Favourite fictional currency?

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I like the Souls from Dark souls what a concept! they are exp and a currency. Its a clever concept but not something I'd want in most games.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Bitcoins! no wait, those are pretty useless. :)

But seriously, I've always liked Gil, as I liked Final Fantasy

Toxic Sniper

Mar 13, 2013
Souls; they make sense from both an in-game and a mechanical standpoint, and I love how you can get dialogue like this from the vendors.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
Rai Stones:

"Rai, or stone money, are large, circular stone disks carved out of limestone formed from aragonite and calcite crystals.[2] Rai stones were mined in Palau and transported for use to the island of Yap, Micronesia. They have been used in trade by the locals and are described by some observers as a form of currency."

So basically giant fuck off rocks... Try and steal that, Robin Hood! You stocking wearing little forest tit!

Kilroy17

Jul 18, 2011
Hats from Team Fortress 2, shhhhhhh totally counts. I mean when going to the shops who wouldn't want to rather wear multiple hats on their head than carry money in a wallet? A-ha-ha! You are as PRESUMPTUOUS as you are POOR and IRISH. Tarnish notte the majesty of my TOWER of HATS.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I really like the Moolah from the Oddworld games. It's just a really fun word to say, particularly in The Stranger's accent. Moolah. Moo-lah.

Also the arrowheads from Psychonauts. "They buried their dead here?" "No silly, they buried their arrowheads here!"

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
ItsNotRudy said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Bullets in Metro. It just makes sense. After the end of the world, gold is just a mostly useless, pretty, very heavy metal. Bullets will always be useful.

So yeah, bullets are the best currency. What better way to pay for something than with the capacity to efficiently murder things?
Food? Clothes?
Yes, but you can get food and clothes for free if you have bullets.

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
WouldYouKindly said:
ItsNotRudy said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Bullets in Metro. It just makes sense. After the end of the world, gold is just a mostly useless, pretty, very heavy metal. Bullets will always be useful.

So yeah, bullets are the best currency. What better way to pay for something than with the capacity to efficiently murder things?
Food? Clothes?
Yes, but you can get food and clothes for free if you have bullets.
But if you need to use them, you're effectively burning your currency.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Bottlecaps, won my heart really. Well I know they switched to paper money after Fallout 1, but still, having bottlecaps as cash was just so novel

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
silver wolf009 said:
elvor0 said:
silver wolf009 said:
I like the gold from Adventure Quest, not because it's cool on its own, but because of their wealth distribution system. The one ranger girl is quite proud of how she steals from people and gives money to monsters.

How do you think this dumb son of a ***** got 200 bucks?
That's almost ingenious it's silliness, an in universe reason for monsters dropping pocket change! Someone tell Peter Molonenyu!

On topic: Rupees, mainly because they're precious gems, so all my money is pwetty-full.
Adventure Quest is big on the, "Silly ingenious" sort of thing.

It's like how they explain your ability to fight a monster underwater for hours, because ages ago there was an industrial accident and millions of gallons of water breathing potions were infused with the sea, infecting the hydrosphere, leading to all water being breathable.
Now the question is, why make that much water breathing potion? Hoping to move all of humanity underwater at some point?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Credits, from every sci-fi game ever.

Or groats, from the Destructoid podcast [footnote]http://podtoid.wikia.com/wiki/Groats[/footnote]

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Souls. Improve your stats, buy things, upgrade your weapons, redistribute your power among others or continue the Age of Fire, so versatile. And they even make themselves obvious when you misplace them!

HanFyren

Dec 19, 2011
Groats (spelling)
A currency that sometimes pops up in Jim Sterlings stories/ideas on podtoid.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
ANY fictional currency?
I obviously go with the Triganic Ningi [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Franchise/TheHitchhikersGuideToTheGalaxy], a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side.
Sadly, they're not very tradable or negotiable, based on that the galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change.

EDIT:

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Meat from Kingdom of Loathing. Yes, actual meat, it's not a slang word in the game universe. As an added bonus, regular currency such as gold or diamonds is considered worthless. God, I love that game...

Fluxlunanos

Forgot to remember to forget.
Jun 26, 2011
I would have to go with the Goth from the old Ogre Battle games (64, Tactics ogre). Given the fact that we NEVER actually see them or hear about them I like to think that the currency is in fact actual goths, of the mid 90s popularity. But as to how one would keep a large group of what I think are the ancestors of emos and use them as currency is beyond me. Still amusing to me however.