Favourite Books

NordicWarrior

Aug 30, 2009
I love The road by Cormac McCarthy. There was only one negative, and that was some of the dialogue, the atmosphere was amazing.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Revelation Space series - great hard sci fi, also a great read for anyone interested in Mass Effect universe, as the writers of that game were clearly inspired by Alastair Reynold's works.
The Dresden Files series - Jim Butcher's long-running series combining hardboiled detective themes and supernatural/fantasy monsters and concepts. Stay away from the TV show, though. If you have, forget everything about them and read the books theyre 100^10 better than the show ever could be.

"Childhood's End" by Arthur C Clarke. Best Sci Fi book of all time.

"Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman, amazing collection of stories from Feynman's life- ranging from serious to comical to just educational. Really is one of the most interesting men of the 20th century- not to mention just the sheer amount of things he's done in his life.
"What Do You Care What Other People Think?" by Richard Feynman- essentially a second volume complimenting "SYJ,MF!"

"The Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. Book about skeptical and critical thinking, distinguishing between what is valid science and the endless cavalcade of what can be chalked up to pseudoscience and other nonsense and things of the paranormal from folk stories that are just plain false when closely and professionally looked at.

Patzilla

Feb 19, 2011
Definitely the Redwall series.
If I had to pick one I'd pick Mossflower.
Brian Jacques was a genius. RIP.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Probably Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Then Slaughterhouse 5, followed by His Dark Materials, The Selfish Gene... As you can see, I'm psychologically unable to choose a favorite anything.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Most of college I was crazy about Philip K Dick. My favorites were his short story collections, but I also liked Clans of the Alphane Moon a lot, as well as when he went completely nuts and wrote VALIS. I also really dug Mike Nelson's (MST3K) book Mind Over Matters which made me laugh harder than any other book before or since.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
TimeLord said:
lunncal said:
TimeLord said:
The 7 Artemis Fowl books.

Concentrated awesome.
I've only read one of the Artemis Fowl books, but that definitely belongs in my favorites list too. Unfortunately, since being given that one book I have never seen the others on sale anywhere. Also re-reading the one Artemis Fowl book I have annoys me, since it keeps talking about stuff that presumably happened in the earlier books, and then it goes and ends on a cliff-hanger, making me want to find the other books even more.
Which one have you read? The only one I can really think of that ends on a cliff-hanger is the Atlantis Complex.
I've seen them in book stores everywhere. There's plenty on eBay or Amazon etc
The one I read was called The Eternity Code I think, and it definitely ended on a cliffhanger.

Involving Artemis' plan to regain his memories.

Honestly, getting them from Ebay or Amazon never really occured to me, I don't tend to buy things online. I'll certainly look into buying them again though, especially since I have been looking for more books to read for a while now. Those combined with the Hitchhiker's Guide book I was apparently missing would keep me satisfied for a good while.

dosp5

May 14, 2011
One of my favorite book series is called the chronicles of the imaginarium geographica. Basically if the most important fictional english books were combined.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
TimeLord said:

Concentrated awesome.
The first 5 Aremtis Fowl books. 6 was ok, but 7 got a little creepy.

OT: The Wizard of Oz series. Fun books, nonsensical, full of puns.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
lunncal said:
TimeLord said:
lunncal said:
TimeLord said:

Concentrated awesome.
I've only read one of the Artemis Fowl books, but that definitely belongs in my favorites list too. Unfortunately, since being given that one book I have never seen the others on sale anywhere. Also re-reading the one Artemis Fowl book I have annoys me, since it keeps talking about stuff that presumably happened in the earlier books, and then it goes and ends on a cliff-hanger, making me want to find the other books even more.
Which one have you read? The only one I can really think of that ends on a cliff-hanger is the Atlantis Complex.
I've seen them in book stores everywhere. There's plenty on eBay or Amazon etc
The one I read was called The Eternity Code I think, and it definitely ended on a cliffhanger.

Involving Artemis' plan to regain his memories.

Honestly, getting them from Ebay or Amazon never really occured to me, I don't tend to buy things online. I'll certainly look into buying them again though, especially since I have been looking for more books to read for a while now. Those combined with the Hitchhiker's Guide book I was apparently missing would keep me satisfied for a good while.
Ah yes, The Eternity Code does end in a cliffhanger. I forgot :p
The Eternity Clde was the first AF book I read and I was hooked.

Hitisanta

Mar 8, 2011
For me it would be The Hunt for red October.

BUT OF COURSE I ALSO LOVED YAHTZEE`S BOOK MOGWORLD!

Hitisanta

Mar 8, 2011
For me it would be The Hunt for red October.

BUT OF COURSE I ALSO LOVED YAHTZEE`S BOOK MOGWORLD!

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I love a lot of books. BE WARNED. There are quite a few old childhood favourites in here as well, as I have so many fond memories reading them.

FIRST
Everything by Terry Pratchett (Guard books a favourite)
Everything by Neil Gaiman (with perhaps the exception of the Sandman graphic novels; couldn't get into them for some reason.)

THE REST
Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
Persuasion - Jane Austen
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë
The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly
Catherine Called Birdy - Karen Cushman
The Marcus Didius Falco books - Lindsey Davis
The Eyre Affair and sequels - Jasper Fforde
The Big Over Easy and sequels - Jasper Fforde
Mistress of the Art of Death - Ariana Franklin
Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones
Dalemark Quartet - Diana Wynne Jones
Last Chance Saloon - Marian Keyes
The Beekeeper's Apprentice - Laurie R. King
O Jerusalem - Laurie R. King
The Green Mile - Stephen King
Ronja Rövardotter ("Ronia, the Robber's Daughter" in English) - Astrid Lindgren
Bröderna Lejohjärta ("The Brothers Lionheart" in English) - Astrid Lindgren
Sunnanäng ("The Red Bird" in English) - Astrid Lindgren
The Blue Sword & The Hero's Crown - Robin McKinley
Deer Skin - Robin McKinley
Spindle's End - Robin McKinley
Goodnight Mister Tom - Michelle Magorian
A Cuckoo in the Nest - Michelle Magorian
Tomorrow When the War Began - John Marsden
Hatchet - Gary Paulsen
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
On Basilisk Station - David Weber
Tailchaser's Song - Tad Williams

*eyes list* Er, I better quit now before it gets too long. I just added the ones that came first to mind, but I have many more loved books, some by authors already listed!

EDIT: Hitch Hiker's Guide Trilogy (in five parts) - Douglas Adams. How could I have forgotten this one! =O

Scrubiii

Apr 19, 2011
Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
Mistborn trilogy - Brandon Sanderson
Elantris - Brandon Sanderson
Night Angel Trilogy - Brent Weeks
Trilogy of five - Douglas Adams
Ender series - Orson Scott Card
Bartimaeus series - Jonathan Stroud (The plot is not as important in here as the style and wit with which it is carried out)
Chaos Walking series - Patrick Ness
There are probably more but none that come to mind right now.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Well, I love The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. My avatar is artwork of the main character.

I also love The Codex Alera series by the same author.
Harry Potter, but that's obvious.

I also like the Leandros Brothers series by Rob Thurman. Though I wish she would come up with a better name for the series. Always makes me think of Mario Brothers.

Oh, and any Star Wars book written by Timothy Zahn. He's a freaking GOD!

duowolf

Mar 26, 2011
Lets see anything written by Raymound Feist, the Harry Potter novels, almost every Dean Koontz novel, most stuff written by Tanya Huff, Out For Blood by John Peyton Cooke, The Ring series by Koji Suzuki and the Joe Ledger series by Jonathan Maberry.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
Darren Shan, all his books my fave, Skullduggery Pleasant is pretty good too, as is Artemis Fowl

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I really like books by standups like i drink for a reason- david cross , the bedwetter - sarah silverman , zombie spaceship werewolf- patton oswalt, and mr. Funnypants michael showalter. I also like 1984, the hitchikers guide to the gapaxy books and mogworld

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Weaveworld by Clive Barker and pretty much anything Poe or Lovecraft have done. I'm just a stickler for the twisted stuff, if anyone knows someone similar to their style (nightmarish creatures, strange new worlds, horror/fantasy mixes), please let me know.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Rhymenoceros said:
I like both those, although my favorite Fantasy series is (forgive me) the Inheritance Cycle. And I was overjoyed to hear that the finale is coming out in a few months :D
I love the Inheritance Cycle as well. I'm very excited about the finale myself. However, my favorite is by far the "Sword of Truth" Series by Terry Goodkind. If you haven't read it, I strongly suggest it. I have yet to read a series that even came close to being as good as SoT(IMHO).