Favourite Borderlands 2 weapon manufacturer by weapon type

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Simple really; which Borderlands 2 manufacturer is your favourite for each weapon type? I'll start:

Pistols: Vladof - Sure they're not the most powerful or the most accurate, but the high fire rate, and usually higher damage than other Vladof weapons means Vladof pistols have a ridiculously high DPS. Not only that but they're just fun as hell to use. Nothing says 'joy puke your face off' quite like Gunzerking with a Vladof pistol and a Maliwan slag weapon :D

SMGs: Tediore - Tediore SMGs hold their own against other SMGs for damage, firing speed and accuracy, but what tips it over the edge is Tediore's reload mechanism. Tediore SMGs are by far the easiest Tediore class for me to throw at enemies and they're hella useful in desperate situations like Fight For Your Life.

Shotguns: Hyperion - A fully-automatic shotgun that gets more accurate as you fire? Don't mind if I do!

Assault Rifles: Vladof - I don't always use assault rifles, but when I do I use the manufacturer with the high DPS.

Sniper Rifles: Jakobs - DAT CRITICAL HIT DAMAGE.

Rocket Launchers: Bandit - I almost never use rocket launchers, but the three projectile shot is pretty good, especially at closer range. Good for splash damage.

Grenades: Hyperion - Singularity grenades are just really damn effective, what can I say? :D

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Pretty much the same but I enjoy Maliwan SMGs. Tourge assault rifles will also always have a special place in my heart. Oh, and the way Tediore launchers work is superior to... basically anything else.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Shotguns: Jakobs, as they have the most per shot (aside from Torgue, but their shotguns are usually horribly inaccurate, even by shotgun standards) and the Sheriff's badge makes their small clip a non-issue.

Rifles: Vladof or Bandit for machine guns (because they can pump out so many bullets), Torgue for semi-automatic rifles as they can rival Sniper rifles in terms of raw firepower.

Rocket Launchers: Usually Torgue for their massive damage per shot and large AoE, but the Bandit "Rocket Shotguns" pack a hefty punch too (especially that Legendary one that fires 6 rockets per shot and has a 6-shot clip.)

Pistols: Jakobs/Torgue for revolvers, Bandit/Vladof for Repeaters, I don't really use either that often so my preferences are less "informed"

SMGs: Maliwan, as they seem to make most of the best SMGs (Hellfire, Bad Touch & Good Touch to name 3, maybe Chulainn as well.)

Snipers: Never really used them, would probably be Jakobs for the same reason as Shotguns though.

Grenades: Maliwan, Transfusion Grenades were my go-to grenade in the first Borderlands, and that hasn't changed one bit. Slag Transfusions in particular are amazing if you can get them.

And as a general rule I don't really like Tediore (speaking as somebody with Obsessive Reloading Disorder, I despise their reloading mechanic cause it makes me waste ammo) or Hyperion (I prefer to aim, then fire, thank you very much.)

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
Torgue for everything that they make, with honourable mentions to hyperion shotties, bouncing betty grenades, vladof pistols and rifles and bandit launchers.

Sniper: not much of a fan of snipers, especially seeing how i main krieg, but jakobs are awesome for their power alone.

SMG: hyperion, because blood filled guns makes the whole " waste half the clip for accurate aim" to " waste 2% of a clip for accurate aim." although the legendary smg removes all the problems as only 2 bullets are wasted and mine features a base clip of 52.

Why i love torgue: because krieg is a charger style character, he gets in close and therefore makes slow projectiles a non concern, and the spitter rifles are just amazing for close quarters.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Rocket Launchers: Tediore by far. Reloading grants you an extra explosive charge, and they reload incredibly quickly as a result.

Pistols: Dahl, although I also like Tediore (I like Tediore for everything, they do more explosive damage when reloading than some Torgue weapons). They're reliable in damage and fire rate.

Shotguns: Jakobs, because I hate the need to pull the trigger constantly, but shotguns have low ammo capacity, and they hit hard.

SMGs: Tediore again, although I'm alright with Maliwan (especially as Maya).

Assault Rifles: Vladof or Dahl, for good fire rate and reasonable damage.

Sniper Rifles: I almost never use them so anything here will do.

Grenades: Torgue, mostly MIRV grenades. My favourite kind is singularity though. Mostly, I will use whatever is most powerful.

I almost never use Bandit or Hyperion. Bandit is only good for magazine size and hits poorly (and looks terrible), and I can't stand the slowly-regain-accuracy part of Hyperion, although if its significantly better than a gun I have then I will use it. Never Bandit though. Basically, the things I look for are reasonable damage, reload speed and fire rate, always fire rate. Torgue rarely gets a use either because their fire rate is horrendous.

Mooghens

Apr 17, 2013
Pistol: Torgue. If you are using a small gun, you better damn make sure its got an effect (Unkempt Harold FTW).
SMG: Tediore simply because you can hurl em. Closely followed by Bandit for large mag cap
Assault Rifle: Torgue because of awesome explosive power. Spitters rock, and will kill goddamn near anything
Sniper rifle: Either Jacobs or Vladof. One hits hard, the other can easily be hipfired in a pinch
Shotgun: Tediore because they can be tossed. Seriously, if you use a tediore shotguns trigger to anything other than to make it able for throwing, you are doing it wrong. Tossing a tediore shotgun will do more damage at range than what you could ever hope to achieve with any other shotgun.
Rocket Launcher: Vladof. Rapid fire rockets? YESSIR!

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Shotguns: Jacobs Coach Gun.
30,000x13-ish damage, 2.3 Reload, 4 shot clip, 2 ammo consumed, no fire delay.
Perfect gun for 70% reduced reload and 600 stacks of anarchy.
I also adore my 1.9 reload/1 ammo consumed Jacobs shotgun for that Stacking speed.

SMG:Bandit for the Slagga. Though I'd probably take Maliwan any other day.
Assault Rifle: Sort of cheating but Vladof? I guess... I like it for Captain Blade's Rapier and that 200% bayonet. Not because of Vladof or their rifles... I'm purposely not playing Assault Rifle Gaige because I enjoy Shotgun/Melee more.
Rocket Launcher:Tediore. I hate long reload times and Anarchy makes normal fire impossible, the reload however is not governed by accuracy.
Grenades: Maliwan. Magic Missile.
Pistol: Maliwan. Rubi and GrogNozzle. Lifesteal+With Claws.

No reason for me to ever hold the rest of the weapons.

Aarun

Apr 10, 2013
Pistol: ?. I rarely use Pistols, so I can't particularly give an answer here.
SMG: Maliwan. I really enjoy their elemental effects on the SMGs.
Assault Rifle: Vladof. In particular, their Assault Rifles which have no scopes or any form of secondary effect on them. I prefer straight out iron-sights with good DPS.
Sniper Rifle: ?. Same with Pistols, rarely use them.
Shotgun: Toss up between Torgue, Tediore or Hyperion. Torgue and Tediore are both extremely powerful, but Hyperion has that utility that I just love when 'zerking, so I can't decide!
Rocket Launcher: ?. Once again, rarely use them.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Pistol: Jacobs for the power and style, Maliwan if an elemental pistol is needed.

SMG: Tediore(elemental) or Maliwan, I swap between the two as I level.

Shotgun: Jacobs for power or an e-tech gun for slag splatter though I prefer Tediore for this.

Rocket Launcher: Tediore unless I have the Maliwan legendary(Krieg hardly ever reloads due to his gigantic magazine 24/0 at his best currently)

Assault Rifle:Hardly use them but usually Vladof when I do.

Sniper Rifle:elemental Vladof

Grenade:Maliwan for med kit / Torgue for power. Both kinds either longbow or homing.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Pistols: Vladof are probably the best, but I tend to use Dahl more than anything. I've used a Hornet as my go to anti-armour weapon for ages, and I don't tend to use more than one of a single weapon type in my standard setup.

SMGs: Maliwan usually. The Hellfire is still a beast whenever it's usable. Since UVHM I've been using the SMG slot for my Slag weapon, which used to be a Slagga (even though I dislike Bandit weapons mostly). Now with the Florentine it's Maliwan all the way.

Shotguns: Hyperion definitely. I used a Conference Call at level 50 though I've not had one since. Still, a plain purple Practicable Thinking ripped through everything at close range. Since Tina's, I got a Butcher from one of the new slot machines, not a particularly good one looking at the parts, but it's still pretty spectacular.

Assault Rifles: Either Vladof or Torgue. Dahl barrels give you the best all round weapons, so Roots and Renegades are my favourite types (I'm a bit disappointed with the legendary Rifles though to be honest; why did the Ogre have to be a Spitter?). Trouble is I've not seen a good one for ages. Even scouting the Torgue machines religiously I've not found a Root like the one I had at level 50 :(

Sniper Rifles: Vladof! The Lyuda is such a ridiculously strong weapon. I reach for it immediately when a Constructor spawns.

I've never actually used any Launchers in my 400 hours playing the game, believe it or not.

Captcha "sun is shining". No, Captcha, it's half past twelve at night.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Pistol - Dahl, mostly because they do a hell of a lot of damage and they have decent accuracy and clip size too.

SMG - I honestly don't think I've ever used an SMG past the first zone.

Rifle - I rarely use Rifles, often choosing a pistol over one, but probably Jakobs, just like a meatier revolver with more bullets.

Sniper Rifle - Jakobs, they do a hell of a lot of damage, and being able to fire as fast as you pull the trigger really helps.

Shotgun - BANDIT, huge clip sizes = great shotguns.

Rocket Launcher - BANDIT, being able to fire 8 salvoes of 3 rockets can really do some damage.

Grenade - BANDIT/ Torgue for their MIRV grenades, helps to clear a room, and the Bonus Package legendary grenade is just bloody amazing.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
While I will obviously gravitate towards whatever I have with the best stats, here are my preferences.

Pistol: Usually Maliwan, but if not using Elemental then Vladof.

SMG: Maliwan

Rifle: Bandit, because when you get a high damage one you can spray forever.

Sniper Rifles: I rarely use them but when I do, always Jakobs.

Shotguns: Jakobs for sheer damage, although I like Hyperion elemental shotguns.

Rocket Launcher: Bandit. Tons of splash damage with big clip sizes, great for getting second wind.

Grenade: Maliwan for transfusions that can slag/corrode/whatever. Have saved my ass many times.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Maliwan for everything they produce except sniper rifles, Jakobs for sniper rifles (the hawkeye specifically). I just didn't find a use for other manufacturers. Maliwan might have decreased damage, but that doesn't matter when the enemies take double damage when exposed to their weakness, and it's rare to encounter groups with multiple weaknesses. Just carry one corrosive smg and a hellfire (and maybe a lightning smg if you really run into that many enemies with strong shields, I never did) and you're good to go. This becomes even more of the case late game when even the lowliest bandit can absorb entire magazines of gunfire to the face, leaving non elementals hoplessly outclassed (incidentally this is also why the bee is hands down the best piece of equipment in the game). Jakobs for sniper rifles solely because of the hawkeye. Its 600% damage bonus to critical hits means it's one of the few weapons that can outdo elemental weakness bonuses.

Oh, right shotguns and rifles. Shotguns is a tossup between Torgue and hyperion. Torgue for sheer damage output and Hyperion since it can nail enemies with every pellet from 300 yards with a rapid rate of fire. Hands down Hyperion if I'm comparing legendaries. The conference call is awsome, the flakker sucks.

Rifles: Probably vladof due to the high rate of fire and reasonable accuracy (though I rarely use these at all in favor of maliwan smgs).

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
archvile93 said:
The conference call is awsome, the flakker sucks.
I'm starting to wonder if the flakker is a joke weapon, I've yet to find a time where it was useful... at all.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
archvile93 said:
I'm starting to wonder if the flakker is a joke weapon, I've yet to find a time where it was useful... at all.
It's for taking out airborne enemies from what I've heard, so it's not completely useless, but far too situational to be viable.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
archvile93 said:
-Dragmire- said:
archvile93 said:
It's for taking out airborne enemies from what I've heard, so it's not completely useless, but far too situational to be viable.
I've heard that too but I can't seem to hit anything with it, even larger bosses seem to evade the flakker's fireworks in my experience.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Pistols: Vladof. Get yourself one with the Vladof spinning barrel (Anarchists), and it's a ranged chainsaw. Hyperion are great, too. Underrated with a disappointing legendary. Logan's Gun. The turd encased in gold.

SMGs: Tediore. I love all the others, but tediore SMGs are life savers. All Tediore guns have that potential. Baby Maker, FTW!!

Assault Rifles: Vladof. Quick, strong and nasty. Great, reliable all-rounders. Shame the Shredifier is unfarmable...

Sniper Rifles: Vladof! Easily the most versatile. Work great on the hip as high-powered assault rifles, and deadly at long range. Lyuda/White Death is everyone's choice as a legendary.

Shotguns: My least favourite weapon class. I could really go for any, but I'll pick Bandit. They're probably the only thing Bandit does well consistently, besides Launchers. Quick, reliable and strong. I've never had a legendary besides the useless Flakker...another turd encased in gold.

Launchers: Another tough one, which has the coolest legendary sways my decision. Yesterday, King Mong dropped me an amazing shock badaboom with increased clip size, the best I could have gotten, in my opinion. But for general use, Vladof, quick, and you get more rockets when you keep firing for a while!

Grenades: Vladof. Large AOE, high DPS. Can't beat 'em. Legendaries come in all elements!

Shields: Vladof. Dude, fuck getting hit, I'll absorb bullets so I can shoot more, thanks.

Now, you'll never guess who's my favourite manufacturer...also, fun facts: Vladof has the most legendaries! That is the Fire Bee, Infinity, Shedifier, Mongol, Lyuda, Pandemic, Storm Front, The Sham and the Transformer. 9. 3 of which (the 3 former) suffer what I have dubbed "the Vladof curse", they have no registered drop source. The Infinity can drop from Doc. Mercy on playthrough 1, though. In other interesting wierdness, Vladof owns the only E-Tech grenade, the Breath of Terramorphous.

Mikeyfell said:
Call me noob if you like but I love the Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold.
Dude...what? I can't believe people call you a noob for that, I'd call you a pro who knows his stuff. The power of the raid bosses (and sometimes regular enemies...) definitely warrant weapons of that power. The only thing I'd consider calling cheap is the Conference Call/Bee Shield combo.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Call me noob if you like but I love the Double Penetrating Unkempt Harold.
I can't stand Toruge weapons but that one is da-bomb.
You can call me a cheater if you want, but I also held on to the Grog Nozzle
Other than that though I'll use the Unforgiven or the Maggie (So Jacobs)

SMG's: I've got to go with the ***** (Which is Hyperion) I have a ***** with a Slag effect, and a Cat class mod my Siren is unstoppable.

Sniper: Jacobs
Shotgun: Jacobs

Rocket Launcher: If I ever find a god damn Norfleet I'll say Maliwan but until, then I don't use Rocket Launchers. (Blasphemy!)

AR's: Fuck AR's. Although I did take my level 61 down to TVHM with a Shredder to grind out "Crouching tiger hidden assault Rifle" So I guess Vladof but seriously Fuck AR's

Grenade: I switch around a lot. Like a ton. Between singularity, Slag Bouncing bonnie and X10 Mirv.
Gunzerker with Double the fun. EVERYTHING DIES! Especially when I blast some DPUH shots in the fray. everything else is just for show.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Let's see:

Pistols: Jakobs, particularly the Maggie pistol. And Dahl in second place because I LOVE the Corrosive Teapot. That thing does more elemental damage than any Maliwan pistol I've ever seen.

SMGs: Maliwan all the way. The elemental effects just can't be ignored. I have a Florentine, which does slag and shock damage. Nothing more needs to be said.

ARs: Vladof. And fuck just about everything else.

Shotguns: Hyperion. Shotguns that get more accurate?! Madness! But a good kind of madness.

Snipers: A tie between Vladof for the fire rate and magazines, and Jakobs for damage.

Rocket Launchers: I don't use these that much but if I had to choose...Vladof again because of the Mongol. That thing is just...there are no words. Screw the Badaboom, and the Norfleet can take a hike. The Mongol is supreme.

Grenades: Maliwan. Transfusion grenades to keep me alive on higher levels.

Shields: I love Hyperion and The Bee. But lately Anshin shields have also been taking up a fair bit of damage. Their adaptive properties work wonders against enemies with elements on their side.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
B-but it depends on what build or character I'm using!
DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE. T_T

Pistols: Vladof or Hyperion, though it depends highly on the individual pistol when talking Hyperion. If it's accuracy recovery is good enough then I'll use it. Tediore is wonderful here too.

SMGs: Maliwan and Tediore. Of course Mali's are great at spreading thier respective hurt around and I more or less agree with your reasoning for Tediore.

Shotguns: Jakobs for gunlust Salvadore builds, Hyperion for a crazy Rampage build, and Torgue's are really nice I've found as well, especially for an Anarchy Gaige. Used to hate Tediores, but my recent Tediore Salvador has shown me how damn wrong I was.

Assault Rifles: Not much of a prefference honestly, as I rarely use them.

Sniper Rifles: Jakobs for a normal sniper build. Dahls can be really useful sometimes, but it's a very specific type of setup or situation. Maliwans are good if you've got an elemental build who wants to start the party from afar.

Rocket Launchers: Any. Just whichever has the higest damage, unless I'm specifically looking for an element. I used to be pretty critical about Tediore rockets but I've recently gotten a bit better with them. They're fun.

Grenades: Anything except 'normal' grenades. (Depends on character.)
Singularity's are great for bringing everyone together so Gaige can give a better shotgun hug when she has 200 + anarchy.
Bouncing betties are pretty fun, a good grenade for slagging I've found.
MIRV's are....okay. I can get by with them but the only MIRV I'm thrilled about using is the Bonus Package.
The elemental burst ones are pound for pound the best damage dealing ones for me, especially since they can be stacked so if a particular nasty bad guy comes around, I can just cover him in them.