Favourite male characters in games.

GeneWard

Feb 23, 2011
Just got back from the thread about female characters and found myself wondering: who are your favourite male characters in videogames?
Leave responses below including why, be it for personality, looks, whatever.
Mine:
For personality- Dr. Breen, the lovable bastard and Combine slimeball from Half Life 2.
For situation- Woods, from Call of Duty: Black Ops, for being a cliche, shouty army man who served in 'Nam.
For looks: Booker DeWitt, from Bioshock: Infinite.

Dat hair...

Look forward to seeing your responses!

Madhawk

Nov 26, 2011
I loved the balded, and later haireded heat off of Jim Raynor from Starcraft. I just found him so awesome.

And then there's Three Dog from Fallout 3, while he was only a side-character I listened to GNR a lot, and I felt that he was just so well characterised. And I loved his voice.
I also loved Benny in New Vegas, the awesome use of that 50's slang, his weasely conniving backstabbing personality, his spiffing checkered suit.

But all in all it would have to go to Jim Raynor, the guy was a badass, a central character, and was possibly one of the best characterised characters in RTS history. Though that isn't a difficult feat to achieve.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Erm Joker from Mass Effect I think he is a really well made character It's also nice to see someone with a disability getting put in a place of awesome in a video game.

Link has always been one of my favourite characters (I have named him Charlie since the SNES) I feel like I can project onto him better than most male characters. Probably because he is so open to interpretation.

For looks, I dunno... I have a massive soft spot for Joker but I think that's more down to his personality. Most of them seem overly muscled to me. Nathan Drake has the 'normal guy' looks I like but he's technically related to me so that's weird. Maybe Alan Wake? Yeah I'm gonna go with Alan.

I thought George Stobart (Broken Sword) seemed a decent guy too. :)

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Kyle Katarn

These guys come close

All of the TF2 characters.
Hell all of the male characters by Valve. Expect Nick.
Link

They all spring to mind.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Adam Jensen is a cool guy (at least during most of my playthroughs), and dem glasses...

Also Clayton Carmine, for being a funny guy and a complete badass. The most durable redshirt I've ever seen.

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
- Ezio
- the American agent when playing COOP in SC: Conviction (forgot his name)
- Garret, Masterthief

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
ultrachicken said:
Adam Jensen is a cool guy (at least during most of my playthroughs), and dem glasses...
Thanks.

Here are my favorites:

The absolute favorite is Thomas Angelo from Mafia 1. Best video game character

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Turns out I have a lot of favorites, so I'll narrow it down to the Top 3 of this current generation:

1.Garrus - Mass Effect
2.Bang Shishigami - BlazBlue
3.Wrex - Mass Effect

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Adam Jensen, Gordon Freeman, Garrus, Naked Snake/Big Boss and Batman (Arkham games).
(the latter for nostalgic Kevin Conroy awesomness)

Cole Mcgrath gets an honorable mention.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Big Boss/Solid Snake, Bang Shishigami, Marcus Fenix, Jackie Estacado, Grimoire Weiss (technically a book, but still a guy book!), and Varric.

Lots more from older generations, but thats a pretty good list for now.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
1. Geralt of Rivia (The Witcher 1 & 2)
2. Caddoc (Hunted: The Demon's Forge)
3. Naked Snake (Metal Gear Solid 3)
4. Balthier (Final Fantasy XII)
5. Ico (Ico)

EDIT: Ah, you want reasons. Geralt and Caddoc fight for money and to protect the people they care about in grim worlds, but they also get in a few good one-liners along the way. Naked Snake gets to slog through a jungle rather than an urban environment, is rewarded for not killing people, and has my favorite radio banter of the series. Balthier is a dashing pirate. What do you want? Ico is strong, decent, and sweet. He's sacrificed to an evil power, escapes, finds a strange girl he can't even talk to, discovers that her mother is the evil power, and just when he might really get away, he goes back to save her. Not for revenge or to save the world, just for her. He's one of the most admirable characters in gaming.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
TheYellowCellPhone said:
All the TF2 cast, a bunch of MANLY men fighting MANLY battles.
Except the Pyro...

My pick would probably be Jimmy Hopkins, from Bully. There's a lot of great characters in that game, but Jimmy's the funniest and the one you obviously spend the most time with. The fact that there is a button to yell out insults is the sweetest icing on any cake.

Secondary choice would be Adam Jensen of Deus Ex: Human Revolution fame. His Eastwoodian demeanor and ability to punch anyone in the jaw at any time make him a really fun player character.

Of course, there is always

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I loved the character of John Marston. Former bad guy trying to reform his life and leave his evil past behind to live a normal life with his family. He seems to have a strong sense of morals, though not quite so strong that it stops him from killing a huge number of people who may or may not entirely deserve it to varying degrees.

217not237

Nov 9, 2011
James Sunderland, for being a man trying to face his guilt and fighting his own anger at himself. Junpei Iori, for being afraid that he is a useless, empty person without his powers. Don't get me started on Kanji Tatsumi.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Zelos Wilder would have to be one of my favorite male characters. Beneath his narcissistic attitude lies a wounded soul, and I can't help but sympathize with him. Kratos Aurion is pretty high up there, too, because I wish I had a voice as sexy as Cam Clarke's.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Well quite a few mass effect characters (Kaiden, Joker, Garrus, Grunt, Mordin, Legion (if you can call it male that is)).

David Sarif your boss from Deus Ex HR is quite a cool/interesting character, a nice portrayal of a serious businessman who is also a good guy.

Got a feeling a forgot someone, but meh.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My is Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes. He's somewhat easy to relate to (into anime, lazy at times and pretty much does whatever he liked).