Favourite Final Level?

Psych the Psycho

Aug 5, 2013
Note: A final level doesn't mean both the level and the ending, it's just the level.

For me, a good final is one that's tense and creates a good build up to the ending.
-Bioshock 2
-The last of us
-Mass Effect 2
-Borderlands 2
-Journey
-Infamous 2 (Both Good and Evil)
-Portal 2

What's your favourite final level?

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Well, if it counts, I really loved Rainbow Road on Mario Kart Double Dash, that was seriously awesome (not the N64 version, that rainbow road was the most long, boring, turd of a level, only made worthwhile by attempting the awesomely difficult short cut.)

If you want a final level, that's actually like a climactic, end of story sort of thing. Half Life 2. That super-charged Gravity Gun was super awesome, and Breen's occasional ramblings really helped build up tension for the climax.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I don;t know if it's a favorite, but the last tileset change(Hell) for Diablo left everlasting imprints on me.

"Open areas....no where to hide A SEA OF RED AND YELLOW AND BLUE"
..or
"Turn corner, find Doomknight convention"
..or
"SO MANY FIREBALLS AHHHHHHHH"

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Ace Combat 4, 5 and Zero all had amazing final missions.

Everything from the intensity of the fights, the dramatic stages, the hectic and emotional radio chatter and some of the most heart pounding, fist pumping, adrenaline fuelling and just downright 'shit-is-about-to-happen' music I've ever heard in a video game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I absolutely love The Last of Us, but its final level was really the weakest part of the whole game, disregarding the very final section ofcourse.

Journey however did have a magnificent final level. Emphasized primarily by how it initially "ends" with what you think might be the actual end, leaving you on the edge of your seat whether it's going to cut itself off right here or keep going. And then that actual final section itself was just orgasmic.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Probably the end of Metal Gear Solid 2. You get to fight with swords to the death.
"Oh, and by the way Jack, I was the one who killed your parents."

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silent Hill 2's final level is perfect. Gameplay doesn't kick up or anything, I think it's just a combination of the story climaxing, the Lakeside Hotel going nuts, the music droning depressingly and maybe the fact that suddenly monsters aren't that scary anymore, since all of the preceding are taking up all of your attention. Also, dual Pyramid Heads!

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Warcraft 3 reign of chaos has the best final level in an rts. When Archimonde is coming up the hill you are like oh shit, and there is nothing you can do to stop him. The final stand is just so tense, hand cramps ahhhhh.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Some of my favourite games-- Resident Evil 3, Arkham Asylum, Guild Wars 2-- have had slightly disappointing finales.

The crown may have to go to Arkham City or Bioshock Infinite, but I'm sure there'll be something more satisfying that I'm just not recalling.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic- I love the dark design of the Necropolis.
Dishonored's last level, especially the last room has a great atmosphere.
Portal was a big one for mee too.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Half Life 2 had a pretty good final level, where you get a supercharged gravity gun that lets you throw combine soldiers arouund directly. It's highly amusing. It does reduce the tension a bit though, because you're having so much fun you forget that the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

SanJ

Dec 11, 2008
Doom 3, Final Battle with the cyberdemon - shit got so real for me, I also thought the build up and the final fight with Jerec (dark forces 2: Jedi Knight) was a solid setup. X-wing alliance wins it though with me hurtling through the Death Star as it started falling down on my ship, Ace Azzamean was the man.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Modern Warfare 3. The final assault on that skyscraper really felt like some last-ditch effort to find the villain and take him down before he could get away, which was really tense.
Mass Effect 2's final level was called suicide mission, need I say more?

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Mass Effect 2. A cummulation of your efforts, a suicide mission.
I prefer the one where some die. Usually Miranda, Samara, and Jacob.

Sonic Adventure 2
Everyone comes back for the final battle, and you fight my favorite final Sonic boss.
<youtube=8H70emkCT8o>

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
For me, it's a toss up between Kingdom Hearts 2
and Mass Effect 2.
Includes the mission prior to it because I couldn't find it separately, but you get my point.

So awesome.
Perfect closing crescendos for the sweeping symphonies that were the games in general.

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Portal's Glados fight.

Mass Effect and Saren

Knights of the Old Republic and The Star Forge

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Gotta give a shout out to Super Mario Galaxy.

The final level itself is equal parts challenging and fun, using all the platforming skills you've learned throughout the game to their fullest.

And then it ends with the most epic Bowser boss fight ever... in the middle of a star.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
All three Mass Effect games had great, meaningful moments (could have done without the stupid Human Reaper and the God Child, but whatevs) that will continue to stick with me for awhile.

Far Cry 3 is a favorite just because of the reaction it evokes, but for all the WTF reasons you can muster. Against that, Infamous 2's double endings were both powerful enough (oops) to make me reflect on my choices in the game.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silent Hill 2's final level is perfect. Gameplay doesn't kick up or anything, I think it's just a combination of the story climaxing, the Lakeside Hotel going nuts, the music droning depressingly and maybe the fact that suddenly monsters aren't that scary anymore, since all of the preceding are taking up all of your attention. Also, dual Pyramid Heads!
I think I like it BECAUSE it wasn't all that scary, weirdly enough. After shitting my pants for most of the game, the final level almost felt... peaceful? I just remember climbing those stairs towards Mary with a sense of purpose. The light rain and James final talk with his wife were very emotional, but it felt like an ending. Of course, I think this worked because James was dealing with his guilt throughout the whole game, and by the time you get to the final boss he's pretty much faced up to what he's done. Therefore it would make since for a lot of the horror elements to subtly disappear, because he's accepted what happened and moved on. Is it weird that the end of that game left me feeling really really happy?

I guess it would depend on the ending you get, but since the "good" ending is the most common, that's the one I'm referring to. Also, if you believe that Silent Hill is just a form of purgatory then that would still be the ultimate ending, and the happiest, because he gets to "pass on" so to speak.