for that.

"The Alexandria Link" by Steve Berry has recently entered starting rotation on my bookshelf. It's apparently part of a series, though I wasn't aware of that when I started reading it. It's a political/religious thriller centering around a set of documents from the lost Library of Alexandria, a first century Egyptian library that was thought to contain all the knowledge of the world at the time- including information from the first draft of the Bible that would fundamentally shift the way religion was perceived if it came to light today.

KayOss_92

Feb 13, 2009
"The Children Of Hurin" by JRR Tolkien might just be the best book I have ever read.

TheDustyBanana

Feb 8, 2009
"Maniac Magee" by Jerry Spinelli was the first book I ever truly enjoy and still read it once a year since I was in fifth grade (when I first read it).
I also like "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore. It's so far the only book to make me literally laugh out loud while reading.
And the "Dexter" series is pretty good so far too.

Beacon

Dec 21, 2008
Space Spoons said:
I have a great deal of fondness for Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" series. Some are better than others (Odd Thomas and Brother Odd, okay- steer clear of Forever Odd and Odd Hours), but they're all entertaining in their own way.

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley is pretty awesome. It's usually mentioned in the same breath as "1984" and "Fahrenheit 451", so you probably have some idea of what to suspect. It expands upon certain themes in ways those novels never did, though, and I'll always admire it for that.

"The Alexandria Link" by Steve Berry has recently entered starting rotation on my bookshelf. It's apparently part of a series, though I wasn't aware of that when I started reading it. It's a political/religious thriller centering around a set of documents from the lost Library of Alexandria, a first century Egyptian library that was thought to contain all the knowledge of the world at the time- including information from the first draft of the Bible that would fundamentally shift the way religion was perceived if it came to light today.
My favorite would have to be 1984. Right now I'm reading a Brave New World. Pretty much proving this man's point. XD

I tried reading Atlus Shrugged but...I found it really hard to get past the first couple of chapters...

Areani

Dec 18, 2008
A lot of book-threads lately... Ah, well.

If you like fantasy I really recommend the Inheritance Series: Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr. Best books I've ever read and I can't wait till Book 4 is out.

Garzo

Nov 26, 2008
As far as fiction is concerned I don't think you can go far wrong with Stephen King. 'It' is a personal favourite of mine, but you really can't go too far wrong with him.

If you are up for a bit of non-fiction, Bill Bryson's 'Down Under' and 'Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid' are both awesome. 'Once a Warrior King' by David Donovan is great, personal account of the Viet Nam war. And a refreshingly unbiased one at that.

ward.

Aug 6, 2008
My all time favouite piece of writing would probably get me banned here, but it is a pretty incredible read.

I havn't my favourite book yet, enjoyed Tamora Pierce and David Eddings though.

waggmd

Feb 12, 2009
The Catcher in the Rye is my favourite book I read it every summer. If you want to get into a series of books I reccomend the Foundation trilogy, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy of five, and Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Catcher in the Rye. It's considered a classic and it's actually really good! It's short and not boring like most "classics".

Nikita89

May 24, 2008
Definitely TWILIGHT!
*ducks from flying shoe*

Just kidding. It's crappy x))

Now to the really good books: His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman; The Dark Tower - Stephen King; The Process - Kafka; aaaaand 1984 + Brave New World :p EDIT: Forgot The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind (only the 1. book ^^)

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
AkJay said:
the "Dexter" series.
The first book was brilliant, loved it.

I like pretty much anything by I. Asimov and the Dune novels. Though after the 4th book things went downhill for me...

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I can say that as many great novels as I've read I can say safely, with a straight face that Where the Wild Things Are is my favorite book. Disregarding the fact that its a children's book I love it more than any other book I own. I loved it enough to get Max riding a wild thing tattooed on my forearm. It was the first book I bought for myself when I moved out.

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
My favorites are 1984, Brave New World, and Slaughterhouse Five. 1984 and Brave New World have been mentioned above, and both of them are excellent books. Slaughterhouse Five is about the destructiveness of war, it's sometimes funny, and can have some vulgar moments you wouldn't expect in a classic.

superbleeder12

agamersperspective.com
Oct 13, 2007
darthzew said:
Catcher in the Rye. It's considered a classic and it's actually really good! It's short and not boring like most "classics".
I would beg to differ.I had to read that as part of a project and I didn't really like it. it was really boring. the life and tragedies of a teenage boy. ENTHRALLING