Favourite JRPG, go!

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Without thinking too hard, when you first saw the title thread which JRPG did you think of? The very first one that popped into your mind? Also tell me how you found said JRPG and if you fancy what was the first JRPG you played?

My favourite is Eternal Sonata. Bought it on PS3 from GAME because it was cheap and didn't regret it. I head the 360 has it too but without some features. As far as JRPGs go it has a brilliant combat system and whilst the story and characters let it down just a little, I give it points for having one of the best soundtracks I've heard and also for filling my head with so many random things. "Piu Grave!" was my line of choice for a good month...

My first was ashamedly Final Fantasy VII. I got into JRPGs pretty late in my childhood after Resident Evil, Metal Gear and The Legend of Zelda has already sunk into my skull.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
The only JRPG I've ever finished was Chrono Trigger. It was OK.

I have also tried Pokemon (the original, I think), Golden Sun, FF Tactics, and probably a couple others I can't recall. They're just not my thing.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Mother 3, because overall I don't like JRPGs, and Mother 3 is hilarious. Friend told me to go play it for ages because of said hilarity, and story line. First JRPG, pokémon if you consider it one (it has TBC, so I do) if not... FF7 I think.
And first JRPG I thought of was FF7, don't hate me please.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
My favorite is Persona 4. I found it through Spoony back when I didn't watch Atlus' news like a hawk.
My first one was Pokemon Blue. I loved that game and it got me hooked on turn-based combat.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I really like the Tales of Vesperia for the 360. Like all Tales games, it starts off cliched as hell but a few hours in and the game completely turns it on it's head. I prefer the story in Abyss, though both stories are pretty good but the combat in Vesperia is awesome. Like other games in the series, it feels like a mix of fighting game and RPG but I think Vesperia polished it a bit over the combat in Abyss.

First one? Does Pokemon count? I still love me some Pokemon.

People who say JRPG's have nothing but turn based combat probably haven't played/seen anything other than Final Fantasy.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

This game was awesome, and I don't even like JRPGs!

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Not sure what game is my favorite, but my favorite series is the Shin Megami Tensei series.

Andreas55k

Oct 15, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
My favorite is Persona 4. I found it through Spoony back when I didn't watch Atlus' news like a hawk.
My first one was Pokemon Blue. I loved that game and it got me hooked on turn-based combat.
Almost the same as you, Exept my first Pokemon was Pokemon silver :)

I absolutely Adore Persona 4... Cant get enough of those characters ^^

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Final Fantasy V! Not the greatest story ever, but the combat gameplay and the job system is fantastic! I've had so much fun with that game building custom class characters. Butz as a Dancer / Time Mage with a ribbon and red shoes anyone? Faris as a devastating Monk / Blue Mage?

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
Persona 3 and 4, full-stop. Good story, characters I co9uld really care about, and NO WHINING EMO TWITS.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
Persona 3 Portable (The storyline of Persona 3 with the battle system of Persona 4 is heavenly) and Persona 4. :D

My first ever proper JRPG that wasn't Pokemon was FFX. :) That was the game that got me into JRPGs properly.

LokiArchetype

Nov 11, 2009
First JPRG I played was FF8 when it first came out, which I loved at the time. That's what really got into RPGs, specifically the FF series as well as the other releases around that time: Legend of Dragoon, Crono Cross, Vagrant Story. And of course, I was in elementary school when the Pokemon craze hit so I got into that and have kept with it.

After that, I searched game sites for highest rated rpgs and googled "best rpgs you haven't played" and found the Tales series (through Vesperia) and the Shin Megami Tensei series (through Nocturne).

So far my favorites are Persona 4 and Vagrant Story

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Persona 4, as is seems most people will/are saying.
Characters are great, story is great, gameplay is great, it's all just great.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Golden Sun, as the only platform I can play JRPG's on and not be annoyed is a handheld, for some odd reason.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Valkyria Chronicles if that counts. If not, then Pokemon Silver, FF7 or FF9.

FF7 was a great game, there's nothing to be ashamed of if you like it.