Favourite Easter Eggs or Secrets in Games

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Title is pretty self explanatory.

My favourite easter eggs are:
The Halo 2 Scarab Gun
This is a long and tedious process that you can possibly fuck up right at the very end. However, the reward is worth it. You get the most powerful gun in the game.

Reenacting (sort of) Frodo's journey in Borderlands 2
Another long journey that ends with some pretty awesome rewards. It's pretty cool because you start by taking the unbreakable gear out of the fire place (Gandalf taking the One Ring out of the fire place and handing it to Frodo). Then you walk the whole way (or drive but no fast travel) just like Frodo did to get to Mt. Doom. Then Geary (Gollum) steals the unbreakable gear from you and jumps in the lava (in the books Gollum is consumed by his delight of having obtained the ring and slips off the edge. Frodo only pushes him in the movie). Then a bunch of raak come and bring you gifts (the Eagles saving Frodo and Sam).

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I've always enjoyed Silent Hill's Silence of the Lambs reference. It's nothing much but it just goes that bit further to adding to the overall horror.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Well I loved the ashes in Morrowind.

There are three unique ashes in Morrowind:

Ashes of G. Lyngas, located in Ravel Ancestral Tomb. There are also four Glass Throwing Stars in this urn.

Ashes of Lord Brinne, located in Samarys Ancestral Tomb. There is also the Mentor's Ring in this urn. Lord Brinne was the online name of Bill Iburg, an Elder Scrolls fan who died unexpectedly during the development of Morrowind. The urn, and his ashes, were placed in the game as a tribute. Lord Brinne also received similar tributes in other games that were in development at the time: Might and Magic VIII, Deus Ex and Ultima IX: Ascension.

Ashes of D. Bryant, located in Falas Ancestral Tomb. There is also the Denstagmer's Ring in this urn.

These three are all dedicated to former regulars at The Elder Scrolls Forums, all of whom passed away during production.

But at least equal to that is the portaits in the Adventurer's Mart in Baldur's Gate 2.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
I like that Bioware throws in Alberta references in their games. It tickles me because I live in the same city.

Examples:

Mass Effect series has an Athabasca class ship (city in Alberta).

Mass Effect 2 you meet Prisoner 403 and 780 (the two Alberta area codes) and 403 is a gibbering fool (subtle dig at Calgary because Edmonton and Calgary are rival cities).

Dragon Age Origins has the town of Redcliff (another city in Alberta).

Though sadly they don't use the Battlefords which is a shame because it's kind of a cool name.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I've got two that are pretty similar to eachother. In call of duty world at war and black ops there is one time during the campaign for both of the games that you can do a series of events that will award you with a ray gun in world at war and a thundergun in black ops. Another one of my favorite eggs is being able to get out of the chair on black ops' main menu and being able to play zori on the terminal.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
It has to be the Secret Cow Level in Diablo II. And the menu minigames in Blops1 (the only good thing about that game)

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
The Granny gang in New Vegas. It was so out of nowhere and it was the first one I came across I found it hilarious.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Nimzabaat said:
I like that Bioware throws in Alberta references in their games. It tickles me because I live in the same city.

Examples:

Mass Effect series has an Athabasca class ship (city in Alberta).

Mass Effect 2 you meet Prisoner 403 and 780 (the two Alberta area codes) and 403 is a gibbering fool (subtle dig at Calgary because Edmonton and Calgary are rival cities).

Dragon Age Origins has the town of Redcliff (another city in Alberta).

Though sadly they don't use the Battlefords which is a shame because it's kind of a cool name.
I also liked the Mass Effect reference in Dragon Age Origins.

"Mass will have an effect," he says.
As long as it lifts us out, I figure.
Should have specified "within my lifetime."
"Gives us time to talk", he says.
"How's a dwarf get named Shepard?"
Up yer shaft.
"No really, because blah, blah, blah."
Axe answers, but I still hear him.
Drip... ground.
Drip... ground.
Worse than his talking.
Think I'll drop out for some air.
Excerpt: Dwarven Verse in One Volume
Selection: Load Limit Reached
Anonymous scratching recovered from a cage hoist... eventually.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
I would have to say the Red Vs. Blue easter eggs in Halo. It's really awesome to see gaming companies referencing fan made stuff and actually using their voice actors.

Apr 28, 2008
In Halo 3, flipping the Elephant vehicle always makes for a giggle.

"Press RB to... wait, how did you do that?!"

Simple, but silly.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
Its the little things in games, like how in Sims 2, if you and your sims spouse eat cheese cake before 'woohooing', you'll have twins if one of you becomes pregnant.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
All of the ones in Rage.
As flawed as that game was, being able to find Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake in them, with their sound effects and music intact was awesome.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
It's an old one but it's always been a favourite of mine:

That is a good one, amplified by the one in Liberty City Stories, if you return to the same place you get this:

<3

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
aceman67 said:
Its the little things in games, like how in Sims 2, if you and your sims spouse eat cheese cake before 'woohooing', you'll have twins if one of you becomes pregnant.
What is that an easter egg for? :S

Mar 30, 2010
Roofstone said:
Grouchy Imp said:
It's an old one but it's always been a favourite of mine:

That is a good one, amplified by the one in Liberty City Stories, if you return to the same place you get this:

<3
I've never played LCS, but that's pretty cool actually.