Favourite Game Sequence

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
End of Halo Reach
No spoilers, but that sequence was just so epic. a good way to finish off bungie's last halo.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Lear said:
Sander Cohen's errands in Bioshock.

"Behold, my masterpiece! Go ahead. Touch it. Don't be shy."
My favorite part of that is finding this holotape:

---

There are a few that I really like such as Halo 3, when you take on 2 Scarabs in either a Tank or a Hornet. Epic battle indeed. My absolute favorite though is the murder house in Oblivion. You know, it's a Black Hand quest where you're locked inside of the manor and must murder everyone inside. I always take the stealth route up until the old woman and either the former Blade or, the Nord are left. It's hilarious watching the huge bastards murder the old woman xD

BlackKraken

Apr 4, 2009
Someone said halo:reach in this thread (forgive my laziness for not looking up the name).
Mine in that game would be when Kat dies (dont consider this a spoiler, since u know going in that its not a happy ending).
SPOILER IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW HOW DONT CONTINUE

The way it wasn't a bullshit hero moment like the others, it was over in an instant just a shocking BANG and she was dead, no chance of heroics, no vengeance for comrades, it just struck me as very... real. How death in war really happens, from nowhere, life just being ended suddenly. It caused more of an emotional impact than the others.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
"Vortal Combat", Half-Life 2 Ep 2. Turning an Oh Crap into a Crowning Moment of Awesome with Crowning Music of Awesome since 2007.

*goes to youtube to give the track another listen*

Yep, still good.

Also, Lair of the Shadow Broker and the finale in Mass Effect 2, The Last Enemy that Shall be Destroyed in Red Dead Redemption.

Finally, "The Liberation of Roma has begun." Fuck yeah it has! Between the civilians going from downtrodden and depressed to hopeful and defiant and the change in ambient music from grim and dramatic themes like The Borgia to Echoes of the Roman Ruins, the development team masterfully captured a sense of rising from the ashes, restoring former glory, and overthrowing tyranny. I start new games often just to get to that sequence.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
My personal favorites (in no particular order) SPOILER WARNING!

This game is notable in the sense that it's characters are wll well-developed and likable, and when the suicide mission comes, one where anyone can die depending on the choices you've made.. you really want to keep them all alive.

Kratos is Lloyd's father. Cliche? Maybe, but it does make some sense...

The cut scene after you collect the last Light Tear. It's... interesting to say the least, though I kinda wonder if someone was high when they thought it up...

When it looks like Goofy - of all characters! - has been killed, King Mickey throws off his cloak, pulls out his Keyblade, and proceeds to lay smackdown on the attacking Heartless. Seriously, they made Mickey Mouse into a badass. And it is awesome!

The big reveal: Alex Mercer is dead, and the guy you've been playing as through the whole game is the Blacklight virus itself. Woah... just, woah.

Driving through General Lionwhyte's collapsing fortress... with Dragonforce blaring in the background. Hell. Yes.

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
CrazyGirl17 said:
The cut scene after you collect the last Light Tear. It's... interesting to say the least, though I kinda wonder if someone was high when they thought it up...
That was gonna be my answer. That scene gave me some nightmares for a couple of days.

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
Dutch's final warning to John in Red Dead Redemption. Foreshadowing the ending and turning a villain into an antihero. (I do like Dutch)

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
So many good ones have been mentioned already, dang it guys!

I guess if I had to narrow it down to a couple, I'd pick the nuke scene from COD4 and the entirety of HL2:E2

Bishop99999999

Dec 6, 2007
saucecode said:
End of Halo Reach
No spoilers, but that sequence was just so epic. a good way to finish off bungie's last halo.
Seconded. No other game has ever so convincingly conveyed the idea that you are the only human on a dying planet filled with aliens that want your blood.

Speaking of which, Halo: ODST was at its best when it was just you wandering through a dead city at night. No firefights or bombastic orchestral scores. Just you and the rain, with some of the softest, saddest jazz you'll ever hear.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Metroid (original) and just behind it Super Metroid - the mad escape up the ventilation shaft while the planet blows up around you. It was the hardest pure platforming section of the game, throws in a totally new mechanic (screen tilting) and comes right after you defeat the last boss and you're all like "Yeah, I rock....wait WHAT there's MORE? Crap crap crap crap!"

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
cefm said:
Metroid (original) and just behind it Super Metroid - the mad escape up the ventilation shaft while the planet blows up around you. It was the hardest pure platforming section of the game, throws in a totally new mechanic (screen tilting) and comes right after you defeat the last boss and you're all like "Yeah, I rock....wait WHAT there's MORE? Crap crap crap crap!"
Yeah, I loved the baby Metroid scene from Super Metroid, too. Early Metroid had some great moments.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
more recently is Starcraft II's Replaying of Kerrigan's Capture by the Zerg

From Halo 1 I can sum it up in one quote "you did that on purpose didn't you?"

for an older game it would be the ending of Doom, when you come to earth and not only find out you have lost, but that your pet bunny is DEAD!

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
The boss fight of the Sky Temple in LoZ: Twilight Princess. That was some major epicness.

While I'm at it, I might as well add the cutscene before the bossfight of the fire temple of that game. Sure it was easy to beat, and pretty silly that you had to make him trip and all, but in the cutscene before the actual fight where the shackled Goron awakens his ultimate fire golem form, tearing away the shackles as if it were nothing... It was awesome.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
BiggyShackleton said:

Leon you so cool.

Edit: I realised I could have placed something intellectual or thought provoking here but instead I went for backflips and slo-mo.
So THAT'S where they got that sequence from for the laser corridor in the first RE movie! I didn't realise it was from an actual RE game, even if it was spiced up to make it more awesome... (or am I getting the release dates mixed up? Either way, seems one of the two influenced the other with that... :p).

Anyway, I have to say the end sequences of every Kingdom Hearts game are pretty damn awesome, as well as KH2 having one of the best end boss sequences I've seen for a long time in gaming. Also, the intro of Bioshock, and literally any cutscene from Halo Reach. Particularly the opening, leading into Winter Contingency. Reach is such a beautiful planet, and the graphics of the game only serve to emphasise that...

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
The Reveal of Rapture in Bioshock.
The multiple cut scenes during the final fight of Mass Effect 2, not knowing who lives and who dies added an incredible amount of emotion.
The final scene of Angel tv series oh wait video games, right.
The ending of Portal 2 with the
singing turrets
was cute.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
The final act of MGS3... oh my fucking GOD! Perfection... sheer perfection. Also, the entirety of Shadow of the Colossus.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I always have this vision of how I'll spend my last ever gaming session- playing one of my favourite sections:

Goldeneye.

Facility.

Gold PP7.

I'll get to the end, Shoot Orumov to keep Alec alive, and then it's me and 006 against EVERYONE IN RUSSIA. Mowing them down as they come through the door, frantically picking up KF7 ammo in between rushes, holding our hopeless unwinnable ground as more and more troops pile in, until eventually we get overwhelmed, and bond crumples to the floor as the machine gunfire echoes around the chamber, the terrified soviets pumping round after round after round into my fallen body even after the world fades away...

Also: Bunker 2 on 00 Agent. Finest Prison Break in any game ever made. God I love those throwing knives...

Kaisius

Dec 6, 2010
I think my favorite sequence comes from Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies. The story of the game is told as the recollections of a young boy "adopted" as the mascot of the main enemy ace. Over the course of the game, his recollections reveal that, as you play the game, the enemy pilots all begin to fear and dread flying against "the plane with the ribbon". (Your callsign is Mobius 1 and your plane is marked with a ribbon-like mobius strip.) For the final battle, you are put in the lead of "Mobius squadron" and sent to destroy the last enemy super-weapon. As you approach, you engage the last of the enemy ace squadron. As the two groups close, just before the fight begins, one of the enemy pilots says over the radio, in an absolutely terrified voice:

"Ribbons! They've all got ribbons!"

What's especially fun is, if you accelerate as soon as the mission starts, and time it right, you can lock on and destroy the lead plane just after after that sound clip plays. Puts a smile on my face every time....

A close second is Half life 2 : the siege of cellblock D-7. For the longest time, I'd backtrack to get more crates, tables, filing cabinets, oil drums, etc. to barricade myself in next to the machine gun ammo crate. It was fun, but it was also something of a chore. And then I saw a Let's Play where someone simply tuned the turrets around in their bays and then took cover in the empty one. It turned that whole section into such a elegant engine of destruction. One time, I left it going to make a sandwich. Literally, I made a sandwich. When I came back, Alyx was waiting to head on and I hadn't taken a single hit.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
For me, the best parts will usually be when the game does something that I feel like it'd only ever do for me. For instance, there was this one time in Deus Ex, I'd just gotten into the Hell's Kitchen subway station. Saw an ATM, decided to hack it, got my money and where the hell did you come from Paul?! Christ, bro, ever heard of personal space?

Although, if we're specifically talking about scripted moments, probably the subway tunnel scene from Mirror's Edge. You know, the one where you escape from a SWAT team by jumping onto a speeding subway train, then onto another train, then they hit the emergency brakes on your train and send a third train to finish you off? That was incredible. First part was a little cliched, but still incredible.