Favourite Final Level?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Most of the final Ganon's Tower like dungeons in Zelda games are a blast, they usually have a bunch of the toughest enemies, good puzzles, general final battle prep.

Metroid Prime 3: When you are on Phaaze where your energy is connected to your Phazon abilities. I makes things tense, but cool since you can go nuts with all of your strong attacks.

Leemaster777 said:
Gotta give a shout out to Super Mario Galaxy.

The final level itself is equal parts challenging and fun, using all the platforming skills you've learned throughout the game to their fullest.

And then it ends with the most epic Bowser boss fight ever... in the middle of a star.
Agreed, same with Galaxy 2.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Mass Effect 2 because it actually felt like you were making life or death choices.

Shining Force because you finally get to fight the main villain who could have destroyed you with a sneeze at the start. The battle has awesome music and then you get to jump straight into the surprise battle with Dark Dragon.

Portal 2 because SPAAACE!

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of them right now.

takemeouttotheblack

Apr 4, 2013
It depends whether you mean the qualities of the level itself or the emotional significance of the level.

In terms of emotional significance, Mass Effect 2 features pretty highly on the list for obvious reasons, as to anextent does Dragon Age 2, simply because they're the culmination of all the emotional work you put into the game thus far. I also quite liked the final level of Assassin's Creed Revelations, simply because it essentially marked the full circle of both Altair and Ezio's journeys. Also, RDR, and Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance, especially depending on what choice you made in the previous mission.

In terms of design, Spiderman 2 was certainly quite challenging and enjoyable, I really liked the end of Dishonoured, and again, Mech 4 Veng was really good. if I'm honest, though, most final levels gameplay wise tend to be a little constrained by the needs of the story, seeing as they often end with a rather disappointing final boss.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Fox12 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silent Hill 2's final level is perfect. Gameplay doesn't kick up or anything, I think it's just a combination of the story climaxing, the Lakeside Hotel going nuts, the music droning depressingly and maybe the fact that suddenly monsters aren't that scary anymore, since all of the preceding are taking up all of your attention. Also, dual Pyramid Heads!
I think I like it BECAUSE it wasn't all that scary, weirdly enough. After shitting my pants for most of the game, the final level almost felt... peaceful? I just remember climbing those stairs towards Mary with a sense of purpose. The light rain and James final talk with his wife were very emotional, but it felt like an ending. Of course, I think this worked because James was dealing with his guilt throughout the whole game, and by the time you get to the final boss he's pretty much faced up to what he's done. Therefore it would make since for a lot of the horror elements to subtly disappear, because he's accepted what happened and moved on. Is it weird that the end of that game left me feeling really really happy?

I guess it would depend on the ending you get, but since the "good" ending is the most common, that's the one I'm referring to. Also, if you believe that Silent Hill is just a form of purgatory then that would still be the ultimate ending, and the happiest, because he gets to "pass on" so to speak.
Exactly, I think most people praise the story of this game because everybody's aboard with James's inner turmoil. By the finale we share his acceptance and his dettachment. I'm so glad I got the Leave ending the first time around, any other ending would've spoiled the narrative. The In Water thing always felt a bit out of character, considering how the game builds up towards the final stretch of redemption.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Probably the final area in Final Fantasy IX.

It's a level that's both very creepy, yet at the same time, very calming. It also has some very nice music:

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Mass Effect 2, hands down.

Second was Soul Reaver 2, because you literally become invincible and, you know, sometimes it's nice to be rewarded for hours of gameplay with an invincible rampage ending, as opposed to some obnoxiously over-developed boss fight.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I'm going older games. Half-Life 2, ending the game with the super-charged Gravity Gun rampage through an army with your limitless supply of energy balls and Combine corpses.

And the "Shoot the moon" moment in Portal 2. I just didn't expect it, mostly because Valve made a psuedo-cutscene of it, which they NEVER do.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Rez had a really cool end level, just great progression in everything:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5SklhG3yo
Fear, it's the mind killer.

The Katamari games also have great final levels where your ball grows to epic proportions.

Of more recent games, I like the way New Vegas approached the final level. It's a little different depending on who's side you're on. GTA4 did something similar: the final level is different depending on who dies at the church.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Persona 4's True final dungeon.
Eerie yet beautiful. The dungeon's theme and aesthetic gave you this sense of dread that the journey was about to end but at the same time gave you this drive to find out why the events of the entire game transpired and to face the very source that seems almost God-like, to the death.

Too spooky man

Also special mention to Mass Effect 2. I haven't played that game in a long time but that final mission is still glued into my brain.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Brave Fencer Mushashi had one of the most awesome final levels. After acquiring the Sky Scroll, the last of the five Scrolls, you are attacked by the Thirstquencher Empire's flying fortress, Soda Fountain. From there, you fight through several floors of traps, boss battles, and minions.

You face off against Ben, who uses his spear, flying pack, and bombs against you. Smash through Ed and his Chi blasts. Battle your way through countless enemy forces. Out dance Topo (literally). And Struggle against the Crest Guardian known as the Tower of Doom. Only to then have to run from the Wizard of Darkness, and then duel him twice. Once as a giant dragon and then as a white magical fencer(?).

It really did make you use all of your abilities to make it through. Plus, the part with all the enemies you can battle through is fun as it let's you utilize all of your combat skills.

And, at the end of the day, you save the Kingdom of Allucaneet without the King or King even seeming to know anything went wrong while they were on vacation.

Jabberwock King

Mar 27, 2011
How about Ocarina of Time? Ascend the tower, kick ass, save the princess, run for your life on a timer while fighting mini-boss rooms (including 2 Iron Knuckles!), and just when think it's safe, boom! Real final boss. Also, you have to make due without the Master Sword for a bit.

Or Halo 1, where you've set the Pillar of Autumn to explode and take out the installation. You've got 5 minutes, a warthog, and a klick'an-a-half filled with Covies and Flood duking it out to cross. And everything is exploding. Like OoT, there's a moment where you think it's over, but then you realize that you reached you're destination with plenty of time, only to see hope burst into flames, and be replaced by a new mad rush for survival.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
I actually really enjoyed the final mini level of Halo Reach. You know going into it that you are going to die, but you weren't just going give in, you were going to take as many enemies with you as you could.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I liked the bad ending of Dishonored. It felt so much more final than the good ending, shit was hitting the fan all over the place

Also the ending to the Last of Us cause:
The whole game trains you protect Ellie but while you're trying to save her you have no idea whether or not you're making the right decision but you can't simply turn back. It doesn't help that the Fire Flies constantly taunt you, reinforcing that they might not really be the good guys

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Metal Gear Solid 4.
After all the flashbacks and memories in Act 4, you're into the last ditch assault to stop Liquid. You go into the microwave tunnel, expecting this to be the end. Program uploaded, mission accomplished, black out.

Then you come to, of a rooftop with Liquid. After all the tech jargon and the talking, its down to the two of you on a roof, unarmed. Best lead up to a final battle I can think of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXcKGp-AA8

Honourable mention to Blood Dragon for
robo dragon with laser eyes

momijirabbit

Nov 2, 2012
Sonic Heroes last level Final Fortress was goddamn epic, set at the center of eggmans fleet during a thunderstorm.
And the music.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
I've always been partial to Kefka's Tower from Final Fantasy VI. Building three parties, potentially having to use a number of under-leveled characters and finding the proper mix, a number of challenging bosses and puzzles. It's what an old school final level should be.