Favourite indie movie

Clairaudient

Aug 12, 2008
As sappy as it is, I really liked the film "Once", a low budget Irish psuedo-musical.

It won an Academy award and I'm sure more than half the people at the ceremony thought "What's a 'Once'?"

Kiytan

Feb 23, 2008
Hmm, i recently watched Nil by Mouth, which i loved, terrifying, disturbing and horrible, but yet somehow just brilliant, and so is first in my mind.

sidenote: ray winstone in that film is the only character i've been scared of in a film (been scared BY films, but not by characters in films)

this is not a love song - a modern retelling of "of mice and men" and a bloody good one at that.

28 days later, the first half of that film is the best zombie (yeah they aren't zombies but whatever) film ever created, second half is meh, and really its not all that indie, but deserved to be mentioned. (same as shaun of the dead)

moving away from british cinema, Breathless (/a bout de souffle) is a great film, made purely for the sake of making a fun film.(and breaks just about every "rule" of cinema)

also: i hate ken loach.

Edit: a scanner darkly

Rshady

Jul 22, 2008
La Haine, Run Lola Run, Chungking Express are a few, awesome films. Go see them.

Technically 28 days later isn't independent, because it was funded by a Hollywood studio, but yeah a great film.

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
[Rec]- best horror film I've seen in years. Little Miss Sunshine, Brick, Dog Soldiers, The Grudge (original Japanese version) and Donnie Darko are also personal favs.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Why Pulp Fiction ofcourse, if it is indie enought.

But if we are gonna go really indie I would say Lilja 4 Ever. It's a Swedish film about a Russian teenager who gets abandoned by her mother and tricked into becoming a sex slave. It really is one of the most horrendously tragic things I have ever seen and it basicly looks like a amateur video. Unforunately it is probably almost impossible to get it legaly outside of Sweden but here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p79aKzwkGhQ&feature=related] is a clip of the ending, watch from about 1:58.

Rshady

Jul 22, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus post=18.68209.621873 said:
KONTROLL

Best film ever made.
Out of interest is it that hungarian film set on an underground train station? Involving a killer that pushes people onto the track?

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
I'd have to say Donnie Darko, although Day-Night-Day-Night was pretty amazing; not much of a story to speak of, but probably some of the best direction and most realistic acting I've ever seen.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
Raiders of the Lost Ark. Wait, "indie", not "Indy"? Whoops.
Sorry, had to do it. I was surprised no one did it earlier.

I'd have to say Donnie Darko, just because I know it was indie and I;m not sure about any other movies I've seen.